S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Brakes revisited

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brakes revisited

Brakes are making noise now especially in reverse its god awful. I replaced the pads 10k and now they are loud and annoying. Questions,

1. Is this b/c I didnt change the rotors?
2. If I just replace the rotors now with the old pads will the noise go away?

Autozone carries duralast pads
Advance Auto carries bendex fronts and friction master rears. Question,

1. Are these anygood?
2. Should I go with pagid which I believe is oem instead?

Regards,
Steve
Old 04-28-2006, 01:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You probably need your rotors resurfaced. Any good brake place can resurf. Also when you changed did you use MB brake gel? The purpose of that is to keep noise levels low. If you are going to replace the rotors then just replace the pads too. I would go with Akebono ceramic pads from the tire rack simply because most of the pads sold at Autozone are not good for repeated hard stops and after 6-8K miles they start to show.
Old 05-05-2006, 11:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rotor Rooter

I recently changed my front pads and rotors. Did the work myself after a brake shop quoted me $1200. Who ARE these people? And just because I drive a Benz doesn't mean I throw away good money. Any way, I digress.

My 2000 S500 was making a screeching noise every time I braked in reverse. Drove me nuts. The brake shop that tried to steal my money said he wouldn't recommend resurfacing drilled rotors. I agreed with him.I

So I got two new rotors at a local parts house for $100 each. Brake pads were $69 per side. Total job was roughly $350. Makes no noises at all...and I've done hard breaking from 120 miles an hour to zero. They hold like a bad offensive lineman!

I suggest you change the rotors...and check the condition of your pads to make sure they haven't worn irreguarly. Misshaped pads can easily throw your rotors out of line.

Good luck.