S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Lexus GS License Plate Lighting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S500 Designo/Mocha Black
Originally Posted by ironcheflam
use the 2w 100ohm resistors and you will be fine dont use the big ceramics ones that the other thread shows you if you want i can take pics of mine.
How long have you been using it? Please take some pics of the resistor(s) if its as big as the other one, and the location where you installed it.

Thanks,

RICH
Old 08-15-2006, 12:14 AM

Lexus GS 450h
Yes, the new Lexus GS and IS and all upcoming models have LED lights for the license plate as well as for the interior. It makes quite a lovely difference.
The Lexus 600l H will have LED headlights next spring.

The lights are a fairly simple and inexpensive job and LED lights will last a very long time. Maybe poeple are retro-fitting them.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:02 PM
Almost a Member!

S430
i've been using them for a couple of months now i will take pics tonight when you can see them
Old 08-22-2006, 10:39 PM

S500 Designo/Mocha Black
Originally Posted by luxse
hi all,

With Oxygen's recommendation, I went ahead and ordered the LED lights for the liscense plate.

Does anyone know the bulb type and size for all the interior lights for the w220 s600 as well? I wanted to switch all the lights on over to white "xenon-look" LED's as well. I saw them on a lexus GS430 and thought it was pretty neat looking. I was a bit disapointed that mercedes has not caught on to the benefits of LED lighting for the interior yet.

Anyways please let me know if anyone out here is familiar with interior bulb sizes and specs. If not I'll do some research and post the results on here in about a month.

Thanks in advance for any input!
-luxse
I had some time today so I took all the sizes and I'll try to order some lights and see how they look.....hope not to ricey. Here are the interior festoon bulb sizes for my S500:

Glove box: 39mm
Front Overhead: (2) 42mm
Rear Overhead: (2) 42mm
Rear Vanity Mirror: (4) 39mm
Step Courtesy Light: (4 doors) 39mm
License Plate: (2) 39mm

all are 10mm-11mm thick.

I missed the trunk and also the rear floors are not bulbs, so those I'll have to look into.

RICH

Last edited by qriousrich; 08-22-2006 at 11:27 PM.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:07 AM

2000 S-Class
Originally Posted by qriousrich
I had some time today so I took all the sizes and I'll try to order some lights and see how they look.....hope not to ricey. Here are the interior festoon bulb sizes for my S500:

Glove box: 39mm
Front Overhead: (2) 42mm
Rear Overhead: (2) 42mm
Rear Vanity Mirror: (4) 39mm
Step Courtesy Light: (4 doors) 39mm
License Plate: (2) 39mm

all are 10mm-11mm thick.

I missed the trunk and also the rear floors are not bulbs, so those I'll have to look into.

RICH
Hey Rich! Love the new look! How much $$$?? Also can you PM me a breakdown of all the interior bulbs and sizes once you've finished. I'm trying to accomplish the same feat! Talk to you later!!
Old 09-07-2006, 01:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMG E55, Stage 1, Strait Pipe from Primary Cats
Originally Posted by dtxmob
Hey Rich! Love the new look! How much $$$?? Also can you PM me a breakdown of all the interior bulbs and sizes once you've finished. I'm trying to accomplish the same feat! Talk to you later!!

here is an early post of mine.

I played with led's about a year ago on my benz and my burb. I ended up using none on my benz after comparing the the different looks.. I also noticed there are some led's that are cheap in quality. You would think that these led bulbs would last 10 times longer which I found not to be true also. I get my 194 super white halogens from http://superlumination.com/ They are also dirt cheap and durable.

I also found the red tails / brake lights with the bluish license plate led's clashed badly (red/blue combo ) and looked ricey to me.
Old 10-14-2006, 08:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW E39
I know I'm resurrecting this thread, but Oxygen, any updates on the wiring of larger resistors?

My LEDs finally went today. The resistors were burnt. Was fun while they lasted.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:16 AM
Almost a Member!

500SEC, ML430, SLK230, S600
I installed four of them, and all of them have since failed. I replaced them with the original bulbs.

You're right, Newton. They look gorgeous when they work. I might try a "super white" halogen light, especially considering that they shouldn't require the resistors.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:23 PM

XLR
Originally Posted by Wintermute
I installed four of them, and all of them have since failed. I replaced them with the original bulbs.

You're right, Newton. They look gorgeous when they work. I might try a "super white" halogen light, especially considering that they shouldn't require the resistors.
I agree it looks very coool! I tried the halogens too but they only lasted four months or so. They were twice the wattage and melted some of the clear plastic a dark brown. I couldn't seem to find the right watt bulb in blue. oh well.