S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

S-Class vs. LS430 vs. 7 Series PLEASE READ, NEED INPUT

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.33 average.

Old 08-23-2002, 06:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2008 BMW M6, 2008 Ducati 1098, 2008 Ducati Monster S2R1000, 1971 Ducati Scrambler
The LS is just plain ugly, the GS looks like a cheap knockoff of the E-Class and the ES looks like a Hyundai.

None of them come with a full suede roof or leather dashboard, wood in every possible place, etc. The S600 is far more luxurious than any Lexus.

The Lexus television commercials are just so phoney, lol.

The only thing Lexus has going for it is the superior navigation system, but Mercedes-Benz will take the lead in that category this January when the new DVD nav system is released.

Toog4me, we just have different opinions, nothing wrong with that .

Last edited by Accord; 08-23-2002 at 06:33 PM.
Old 08-23-2002, 07:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G63, AMG GT S
The S600 is far more luxuriouse because it costs more than 60k more. When Lexus comes out with a car that costs 130k, then I'm sure it will be plenty comfy. The LS is pretty comfy though. I don't know where your getting that from.

The GS and the E look nothing a like. Again, nothing a like. See attached pic. Both are of a 98 E-430 and a 98 GS400. If the GS is a cheap knock off, then it is sad, because the GS beats the E in every single category. Speed, looks, reliability, handling, bracking power, weight, etc. I don't know where you got your thoughts from. The GS430 came out in 2001, and costs 10k less, or even less, than the E430 sport. Plus, does the E430 have NAV?

Wood in every single place? The new LS430 comes with a marble package and a wood package, but it's not everywhere. Maybe you looked at someone's GS that had an aftermarket wood kit.

Whether the commercials are phony or not, Lexus is outselling MB by a large portion. MB may be number one in luxury, even though I'm pretty the LS scored number one.
Old 08-23-2002, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G63, AMG GT S
Um, the look of the ODO on the E-class is too old and thank God they re-did it. Lexus's ODO looks really nice, sporty, and contemporary.

