W220 S500 battery dead again...!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 05:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S500
W220 S500 battery dead again...!

Hi all

My W220 S500 '00 didn't start again at the weekend. Last time this happened, I payed for Mercedes Assist to come out at a cost of £180+ due to the car being out of warranty.

I now have AA recovery cover and they sorted this time.

I know from reading through the posts on here that these cars do not like being left for too long without being used. On both occassions, the car was left for 2 weeks in my garage and when I get in and start it, it merely makes a clicking sound but the engine does not turn over. Infact the electronics all work, but the dash board etc flashes and makes the reset sounds (buzzing).

The first occassion, Mercedes Assist said my battery is fine as is my alternator, they simply said these cars need more use?? A bit embarrassing I think...

The second time at the weekend, the AA said my battery is still fine and the alternator was perfect. He connected various devices to my car, firstly a portable battery to give my car life and then some measuring instruments.

He said the battery had 9 volts before doing anything, and then told me that the alternator was pumping in 40/50+ amps, which is good?

Then we switched everything off and he measured what was being drained from the battery when the car is locked up, he expected 0.2 amps, but after several minutes waiting for the cars electonics to shut down, the car was still drawing 1.6 - 2.0+ amps.

Calculating the battery size etc of 900 amps, he said he would expect this to happen every 4-5 days.

My problem is now, I have a drain on my battery and I have no idea where to begin, does anybody have any ideas what to check out?

Thanks in advance
Old 12-18-2006, 09:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 315 Likes on 232 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
It could be a bad power seat switch module or a SAM. You need some sophisticated equipment to properly diagnose these battery drains. See this thread, and especially the article I linked.

https://mbworld.org/forums/mercedes-tech-talk/173722-w203-battery-dead.html

The dealer is the best bet.