S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Help !!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 08:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
$14K seems awfully high to replace/fix what you described. I just had to replace my front bumper (which obviously required painting), the headlight washer and cover, a headlight unit, support brackets (for the headlight and radiator), and repaint a fender - with labor & tax, $5400. It doesn't look like your car has as much damage as mine (some teenage twerps tried to beat oncoming traffic turning across it - I took off their rear bumper, they ran). What is your dealer charging you for, repainting the entire car?

You insurance company should be reimbursing for painting the entire bumper, and it looks like, your trunk lid. That's a panel paint, not spot paint. However, they would not reimburse you for painting the entire car. Definitely negotiate panel paint vs. spot paint.

Check your policy regarding replacement parts. Some companies will only pay for 3rd party parts. Mine calls for OEM. It's a matter of what your contract (policy) says. You can try to negotiate that no matter what the policy says, but in the end you'll be stuck with the policy terms.

In either case, you should negotiate, both with the dealer and the company. Something is seriously off with the kind of differential you have.

I had a black S500 fender repainted a few years ago after some idiot ran a shopping cart into it. Despite my cautions to use only Mercedes-approved paint (I understand there are 4 approved brands), the independent body man didn't. The initial job looked pretty good - great match. However, over time chemicals in the new paint reacted with chemicals in the old, and the new paint stippled. It wasn't worse than a new paint job you see on many new cars, but it wasn't the smooth, deep, and brilliant finish you see on a Mercedes. The repair became very obvious, and it couldn't be polished out. I tried.

The dealer would use MB paint; if your independent shop uses an approved paint, you're probably OK. If he says he know what additives to use for other brands, don't have him do it.

By the way, the dealer did a great job on my silver S500 - see my writeup on American Service Center, Arlington, VA. The dealer says the Mercedes OEM paint makes it easy.

Don't shoot anyone stealing property unless your state has a "make my day" law. In many states use of deadly force is authorized only to defend your person, not your property. In a few states, this gets very stupid - you have to "retreat" (for example, to your bedroom) AND fear physical harm before you can use deadly force. While I suspect Texas (of all places) would not have such restrictive laws, you should check with a local attorney (or your local PD).

I also suggest a home alarm system - with a motion sensor in the garage. Put it on a side wall so it doesn't pick up folks passing by when the door is open. Be sure it sounds in the house. Most modern alsrm systems can be wired to allow different sensors to be activated for different purposes. Our Florida house (which we won't occupy full time until the end of the year) is set up with full perimeter alarms, interior motion sensors, water and fire sensors, and is monitored full time when we're away. When we're in the house, the motion sensors are deactivated and the rest remain active.

It's better than going to prison for shooting someone who deserves to be shot, because legislators can be idiots.

Last edited by Skylaw; 05-20-2006 at 09:03 AM.
Old 05-20-2006, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 S500, 2004 LX470
Glad to see you got your car back. I used to live 20 miles from Mexican border, be it TeleAid, OnStar or LoJack you really had to get those things turned on fast or the car would disappear into Mexico.