S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Price difference in US and Canada?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Price difference in US and Canada?

Hi there, I've been researching for a 2003-2004 S500 4matic. I live in Canada and most of the cars I saw were all from the US and I was wondering if the US prices apply to Canada or should the Canadian prices be higher like in new cars. Also, should I pay more if I buy from a Mercedes dealership and the car is "certified"? Thanks

Last edited by kevine310; 07-03-2006 at 01:05 PM.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:50 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you are asking that if you live and use the car in the USA is it worth looking to buy one in Canada bring it over the border and register and use it here?
I would not do it myself for a number of reasons:
although you may find a comparable car cheaper(and this is normally due to exchange rate fluctuations) it will always have a lower resale value in USA, typically 10 to 20% off book for a true USA car.There are a number of reasons for this: some specs on cars may be dif, although a lot of the stuff may be minor it's often enough to get USA MB dealers to not want to work on the cars.
The car will always have the large speedo ring in KMH, (although as you have the MPH on the inner ring you do not have to change it for federal regs)it is quite distracting and expensive to change out the cluster.
The car will come equipped with dif. options than on the USA cars, often with less content.
Daytime head lights will be on all the time.
Finally,a lot of people are concerned with the possiblity that the car has an iffy history, odometer roll back, accident damage ect, as many Canadian cars have been sold for US use with those problems.
I think the common sense thing to do is buy as new as you can afford,have the car independently checked by a mechanic, car fax it, check service records and get a damed good extended wtty.
Good Luck.

Last edited by justbecause; 07-03-2006 at 11:51 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-03-2006, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi there, thanks for the reply, I actually live in canada and I want to buy a car from Canada, but the MSRP of new cars differ a lot between the US and Canada.(A new S550 is $13,000 cheaper in the US) So I was wondering if that's the same with used cars as well. Since most of the cars I saw were all from the US, I simply want to know what kind of price I should be expecting in Canada. The cars I saw (2003 S500 4matic) that were from Canada are asking in the Mid 50's (US). While, in the States, they are mostly in the high 40's to low 50's. Are those reasonable prices? Thanks a lot
Old 07-03-2006, 03:04 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have no idea.
Why not look at the USA version of Ebay motors,then compare it to the Canadian one.
try cars.com for newspaper classifieds in ant area.
edmunds.com will give you a true market value for the car in any area.
Good Luck