S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Poor Radio Reception

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Poor Radio Reception

I have a 2000 S500 with COMAND 2.5. I also have a Sirius satellite radio hard wired to the unit for power, using wireless FM. Somehow, my radio reception has gone south. Both AM and FM. When I scan for a station, it doesn't stop. The antennas are all hooked up to the head unit. Any ideas out there what might be wrong? Could the antenna lead be disconnected somewhere else?

My NAVI system doesn't read satellites, either. Dealers have told me various reasons for this (from a bad head unit to bad antenna), so who knows what the truth is.

Are these COMAND units serviceable? If not, what a waste!
Old 05-08-2006, 11:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Where did you get your sat hard wired? They might accidentally disconnected the antenna lead. Also did you tint your rear window? Too dark of a tint and kiss your am recption goodbye. FM is stronger so it servives.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FM Reception

Thanks for the input. I connected the Sirius radio myself. I keep the satellite radio in the little bin beneath the ashtray. Now I can use my cig lighter to power up other things and still listen to Sirius.

The problems with the FM reception began before I did this. Someone was telling me that there is a signal amplifier or something to that effect that might be malfunctioning. The audio level is much lower when listening to the radio than when I listen to a CD.

As for window tinting, the car does have dark tint installed. I just bought it in October, the windows were already done. What I don't get is how the tint, which obviously is installed inside the vehicle, can impact the signals coming hitting the glass from the outside.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:41 PM

Your FM antenna is embeded on your rear window. MB windows a laminant windows. Somehow if you add really dark tint it impairs your reception.
Old 05-08-2006, 04:59 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2004 S500
I don't know if this applies but I installed XM in my F-150 SuperCrew and when my XM receiver is on I can't receive Am or FM worth a Siht. I have to make sure power is off on my XM to receive any thing else...just a thought.
Old 05-08-2006, 05:37 PM

Depending on how your FM modulator is wired, you have to turn off the unit to get reception. Most modulators use your FM antenna plug to pass through the modulator and back to your command. If the unit is on, then the modulator takes priority over your regular radio reception and uses one of the regular stations to modulate. The best way to get good reception especially with sat radio is direct input. You can use aux input that is hidden in the glove compartment or if you dont have it, just purchase the harness from MB and have it installed and the aux mode activated. It's really cheap. Sat radio is better than FM radio so why get sat hook up then drop the sound back to FM frequency????????