SRS Warning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 09:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
W220 S65 AMG
SRS Warning

Driving the car for about 15 minutes, all of a sudden, my display turns red and it says:

RESTR. SYS. DEFECT!
SRS
VISIT WORKSHOP!

I can clear it out with the R button, but the SRS light stays on.

I pulled over, turned the car off, turned it back on, 10 seconds later the same message comes on.

Any clue to what this could mean and if it's seriouse?
Old 05-16-2006, 09:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lexus
Originally Posted by Oxygen
Driving the car for about 15 minutes, all of a sudden, my display turns red and it says:

RESTR. SYS. DEFECT!
SRS
VISIT WORKSHOP!

I pulled over, turned the car off, turned it back on, 10 seconds later the same message comes on.

Probably the seatbelt sensor.. Usually airbag problems with w220 is clockspring in steering wheel..
By any chance did you get your car cleaned up recently.. Wet carpet (from a carpet cleaner) will sometimes kill the seatbelt latch sensor or render it disabled until it dries.

Either case, your under warranty right?? Just take it in to the dealer.

Good luck.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 S65 AMG
Originally Posted by williws
Probably the seatbelt sensor.. Usually airbag problems with w220 is clockspring in steering wheel..
By any chance did you get your car cleaned up recently.. Wet carpet (from a carpet cleaner) will sometimes kill the seatbelt latch sensor or render it disabled until it dries.

Either case, your under warranty right?? Just take it in to the dealer.

Good luck.
It's a pain in the *** to go to the dealer, since they can't give me a loaner since I'm under 21, so then some one from MB has to drive me home, then I need some one later on in the day to drive me back, so I try to avoid the dealer as much as possible.

I turned the car on this morning, drove to work for about 30 minutes and no warnings. I remember reading some where that proximity cards may screw up teh SRS system. I had my wallet (with my proxy card in it) along with my cell phone and a birthday greeting card on the passenger seat last night, maybe it triggered it?

Let's hope for the best.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
V12TT

RESTR. SYS. DEFECT!
SRS
VISIT WORKSHOP!

I got the same big red warning this morning... what was your fix?
Old 09-25-2008, 05:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 S65 AMG
Originally Posted by benz_addict
I got the same big red warning this morning... what was your fix?
Never fixed it, it never came up again after restart.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12TT
Never fixed it, it never came up again after restart.
lucky you I hope the same thing happens with me I already left a message at dealer to make an appointment couple times but they never call back anyway, it's not their thing.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:27 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 S500 Sport
Im not sure what SRS means But I know if I drive(Shift to D) within .5 seconds of turning my car on I hear the wheels/brakes grind and SRS light lights up until I let off the gas.
Old 09-26-2008, 12:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12TT
Mine is not going off I think it's a faulty airbag that needs to be replaced or something.

I will see.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:12 AM

2003 S-600
SRS system probably went haywire for a second and triggered the fault.. The SRS light will not shut off on its own.. It has to be shut off from the STAR or any other diagnostic computer that can access the airbag system..

I moved the pass seat too forward and minutely pulled the plug out of the brain.. My SRS light was on for 2 weeks until I had my friend clear the code with his computer..
Old 09-26-2008, 09:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12TT
Originally Posted by Kwik SC
SRS system probably went haywire for a second and triggered the fault.. The SRS light will not shut off on its own.. It has to be shut off from the STAR or any other diagnostic computer that can access the airbag system..

I moved the pass seat too forward and minutely pulled the plug out of the brain.. My SRS light was on for 2 weeks until I had my friend clear the code with his computer..
You are right my OBD can't pick it up or clear it.

The fix was losing the connectors under both front seats and making a solid soldered connection.

I called the dealership they said absolutely no to clearing the light for safety reasons from their part. They want $220 for diagnostic aka linking their computer to my car... What choice do I have?
Old 09-28-2008, 12:32 AM

2005 S500 4Matic
Originally Posted by Gondon
Im not sure what SRS means But I know if I drive(Shift to D) within .5 seconds of turning my car on I hear the wheels/brakes grind and SRS light lights up until I let off the gas.
SRS stands for Supplemental Restraint System. It includes, amongst others, the airbags, the belt tensioners, the seat occupancy sensors, the latch sensors (I mean the sensor for installed child seats to switch off the airbag of that seat) and I think Pre-Safe is part of it as well.

