(HELP Needed) Engine leakage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 04:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2005 S500 4matic
Exclamation (HELP Needed) Engine leakage

Hi guys,

Today I've been replacing the Air Mass Flow Meter and noticed a considerable amount of oil leakage that's been covered by dust just right on top (see photo) and beneath the engine. This you can only see when engine plastic cover with air filters is removed.

Is this something I should worry about and If yes - what parts and labor hours am I looking at? How long can I drive with this (If it's a problem). Thanks in advance.

P.S. So many disappointments with my baby these days
Old 10-15-2006, 10:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2005 S500 4matic
Exclamation

Here is a better quality picture. Advice please.

Old 10-15-2006, 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW E39
I have some oil too around the covers and manifold too, but not as much as you do. Look at the rubber seal around the valve covers (the big silver cover the coil packs sit on, you have two, one on either side of the block). Are they worn or bits of it missing?

First thing I would do is check my oil level. Make sure its fine. Second, if the rubber seals are worn, then you probably want to have them replaced. SHOULDN'T cost too much, but being that its a Mercedes, dealers are probably going to rip you off.

In general, its doesn't look to be a serious problem. Clean the all that oil off and see if it comes back in a few days of driving. Check your oil level frequently.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 CLS55 P030
you need to reseal the breather on that valve cover, remove the 2 small torx screws, the hose, and remove the breather cap, clean the sealer and install new black sealant.
Old 10-15-2006, 10:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
W220 S65 AMG
Originally Posted by 516mbtek
you need to reseal the breather on that valve cover, remove the 2 small torx screws, the hose, and remove the breather cap, clean the sealer and install new black sealant.
I have some of that on my engine aswell... Is the sealant a part purchased from an MB dealer?
Old 10-15-2006, 11:35 PM

'06 CLS55 P030
Originally Posted by Oxygen
I have some of that on my engine aswell... Is the sealant a part purchased from an MB dealer?
The sealer can be bought from MB but really any black silicone sealant will work as well.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 S65 AMG
The sealer can be bought from MB but really any black silicone sealant will work as well.
Would you say that it's safe to use engine degreaser on and around the engine in the W220? Particularly around the valve covers and the fuel injectors?

I want to clean up my engine, because it has a lot of salt deposits on it and some dirt and oil here and there.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:32 PM

'06 CLS55 P030
Would you say that it's safe to use engine degreaser on and around the engine in the W220? Particularly around the valve covers and the fuel injectors?

I want to clean up my engine, because it has a lot of salt deposits on it and some dirt and oil here and there.
I recomend that you use 3m aerosol brake cleaner or comparable and compressed air (if available). With eng. off, spray cleaner directly on soiled areas, wire harnesses, injectors, coils will wash away dirt/grease (and sometimes paint so b careful) with no problem...and it dries quickly w/little residue. I

Last edited by 516mbtek; 10-16-2006 at 10:35 PM.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 S65 AMG
I recomend that you use 3m aerosol brake cleaner or comparable and compressed air (if available). With eng. off, spray cleaner directly on soiled areas, wire harnesses, injectors, coils will wash away dirt/grease (and sometimes paint so b careful) with no problem...and it dries quickly w/little residue. I
I took out the two torx screws as directed, and the breather cover would not budge... so I took out the two big screws and it still wont budge... do I have to use a lot of force on it?

I am also doing a spark plug job at the moment, and let me tell you, it's not fun.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:49 PM

'06 CLS55 P030
Ummm yea, 2 torx screws, 2 inverted torq bolts right..yes knock it with a piece of wood a couple times, then pry it up...remember its glued to the valve cover dont be scared about breaking it, as long as no screws/bolts are holding the seal will break b4 the aluminum will
Old 10-16-2006, 10:57 PM

'06 CLS55 P030
oh yea...dont pry on the breather hose nipple :0
Old 10-16-2006, 10:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 S65 AMG
oh yea...dont pry on the breather hose nipple :0
It will be hard to contain my self... I like them nipples!
Old 10-16-2006, 11:03 PM

'06 CLS55 P030
who doesent? But they are sensitive and delecate...;b
Old 10-17-2006, 05:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW E39
I took out the two torx screws as directed, and the breather cover would not budge... so I took out the two big screws and it still wont budge... do I have to use a lot of force on it?