I would applaud MB if they copied Lexus.
Old 08-23-2002, 07:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G63, AMG GT S
Even the interior of the E-class is ugly. It is just plain too simple. The E430 is ugly inside. The GS430 is extremely nice and cozy.
Old 08-23-2002, 07:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G63, AMG GT S
Here's a pic of two real cars. The E430 sport and the GS430. I don't see how the E looks at all like the GS, or vice versa. IMO, MB is the one who should be copying Lexus.
Old 08-23-2002, 07:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G63, AMG GT S
The rear looks nothing alike either. In fact, the rear of the E-class screams 1980 something to me. It still looks like the old E s.
Old 08-23-2002, 09:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
i dont want to argue with anybody, or start a fight with anybody.....but honestly....i think lexus is a lot better than mbz. It isnt my decision to buy the e500 over the ls430. My parents grew up in india, and the one luxury car they heard was mercedes. They never even seen a pic of one untill my parents came here in 83. My dads older sis is a doctor, and bought a diesel sel or something in 76, two years after they came over here. My parents dream was to buy a mbz. Thats why they are buying one. I swear, so many dumb ppl (not reffering to anyone) say that there mbz or whatever had problems cuz it was one of those cars first in production!!!!!!!!!!!WTF IS THAT!!!!! A s500 is over 100 grand with a couple of options. The ls430 has so!!!!! much more features at 75 grand. Even if you compare a s430 to it, features wise it nowhere near!! Also, just to let you guys know....there is a company named daimlerchrysler....and they own mbz....Chrysler cars are pieces of ****. And even if toyota/lexus share a lot of parts......WTF is wrong with having a car that is trouble free.....For gods sake......what kind of bul**** is that.........My 2002 v6 camry xle is such an awesome car for 29,100!!!! I have never been in a car that is quieter than that....only the e class.....and that is the only luxury car my parents tested. The jag xj is louder!!, the s-type WOW!, that is a piece of lud ****. I would think most s-class owners are looking for luxury more that sport. The ls430 is quieter than any mbz ever made. NO s-class is quieter, or has a better ride. I hate the ppl who say i have a mbz, and it had problems because it was first in production!!!! LOLOL!!! What about lexus, ive never heard that. Even for a 12,000 dollar prius i havent heard that. And i respect the ppl who say it was a piece o ****, and mbz didnt work hard enough. I mean the e-class didnt have a lighted sign that said the cruise control was on. I hope the e500 is a great car, but lexus is the top automobile make for sure. Also, the s is over 6 inches longer than the ls430. And the ls has more room in the interior.....6 inches!, and the trunk is unbelievable....20 cubic feet!!!!! And lexus and toyota have top satisfaction....and they are better cars.....130K compared to 75K.....if my math is right the difference is 55K....thats another gs430 plus some. And even with the difference, the lex is quieter, and ride is beter, and has more features, rear entertainment. Best nav, and why do so many ppl say that the benz will beat the lex next year or whatever when they cant beat them now.....that is very funny.....A lot of mbz owners must feel sad when they back up benz for no reason....This post wasnt reffering anyone, or any car owned by a owner. I have heard countless stories of the same ppl, with the same cars.....Hope mbz gets it right with the new E
Old 08-23-2002, 09:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Another good example of mbz improving thier stuff afer lex did it a long time ago, is material....makes me laugh. A s600 costs 120 grand! And the lexus is better or as good as the s600. even if it isnt, ppl are saying the s600 does have better material..good for you......you can get a custom ls for that money that would blow the s600 off of the charts
Old 08-24-2002, 12:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by bmms8
i dont want to argue with anybody, or start a fight with anybody.....but honestly....i think lexus is a lot better than mbz. It isnt my decision to buy the e500 over the ls430. My parents grew up in india, and the one luxury car they heard was mercedes. They never even seen a pic of one untill my parents came here in 83. My dads older sis is a doctor, and bought a diesel sel or something in 76, two years after they came over here. My parents dream was to buy a mbz. Thats why they are buying one. I swear, so many dumb ppl (not reffering to anyone) say that there mbz or whatever had problems cuz it was one of those cars first in production!!!!!!!!!!!WTF IS THAT!!!!! A s500 is over 100 grand with a couple of options. The ls430 has so!!!!! much more features at 75 grand. Even if you compare a s430 to it, features wise it nowhere near!! Also, just to let you guys know....there is a company named daimlerchrysler....and they own mbz....Chrysler cars are pieces of ****. And even if toyota/lexus share a lot of parts......WTF is wrong with having a car that is trouble free.....For gods sake......what kind of bul**** is that.........My 2002 v6 camry xle is such an awesome car for 29,100!!!! I have never been in a car that is quieter than that....only the e class.....and that is the only luxury car my parents tested. The jag xj is louder!!, the s-type WOW!, that is a piece of lud ****. I would think most s-class owners are looking for luxury more that sport. The ls430 is quieter than any mbz ever made. NO s-class is quieter, or has a better ride. I hate the ppl who say i have a mbz, and it had problems because it was first in production!!!! LOLOL!!! What about lexus, ive never heard that. Even for a 12,000 dollar prius i havent heard that. And i respect the ppl who say it was a piece o ****, and mbz didnt work hard enough. I mean the e-class didnt have a lighted sign that said the cruise control was on. I hope the e500 is a great car, but lexus is the top automobile make for sure. Also, the s is over 6 inches longer than the ls430. And the ls has more room in the interior.....6 inches!, and the trunk is unbelievable....20 cubic feet!!!!! And lexus and toyota have top satisfaction....and they are better cars.....130K compared to 75K.....if my math is right the difference is 55K....thats another gs430 plus some. And even with the difference, the lex is quieter, and ride is beter, and has more features, rear entertainment. Best nav, and why do so many ppl say that the benz will beat the lex next year or whatever when they cant beat them now.....that is very funny.....A lot of mbz owners must feel sad when they back up benz for no reason....This post wasnt reffering anyone, or any car owned by a owner. I have heard countless stories of the same ppl, with the same cars.....Hope mbz gets it right with the new E

Exactly my point, your paying 60k more for a s600 from a LS430, but yet the LS has soo many features. In other words with the Lexus ur getting ur "bang for the buck"

-Musfather
Old 08-24-2002, 12:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 BMW M6, 2008 Ducati 1098, 2008 Ducati Monster S2R1000, 1971 Ducati Scrambler
Toog4me, you never compared the front's of the cars, lol .

bmms8, once you become more experienced in the automobile industry and how things work, first model year vehicles generally have a lot of problems regardless of brand. You may be sick of hearing it, but that is the truth and you need to accept that.

Have you even driven in an S-Class? From your post, it sounds to me like you have never been in one and that you are solely basing your opinions on what other people say. The S600 is not loud at all, and half the engine shuts down when you're not driving hard so most of the time when your just doing normal city driving, the car runs in six cylinders to conserve gas and it is extremely quiet. Infact, you cannot even hear the engine unless you floor it. When you are going 80 mph on a highway, you will barely hear the engine, the ride is as if you are driving on a slice a soft butter.

You're saying the trunk on the S-Class is small? Are you joking? I can fit three staff bags in there with much room to spare, and if you know anything about golf, you will know that they are enormous.

