S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

please help with my 2001 s430..problem when driving

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2006 | 01:41 PM

07 GL450, 91 NSX, 12 Prius
Originally Posted by whoover
That leak is a well-known problem that involved a recall.

http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Mercedes-...8C/200081.html
So is this a TSB or Recall? Recall is done Free of charge regardless the car is still under warranty or not.
Old 12-05-2006 | 02:46 PM
Almost a Member!

is that free of charge with my 2001 s430?oh my god.. my mechanic chrage me $250 to change the o ring for that plug thing...he told me is leaking from the inside..he need to take everything apart to get that done..
Old 12-05-2006 | 08:09 PM
Almost a Member!

hello everyone, i just got it fix which the part itself cost only $8 at the dealer and i got ripped of by my mechanic that $250 plus the new 5 qt. transmisson fluid, please don't make the same mistake as me..it's very easy to do it yourself..i think this is a very common problem cause i went to the mercedes part department i show them what i need and i took it out right away and told me they have alot of this seal ...i'll see if it leaks again but i won't know until the car sit over night..

Last edited by mycbr1000rr; 12-06-2006 at 10:22 AM.
Old 12-07-2006 | 10:35 PM
Almost a Member!

omg still leaking, i think i better bring it back to mercedes ..i also change the ball joint today but still making strange sound , they put greeze on all the bushing but sounds worest...oh my god...what should i do?
Old 12-08-2006 | 05:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 E55
Originally Posted by mycbr1000rr
omg still leaking, i think i better bring it back to mercedes ..i also change the ball joint today but still making strange sound , they put greeze on all the bushing but sounds worest...oh my god...what should i do?
sell the damned car

also use some spell checker.
Old 12-08-2006 | 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by mycbr1000rr
Yes, if you have replaced the ball joint, and it still sounds horrible, go for the control arm bushing. If you want, you could go for whole control arm assembly replacement.

If the noise persists, then the last culprit would be.. the thrust arm bushing.

If not... Other two ball joints that joins the steering knuckle, could be problem. (there are total of three ball joints on each side of the front axle.)
There has been a Mercedes Star TSB about this suspension noise.

I remember TSB saying that whole sub frame needs to be replaced if the point where control arm hooks up is worn, caused by the worn out control arm bushing.

I will post it here if I could find it later.

What's up with the transmission? did you replace the O-ring for the transmission electrical connector?? what's happening to it?

It sounds like you pulled out the electrical plug, and did the O-ring change.
Make sure that you plugged in the connector right, otherwise it could leak very easily.

Running on low transmission fluid could be very, very bad for the tranny.

anyways,

*sigh*

good luck with your car..

( at the same time, I am also starting to get worried about my car because I have similar symptoms )
Old 12-09-2006 | 12:43 AM
Almost a Member!

Hi,

thanks for careing, the tranny plug seal finally fix by mercedes and it's only cost me $145 with tax...i learn my lesson don't ever bring the car to any shop but only mercedes dealer, now the only problem the boders me is the noise, i'll try to get it done but the upper and lower control arm are so expensive...does mercedes only sell the bushing or i have to get the whole thing?
Old 12-09-2006 | 09:16 PM

There is bushing available for the control arm, but I think it could be real hard to remove & mount the bushings on it.

I would first try the ball joints before the control arms. At 50k + miles, the ball joints are the most vulnerable parts on our cars' chassis.

:-)

BTW, did the transmission leak get sorted out just by replacing the seal?

What does it say on the billing statement? Does it say "electrical Pilot bushing"?

Please let me know :-)
Old 12-09-2006 | 11:11 PM
Almost a Member!

The Leak Has Been Totally Fix, It Shows "Trans Bushing Seal WHICH COST $6.50 "On The Reciept..ACUTALLY I CALL MERCEDES PARTS DEPT. AND ASK FOR (electrical Pilot bushing) THEY TOLD ME THEY NEVER HEARD OF THAT PART..

It.cost Me $145 At The Dealer PART AND LABOR TO GET IT FIX ...if You Have The Same Problem, Get It Done Asap...takes Them An Hour Job...

Also Where Can I Find Those Bushing?mercedes Part Dept. Told Me I Have To Get The Whole Assambly...upper$290 Lower $295..

I Went To A Shop Today He Took All The Bushing Out And Oil Them..it's Not Making No Kind Of Noise Anymore ..but I'm Still Worry That Sooner Or Later It Will Be Back...i Had Already Change The Ball Joint Last Week...