Sorry, that I can't help with your problem, though.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12TT
Turned out to be some clock spring in the steering. $800 P/L + taxes. They cleared the light for now and will see if it returns. I had to sign a waiver meanwhile...
Old 10-22-2008, 10:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12TT
Well the light is back on. The clockspring has to be replaced. Can this be a DIY? Help?
Old 03-25-2010, 03:27 PM

First off, no flaming for grave digging. It doesn't make any sense creating a new thread for this.

Anyhow, my dad drove the car today and I sat on the passenger seat. Upon adjusting the passenger seat, the SRS light came on. After doing a bit of reading about this issue, there are many possible scenarios to consider: loose sensor connection, bad program issue, tension belt something, moisture, and/or (what's a) clockspring (?).

This car had virtually no problems since buying it CPO (54k kms under its belt) until i decided to go for a car wash. The problem surfaced the next day. Anyway, I'm 0-tech knowledge on this car. My question for now is, since it appeared after i adjusted the seat that it might be this sensor under the seat, where can i locate it? What other self diagnostics can i do on my own for now. Mind you, i don't have any computer diagnostics for this car.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:26 PM

S500
I am having the same problem. Going to look at the problem tomorrow if the weather is nice. To answer your question...the clockspring is behind the steering wheel. Basically allows everything in the wheel to make contact with the column.
After reading here on the forum, I am going to check the connections under the seat, make sure they aren't frayed or damaged.
The other thing you should check is that the carpet on the passenger side isn't wet. Water can enter the fresh air intake if there is a clog under the hood vent. If the carpet is wet, chances are the electronics under the back seat got wet.

Good luck and I will report if I solve my problem.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:59 PM

Thanks for the response.

The interior is water-tight and no leaks or any evidence of it. Checked the wires under the seat which triggered the srs warning light and there was nothing evident to me that would've caused this to go off.

I took it to the dealer to have it checked. Fault code found was 91A3 and the resistance was found to be too targe. Electrical tests done and it was found that an open circuit in harness for the lead seat belt buckle was the culprit. They took out the seat, replaced it, cleared the codes and it was solved.

Good news is that this car is still under warranty so, while owning this car, its a win for me.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:51 PM

2003 S-430 Sport
Originally Posted by benz_addict
The fix was losing the connectors under both front seats and making a solid soldered connection.
It seems the "fix" above might be above my capacity to implement if it requires soldering and taking the seats apart. How exactly did you do it?

I had this cleared by a non dealer with the software twice already and it keeps coming back. Each time the code points to the seat sensor and the seatbelt recepticle. The recepticle works fine so not sure why that code would come up.

My driver's side seatbelt at times gets stuck though will not extend (hence I can't put it on) Its as if it thinks it's in an accident and will not allow me to pull it. I've tried any number of speeds, directions, etc. same result. And yet at times it works fine. Perhaps this has something to do with it as well even if the "code" doesnt show it?

I hate to think I'm going to have to pay thousands to the dealer just to have them remove this light and fix this thing but I can't keep driving with this seatbelt issue anymore.

any final saving thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 03-29-2010, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
Originally Posted by Collantes_CC
This car had virtually no problems since buying it CPO (54k kms under its belt) until i decided to go for a car wash.

very common.

check the reed valve recall, water can be entering your cabin from the climate control

https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...-flooding.html
Old 03-29-2010, 04:16 PM

^ Noth familiar with that problem but i'll try to read up on it. I've had both service A and B done and they, the dealer, did not address any issue that may be related to this. Anyhow, more reading before i say anything else.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:13 PM
Banned

2001 SL500, '09 Murano, '04 Honda
Had the same exact problem this morning on my 2001 SL500. Brought it to the dealer and its' the clock spring. $220~ to fix. UGH. I love my car but its killing my wallet!
Old 05-11-2013, 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
W215 V12TT Build by Speedriven, W221 S550 4Matic
same problem but my car turned off when this happen and now i ant start it. I pulled battery cable off and back on still nothing. car seems like it has no power at all until i twist kkey insude the ignition