If you knew anything about the automobile industry, you would know that Chrysler is completely seperate from Mercedes-Benz and Chrysler does not influence Mercedes-Benz in any way.

I don't care if the LS has a complete suede interior, a HUD, hell, I don't care if the car could drive itself! It is a Lexus, not a Mercedes-Benz. I don't care what statistics you see on a websites. The S-Class is impressive, the LS is not. Not to mention, the S-Class looks a hell of a lot better than the LS, or even the GS for that matter.

bmms8, please goto a Mercedes-Benz dealership, and test drive an S600. When you get out of the car, you will say "Lexus who?"

We have a 2002 S600, and we have a 2003 S600 on order which will be arriving this January with the brand new DVD navigation system. The only thing in your entire post that you are right about, is the navigation system in Lexus vehicles being better, your 100% correct, I don't deny it one bit. But this year when the new vehicles roll out with the new DVD Nav, the Lexus nav will not be able to even compare.

You have OBVIOUSLY never sat inside of an S600. Full leather dashboard, beautiful wood in every place, complete suede roof. Oh, did I mention that the back seats individually recline just like the front seats?

bmms8, I have said it once, and I will say it again. You have never sat in an S600, the S600's interior is completely different from that of the S430, S500, and S55.

30, or even 40k is a good deal for a Lexus. But I don't know anyone who would spend 75k on a Lexus. I don't care what features it has, what vehicles it can beat, it is a Lexus; not a BMW or Mercedes-Benz.

I can justify spending 75k (Well 150k for that matter) on a Mercedes-Benz, and even a BMW. But I cannot justify spending 75k on a glorified Toyota.

You said your post wasnt referring to anyone or any car owned by anyone... however you directly correlated things I said to you on AIM and in my post .

Don't you just love these heated debates? I sure do .
Old 08-24-2002, 01:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
its not like that. And i never said anything about looks...the s does look better. I just went to kbb.com and compared the ls430 to the s600. Even though the s has a 6.3 inch longer wheelbase, the ls has more passenger room.. and talking about the trunk!!!!, the s600 has a 15.3 cubic feet truck. lol, the ls430 is 133% of that. It is 20.2 cubic feet! Any i dont get why just because the lexus is part of toyota..it is bad. The ls shares no parts what so ever with any toyota. Also, why is the camry the #1 selling vehicle 4 years in a row.....its because its awesome. Also, why does toyota practically outsell every other company. I am not trying to argur with you....you have a s600 waiting for you. I am just saying.....there are a lot other great companies other than mbz. Safety wise, lex is the best. Warranty wise, its the best. Reliability wise, its #1. Also, the s600 doesnt have rear heated and cooled seats. Or there own! entertainment centre. Or massaging seats in the back. I have never been in a s600, but i am just trying to say...lex/toy is a great company. Im not arguing just stating my opinon
Old 08-24-2002, 01:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
my visions tell me accord will post a message in the next 3 minz
Old 08-24-2002, 01:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
no man........lol, i am buying a e500...mbz's arent bad if that is what you are saying..,...im saying lexus isnt bad, thats all
Old 08-24-2002, 01:31 AM

its not like that. And i never said anything about looks...the s does look better. I just went to kbb.com and compared the ls430 to the s600. Even though the s has a 6.3 inch longer wheelbase, the ls has more passenger room.. and talking about the trunk!!!!, the s600 has a 15.3 cubic feet truck. lol, the ls430 is 133% of that. It is 20.2 cubic feet! Any i dont get why just because the lexus is part of toyota..it is bad. The ls shares no parts what so ever with any toyota. Also, why is the camry the #1 selling vehicle 4 years in a row.....its because its awesome. Also, why does toyota practically outsell every other company. I am not trying to argur with you....you have a s600 waiting for you. I am just saying.....there are a lot other great companies other than mbz. Safety wise, lex is the best. Warranty wise, its the best. Reliability wise, its #1. Also, the s600 doesnt have rear heated and cooled seats. Or there own! entertainment centre. Or massaging seats in the back. I have never been in a s600, but i am just trying to say...lex/toy is a great company. Im not arguing just stating my opinon

run... on... sentences............

it takes me 20 minutes to read your posts.

i agree that the LS430 is a great bang for the buck car, but it is nothing compared to the S600.
Old 08-24-2002, 01:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
thanks
Old 08-24-2002, 01:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm just going to easily break this down.

1) The trunk on the S-class is huge. I can fit three, thats right 3 staff bags in it. Now I don't know anyone who needs more space than that unless your in the mafia stuffing bodies in the trunk.