I am also doing a spark plug job at the moment, and let me tell you, it's not fun.
Did you go with the IK16s? Where did you get them? I'm ready to buy them, its just I cannot justify paying near $200 for a set of 16.
Old 10-18-2006, 05:30 PM

from the looks of it, it isnt a continuing leak as its covered in dust,

its probably from when someone changed the oil and whilst refiliing spilt some in the wrong place,

use some engine gunk to clean it off,

dont wash with water, there are alot of electricals in a w220 engine.

once clean give it a check te if is leaking, then take it from there, but teh fact its covered in dust, i assume no leak at present!
Old 04-06-2007, 05:58 PM

S500
Post Replacing valve cover gaskets.

Hello everybody I'm pretty new to this forum. Here is my tech questions.

Having the same situation with my engine I've ordered two of the valve cover gaskets and the original Mercedes-Benz Sealant

Since my rubber seal looks badly worn out I want to fix that asap. Say I unscrew everything, remove the valve cover itself and tear off the old rubber gasket.

Now. Do I have to replace the valve cover gaskets alone or do I still have to apply sealant on them when putting valve cover back on? If yes, then where exactly should sealant be applied?

Thanks in advance to all knowledgeble techs here.

Last edited by phobos; 04-06-2007 at 06:03 PM.
Old 04-06-2007, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 95 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
valve cover gaskets do not require sealant. Make sure you torque it correctly.
Old 04-06-2007, 06:15 PM

S500
Originally Posted by sunman
valve cover gaskets do not require sealant. Make sure you torque it correctly.
That's what is causing the leaking - valve cover gaskets. Breather cover is sitting on top of them. Or am I wrong?

Could you please be more specific about "torque it correctly". What do you mean by that?
Old 04-06-2007, 06:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W220 M113K
i think its the valve gasket, i have some in the same spot too
Old 04-06-2007, 07:50 PM

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts
2008 E63 wagon (1 of 62)
The valve cover's breather cover is leaking oil. There are alot of Mercedes that do this. Over time both sides will eventually leak. There isn't any special way of doing it, just make sure its not oily when you put it back on with the new sealant and it will work just fine for a good long while. One thing you might be careful of is to not apply too much new sealant to the breather cover when you put it back on. Just a small bead of it all the way around the cover and the bolt holes will do just fine. I prefer to take the valve covers off first though so that I can thoroughly clean off the valve covers and especially in the breather area, plus it doesn't hurt to have a new valve cover gasket on there. Finally, you might stick a small drill bit or something into the breather hole to expand it just a tad. Over time those holes will close up due to the residue being sucked through the valve covers.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:17 AM

S500
Post Really appreciate your repsonse

Originally Posted by Racin_fool
The valve cover's breather cover is leaking oil. There are alot of Mercedes that do this. Over time both sides will eventually leak. There isn't any special way of doing it, just make sure its not oily when you put it back on with the new sealant and it will work just fine for a good long while. One thing you might be careful of is to not apply too much new sealant to the breather cover when you put it back on. Just a small bead of it all the way around the cover and the bolt holes will do just fine. I prefer to take the valve covers off first though so that I can thoroughly clean off the valve covers and especially in the breather area, plus it doesn't hurt to have a new valve cover gasket on there. Finally, you might stick a small drill bit or something into the breather hole to expand it just a tad. Over time those holes will close up due to the residue being sucked through the valve covers.
Thanks a lot for your detailed explaination. May earthly blessings be with you

One more questions though. I do have new rubber valve cover gaskets for each side. Can I just insert the new gaskets and apply sealant on top of it and then put breather cover? Or should I apply sealant onto breather itself? What's the best way? Thanks again.
Old 04-07-2007, 12:31 PM

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts
2008 E63 wagon (1 of 62)
Originally Posted by phobos
Thanks a lot for your detailed explaination. May earthly blessings be with you

One more questions though. I do have new rubber valve cover gaskets for each side. Can I just insert the new gaskets and apply sealant on top of it and then put breather cover? Or should I apply sealant onto breather itself? What's the best way? Thanks again.
The best way to do it in my opinion is to take the valve cover off and then remove the breather cover section. Clean everything thoroughly and then apply new sealant to the breather cover and then reattach it to the valve cover. Next put new valve cover gasket on and clean the mating area on the cylinder head where the valve cover mounts to ensure a good seal.

Just fyi guys, there is no actual gasket between the valve cover and the breather cover, just a small layer of sealant.