S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Strut Arm Emergency

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 S430
Strut Arm Emergency

Emergency!!! Techs say my strut arms are the cause of my vibration on 2000 S430. $1700 for tires/alignment and replacement. Sound legit? Should I just replace tires and do alignment? Thanks.
Old 11-21-2006, 02:23 PM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
07 GL450, 91 NSX, 12 Prius
describe the vibration?
Is it at a certain speed? is it constant? how old is your tires and wheels?
Old 11-22-2006, 09:29 AM

2000 S430
Originally Posted by fkong777
describe the vibration?
Is it at a certain speed? is it constant? how old is your tires and wheels?
The vibration is constant but seems isolated to the front driver side. I know I need new tires so I know that is part of the problem. I am going to go with the 18" staggered. Will that have any affect on the life of the tire or the ride?
Old 11-22-2006, 01:04 PM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
07 GL450, 91 NSX, 12 Prius
It can be a bad tire. perhaps there is bubble forming at the tire. Change tire first.

It can be a bent wheel but OEM 16" and 17" wheel hardly bent because oem tires sidewall is pretty tall. It would protect the wheel on most impact. If you damaged a 16" & 17" Oem wheel at impact, it would be a pretty major impact that you will definitely worry if your car is damaged.

check the suspension arm. If it is obvious, the suspension arm may have worn out bushings. check the bushings for cracks and deteriorated rubber than can cause lateral movements. but sometimes bushing failure may not be visible until the arm is removed.

Ball joint on the suspension arm is pretty hard to check. This will be your last resort if vibration couldnt be eliminated.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:31 PM
Almost a Member!

Had that issue..

I had the same vibration, isolated to the front driver side. It was the tires, the right rear tire was visibly worst.

Change tires first.

Regards,
esprit

Originally Posted by jmiaebrown
The vibration is constant but seems isolated to the front driver side. I know I need new tires so I know that is part of the problem. I am going to go with the 18" staggered. Will that have any affect on the life of the tire or the ride?
Old 11-27-2006, 03:14 PM

2000 S430
Thanks all. I paid 144.00 to the dealer to be lied to. I took it to a great Mercedes independent shop in High Point NC and he told me the strut arms were ok. Just needed some new tires. Went with a set of Yokohamas. Rides perfectly. I won't take my car to the dealer anymore. I said that before but now... definitely won't take it there anymore. When they changed to tires they saw where the wheel has a bad dent. I have 16s. I am searching ebay now for a used one.

Last edited by jmiaebrown; 11-27-2006 at 03:16 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:26 PM

2001 S430
Ok Guys! I'm back again, Got 2001 S430. Have been having some issues with vibration, it feels like suspension is dampering the bumps. I took it to MB workshop not the stealership guys. I have my both uppper control and lower control arm changed, after changing that I was told that I need to change both my "Lower Ball Joint" and both "Thrust Arms", let me say this, I often buy my parts and take it to the workshop. I was looking on to buy thrust arm and found different pictures shown as Arms. Went to the stealership site to check the real picture for Thrust Arm but I couldn't find anything listed as Thrust Arm, what I found was Lateral Arm. Could Thrust Arm and Lateral be the same thing? Does thrust arm is part of the front suspension of rear suspension? The same picture I found online on partgeeks as Thrust Arm was listed on Stealership site as "Track Bar"/Ft Lateral Arm. Pls need your help on this ones fellows and all the good techs out there in the forum......Thank you all for your time.
Old 02-18-2017, 03:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 S430
non-ABC part numbers for "Thrust Arms"

Originally Posted by MBS430GOLD
Ok Guys! I'm back again, Got 2001 S430. Have been having some issues with vibration, it feels like suspension is dampering the bumps. I took it to MB workshop not the stealership guys. I have my both uppper control and lower control arm changed, after changing that I was told that I need to change both my "Lower Ball Joint" and both "Thrust Arms", let me say this, I often buy my parts and take it to the workshop. I was looking on to buy thrust arm and found different pictures shown as Arms. Went to the stealership site to check the real picture for Thrust Arm but I couldn't find anything listed as Thrust Arm, what I found was Lateral Arm. Could Thrust Arm and Lateral be the same thing? Does thrust arm is part of the front suspension of rear suspension? The same picture I found online on partgeeks as Thrust Arm was listed on Stealership site as "Track Bar"/Ft Lateral Arm. Pls need your help on this ones fellows and all the good techs out there in the forum......Thank you all for your time.
I know this is very old but, in case somebody else comes upon this issue, I've also seen the Front, Lower, Rearward Arms referred to as "Strut Control Arm".
The MB part numbers for the non-ABC arms are 2203308907 (left) and 2203309007 (right).