FOR NOW, ALL MY PROBLEM HAS BEEN FIX..GOOD LUCK TO YOU ON YOURS..IF YOU NEED ANY HELP, JUST LET ME KNOW

Last edited by mycbr1000rr; 12-09-2006 at 11:18 PM.
Old 12-09-2006 | 11:55 PM

Thank you so much for your reply!

Congrats on fixing all your problems! hope you'll never have another one !!

:-);-)

Just a question - did replacing your ball joints change driving feel at all( less steering play.. ETC... - I have some steering play problems.) or eliminate any noise?..

I guess I will try lubricating each suspension components one by one and figure out what's wrong with my car :-)

Thank you - for caring me, thank you for your replies.

Hope I could help you further with suspension noise, to eliminate the "Real" cause !
Old 12-10-2006 | 12:04 AM
Almost a Member!

acutally i feel like there's alittle more steering play then before.but the steering wheel feel lighter and no more GIGI sound otherwise no much difference... .the shop told me that's normal and it's the best they can do to adjust it( it was pretty bad before they adjust the steering pay)...but now i can only feel very little when the car is not moving and trun very fast ..just want to let you know that mercedes dealer ball joint price are $65 each but i know you can get both for $45 on ebay with free shipping if you ever need them(i hope not)

Also the shop told me the noise is from stablizer bushing...maybe you can try to lubecate it yourself and save some $$..i know how you feel..

can you please tell me where i can get just the bushing for the arms?

Last edited by mycbr1000rr; 12-10-2006 at 12:15 AM.
Old 12-10-2006 | 01:25 AM

The bushing is available on many on-line parts website.
Many people prefer to use Mercedesshop.com’s parts shop, but its system is down right now.

So, I searched some on "Partstrain" and...
Here's the bushing:

http://www.partstrain.com/products/E...S-500-005.html

Control Arm Bushing Kit $50.05

Vehicle:
2002 Mercedes Benz S 500

Fit Engine

Description:
Front: Lower

Year 00-06

Suspension page:
http://www.partstrain.com/products/E...S-500-005.html

And letting you know- the E-bay parts sold off from "Deutsch parts USA" are made by Hamburg- Tecnic. I actually ordered suspension parts from them, and but did not see much difference from the OEM. Although it looked okay, I figured out that these weren’t the OEM parts like what I have desired. After some research on the net, there were many comments about Hamburg-Tecnic that it looks okay – but that its questionable longitivity. There was a web page for introduction of Hamburg-tecnic saying that it's based in India, for remanufacturing & re-stamping of the good that have failed quality controls of various OEM makers. The webpage disappeared, and it’s not on the web anymore. To make things more doubtful, there were some people who praised on the Hamburg- Tecnic products like as if he was the company’s P.R. personnel on many suspension – related thread on a Bmw forum. I am kind of hesitant on having these parts installed, as I do not want to double the cost later.

AAH- things are complicated.

Last edited by Darknessph; 12-11-2006 at 12:44 AM.
Old 12-11-2006 | 10:49 PM
Almost a Member!

how can the steering play be fix? what do i need to change?
Old 12-12-2006 | 01:42 AM

Does your steering wheel have play, and have an unstable "bump steering" in the high speed? Do you have to fight the steering wheel more than other cars especially on the road that is slanted sideways?

To my knowledge, it is a mandatory to do a wheel alignment after ball joint replacement. If you did not do the wheel alignment, please do so.

If alignment does not solve the problem (I'd say 50% chance that wheel alignment as it does not cause much steering play /wander), your choice would be tightening up the steering gearbox(no parts required :-)!!) ,which could done by mechanic.

I am not too sure about where the volt is located. This volt brings the gears in the steering box closer, hence reducing slack coming from gears sitting far.

Also do not forget about the control arm bushing replacement that I said above, if it has not been done on the car. Worn-out control arm bushing is known to cause squeaks and thumping sounds.

On some cars, this could be caused by the front thruster arm too, which is silver in color if you look inside the wheel house.

Our cars' got just too many suspension components.

Although I am not too sure on what I have problems with for my car, I will try replacing ball joints & control arms at once, then tightening the steering gear. Otherwise, I wonder what could solve the problem. It's just.... really frustrating

I will post the results ASAP when I get the job done on my car.

Thanks!

:-)

Last edited by Darknessph; 12-12-2006 at 09:38 AM. Reason: added more content
Old 03-25-2011 | 02:19 PM

2001 S430
what would cause the steering wheel to tighten up while driving, i checked the belt while in idle and everything seems to be alright, but when you drive the car it seems like the wheel tightens up a bit. checked all the fluids, the check engine light came and then reset its self. I just changed the cats to after market ones.