2) The back seat is huge. I have a ton of room. Even when the front seat is moved back almost the entire way, my legs still don't even come close to touching it. The reclining rear seats are simply awesome. The comfort level of them cannot even compare to that of the standard bench seats. Also, the massage feature is fantastic .

3) Lexus isn't bad because they are Toyota's. I never said they were bad.

4) The Camry is the #1 selling vehicle because of it's great warantee, reliability, and it is very economical. Although, discussing a Toyota Camry should not happen on an S-Class forum, lol. Toyota outsells many other companies because they sell cheap, economical automobiles. Pretty much anybody can afford a Toyota Camry whilst very few people can afford a Mercedes-Benz (Not including the C240 or C230k).

5) Safety wise, Lexus is not the best. Mercedes-Benz is according to the Euro NCAP and IIHS. The C-Class is the second vehicle in the history of the Euro NCAP to receive a five star rating, and we all know that the S-Class is much safer than a C-Class. The S-Class is an absolute tank.

6) Warantee wise, Lexus is not the best. Kia or one of those low end companies are that offer something like a 10 year warantee. I don't know the exact details, but I know the warantee on those are the best of any vehicle.

7) All of the seats in the S-Class are heated seats, messaging seats, and have a cooling ventilation system, which is great on a hot day.

8) As far as the entertainment center goes, you got that right. Although for a very minute price you can have tv's equipped into the rear headrests aswell as have the Comand converted to play DVD's.

9) You have never been in an S-Class, or even an S600 for that matter, so do not judge the S-Class without having any experience with it.
Old 08-24-2002, 02:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
lol, who sad i have never been in a s430, or 500. i said s600...damn man.....1 hour just for that
Old 08-24-2002, 02:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

When I was typing my post, I got an e-mail notification from another thread and clicked it, but to my surprise, it opened the thread in the same window I was typing my post in, so my entire post was erased and I had to retype the entire thing, lol.

And plus, I spent most of the time talking to you on AIM .
Old 08-24-2002, 05:04 AM

Fiscal Neo Con Express
Thumbs down

hey everyone,

now for my two cents worth.

before i purchased my s55 i looked at A8's, LS430's, BMW 7's(last years model...wouldn't be seen dead in this years!!!) and even I45's.
all of the cars are nice cars. each has above average quality and each has something unique to offer it's owner.....ie...lexus-nice interior, bmw-sporty feel, A8-aluminum unibody, and the Infiniti-gadgets.

but lets face it.....first and foremost you have to be able to look at your new car and be excited that the car you chose is your car.
i don't think the lexus would make me or most people feel excited after the purchase. it is a nice car for the money but it just doesn't have much "excitement" about it. still to this day when i walk past my s55 in the garage it gives me a great feeling inside that i own it!!!

a lot has been said about Mercedes Benz and Lexus quality. both are very good. i've had 4 Benz's and never any problems.

one last thought.......if your ever in an accident......you'll thank god above that you were in a Mercedes Benz. I'm not sure which thread it is on this board but there is a picture of an S class being t-boned in a crash test.....not by a flat object hitting it in the side but by a V shaped steel wedge. most impressive crash test photos i have ever seen.

well there are my two cents worth...by the Mercedes.
jeff
Old 08-24-2002, 05:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well said S55inPA! You basically summed up every thing I said in one word... excitement. A Lexus will not excite most people, an AMG or a V12 will excite anyone .

Here was the thread of the impressive crash test pictures: https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...threadid=14179

A Lexus LS430 would never be able to hold up as good as the S-Class did, the LS430 is like a tin can.
Old 08-24-2002, 05:19 AM

Originally posted by S55inPA
hey everyone,

now for my two cents worth.

before i purchased my s55 i looked at A8's, LS430's, BMW 7's(last years model...wouldn't be seen dead in this years!!!) and even I45's.
all of the cars are nice cars. each has above average quality and each has something unique to offer it's owner.....ie...lexus-nice interior, bmw-sporty feel, A8-aluminum unibody, and the Infiniti-gadgets.

but lets face it.....first and foremost you have to be able to look at your new car and be excited that the car you chose is your car.
i don't think the lexus would make me or most people feel excited after the purchase. it is a nice car for the money but it just doesn't have much "excitement" about it. still to this day when i walk past my s55 in the garage it gives me a great feeling inside that i own it!!!

a lot has been said about Mercedes Benz and Lexus quality. both are very good. i've had 4 Benz's and never any problems.

one last thought.......if your ever in an accident......you'll thank god above that you were in a Mercedes Benz. I'm not sure which thread it is on this board but there is a picture of an S class being t-boned in a crash test.....not by a flat object hitting it in the side but by a V shaped steel wedge. most impressive crash test photos i have ever seen.

well there are my two cents worth...by the Mercedes.
jeff
well said
Old 08-24-2002, 07:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G63, AMG GT S
Now im pissed. Go to Clublexus, and take a look at all the mature, happy people who could not be happier because they own a Lexus. Every single person in the LS and GS, and even IS and ES forums are happy. We all love our Lexus cars. Your wrong about that. Any idiot who thinks you cant be happy when buying an LS430 is ****ing wrong. No one buys a 75k car and thinks "I dont like it" or "Im not satisfied." That's just bull ****.

