Valve Cover Gasket

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 10:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
W220 S65 AMG
Valve Cover Gasket

I had the airbox off and I was checking out the engine, I noticed that there was a small amount of oil towards the back of the passenger side valve cover, most of it was dried up.

After I cleaned off the oil, I noticed that the rubber gasket that goes around the box ontop of the valve cover (see below, I don't know the technical name for it, but it's towards the rear of the engine on the passenger side) was peeling off... I pulled on the rubber and it just peeled away... Then I noticed that most of the gaskets on the engine were kind of bulging out the sides and any kind of touch on them would cause them to peel away... is this normal or what's going on?

The thing runs like a champ and last time it was at the shop Mercedes said that everything is running great with the engine.

Should I worry?
Attached Thumbnails Valve Cover Gasket-engine.jpg  
Old 09-02-2006, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
W220 S65 AMG
Here are some pictures... the flash makes it a little more dramatic than it really is, the engine is really not that NASTY looking... I promise.
Attached Thumbnails Valve Cover Gasket-dsc00982-medium-.jpg   Valve Cover Gasket-dsc00990-medium-.jpg   Valve Cover Gasket-dsc00983-medium-.jpg   Valve Cover Gasket-dsc00987-medium-.jpg   Valve Cover Gasket-dsc00992-medium-.jpg  

Old 09-03-2006, 12:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW E39
Some of mine rubber came out too. I really don't know, but I don't think it might be too much of a problem as there should be more rubber inside. But I don't know.

The places around my covers are oily and dirty too. There doesn't look to be any active leaks for me. In other words, the small amount of oil dried probably built up over time. Just to make sure, get a lent free cloth over the MAF and start the car for few minutes and check the engine carefully.

Say, where do you get all these diagrams?