You couldnt justify spending 75k on a Lexus? I could not justify spending 150k on a POS S600 that breaks down, and does not even use the V12 all the time! Seriously, what a waist.
The LS has everything the S has except for the V12. The LS430 will peel away at the S430.

You really cant compare the LS to the S600, because like said, to diff. engines, diff. prices, etc.

For 150k, you can buy a used ferrari for crying out loud. Why would you buy an S600?

don't think the lexus would make me or most people feel excited after the purchase. it is a nice car for the money but it just doesn't have much "excitement" about it. still to this day when i walk past my s55 in the garage it gives me a great feeling inside that i own it!!!
Like I said, you have to be one stuck up ***** to think that a Lexus wont make you happy, only an MB will.

I don't know what else to say. Of coarse a 150k car will be better than a 75k car. The said thing is, the only thing better about the 150k car is the engine and the exterior, but only by a few. and while were on the subject, I do believe MB copied Lexus's use of electrolumnescent gauges.

BTW, have you ever driven an LS or GS430? Both cars are great and the GS430, while 1/3 the cost of your S600, will satisfy so many people just as much.

Last edited by Toog4me; 08-24-2002 at 07:08 AM.
Old 08-24-2002, 07:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G63, AMG GT S
And there is a reason why lexus is number one on reliability and service satisfaction. Mercedes is where.. yeah, at the bottom.
Old 08-24-2002, 08:07 AM

r
the ls430 received the highest rating in the IIHS crash tests in all categories, so dont give that bull that all benzes are the best thing to be in in a crash, there are cars that are just as safe, and there are cars that are safer, and in this category the ls430 holds its own against the s-class:LS 430 Crash Test Results

ill agree that an ls430 doesnt excite me as much as an s600 or s55, but thats partly due to the fact that they are so damn expensive, and therefore, very rare, especially where i live

but on the flip side of things, the ls430 is an amazing car, and i would be extremely happy to have a car like that...my dads 96 ls400 still excites me, and both he and i are proud of the fact that we own one

however, if i had to buy either an s600 or ls430, as a daily driver, i would choose the ls430...its reliability is excellent, the car wont be going into the shop every few days, u can beat the hell outta the engine, and it will still be able to run into the huge mileage numbers, its got a ton of features for the money, its got very respectable performance

i agree with toog with wat he said about the s600 being literally in a class of its own, but if the ls had an engine to compete with the s600, i believe that it would be a better car for the money

also, u cant say that an s600 has the suede headliner and all that crap which makes it a better car...its literally 2x the price of an ls430, and the ls430 has an amazing interior, even compared to the s600.

ill admit, if i had the money for an s600, and i had other cars, i would likely buy it...its an amazing car, im not debatign that, im saying that an ls430 is stiff competition, even to a car that is double its price

Last edited by fvellani; 08-24-2002 at 08:11 AM.
Old 08-24-2002, 10:50 AM

Fiscal Neo Con Express
hey guys,

ok...i never said the lexus isn't a nice car. i think the interior is very attractive. exterior...conservative leaning towards boring. lets face it ...the japanese are still playing catch up when it comes to larger car exterior styling. when people get excited about a lexus its seems to be because they purchased a nice car for a good price. that's great.......but when people get excited about a Mercedes, they are excited about the performance, appearance, technology ,and yes ....the safety of the car they purchased. not that they got the best deal in town. you want the best....guess what...you have to pay to have the best....no free lunch!! no matter how much you guys scream lexus, lexus, lexus...the current line up of cars they offer does not compare to Mercedes Benz. just a simple fact.
and guys.....lets see lexus destroy the ls430 with that wedged battering ram and see how it fares?
one last thought onsafety.....take a good look at the S class A pillar and then take a good look at the ls430's ....which car would you rather have a roll over in???or better yet ...which car would you want your wife and children in???

:o

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.33 average.

Quick Reply: S-Class vs. LS430 vs. 7 Series PLEASE READ, NEED INPUT