Troll alert...
Not sure I see one.... Whyso?
Old 12-22-2006, 06:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW FTW
Originally Posted by carsinamerica
Not sure I see one.... Whyso?
Sounds a lot like the last kid who wanted to buy an S class and he was young... Yadda yadda story seems similar with a few details changed.
Old 12-23-2006, 02:33 PM

It is very rare for me to respond to unfounded accusations, but for the sake of protecting the reputation of the other user who might have asked a similar question, I will just say that I am not him/her and leave it at that.
Old 12-23-2006, 07:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW FTW
Originally Posted by thisistheone
It is very rare for me to respond to unfounded accusations, but for the sake of protecting the reputation of the other user who might have asked a similar question, I will just say that I am not him/her and leave it at that.
Old 12-24-2006, 03:19 AM

E55, S550 Sport, 996blk sometime silver, LS430
buying a used s500 could be a bad choice if you don't have a lot of time and $$$ to keep up with the maintenance. I had w220 s500 with tons of problems i end up dump that car for next to nothing. I would suggest you look for a E class that have warrenty or even save up for w221 s550. Once i drove the S550 I never look back. The w220 s500 is probably most unreliable MB I ever had
Old 12-24-2006, 01:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
W220 S65 AMG
Originally Posted by 996GTR
buying a used s500 could be a bad choice if you don't have a lot of time and $$$ to keep up with the maintenance. I had w220 s500 with tons of problems i end up dump that car for next to nothing. I would suggest you look for a E class that have warrenty or even save up for w221 s550. Once i drove the S550 I never look back. The w220 s500 is probably most unreliable MB I ever had
Take it easy with the W220 bashing... just don't buy a piece of **** S-Class, buy one from a dealer.
Old 12-24-2006, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Oxygen
Take it easy with the W220 bashing... just don't buy a piece of **** S-Class, buy one from a dealer.
I know, poor W220 is always getting bashed by people and the automotive press. I love that car. Oxygen, what color is yours? It looks Black Opal in the picture.
Old 12-24-2006, 03:23 PM

'03 S600
Empirical evidence, gotta love it. My car has been a blessing so far, but it's no Lexus in terms of reliability. Longetivity? My bet is that it'll trounce a Lexus.

If I was a miser, worried about maintenance costs etc, an S class would not have been my top choice. No enthusiast's car that cost upwards of $100k+ new is cheap to own.
Old 12-24-2006, 04:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
07 E63 06 CLK55 Cab 03 P-car C4S
what car to drive

I find it fascinating that I continue to be impressed by the comments every time I log-in. There has been great insight in this thread and I appreciate every participant's perspectives.

There are many senior brokers who make seven-figure salaries, yet choose to drive an older ('01-'03) BMW 325, C240, and older Lexus cars to work. I know for a fact that at least a few own very expensive cars, but most do not choose to drive them to work at all. Granted that I have never been to a client meeting with a broker other than my partner, I have a feeling that they do not go back home to pick up their other more expensive cars when going to meet a client. This is definitely an area that I have overlooked and that I should give some consideration.

I feel comfortable with purchasing a car up to thirty-five thousand. I can be somewhat malleable, but I would like to keep it in this range, as I am saving up for a house. As such, the new E350 and E550 is out of my price range. However, I am looking much more closely at slightly older E350s since reading your responses. Although I am not the biggest fan of Jaguars, I am starting to take a closer look at a Lexus as a result of some of the suggestions, though I have to say that I currently would prefer a Mercedes.

As a side note, commercial brokerage, at least in the area that I work (Northern California), is much different than residential. The latter is almost the opposite of commercial brokerage in terms of its flexibility on formality, dress code, and overall behavior. One aspect that is somewhat relevant to the discussion is the fact that a great relationship with only a few developers/investors is all that it really takes for one's career to take off in this business. I hope that I will be able to establish myself and foster such relationships in the near future, so I will not have to worry about creating a negative impression while driving a high-end vehicle to a meeting with investors who know my work.
you seem like a smart guy and very aware of your surroundings. i grew up in LA where it was common for someone to lease a porsche, wear armani suits and impress people outside - even if the person had no money and lived with his parents.

when i got out of b-school, i learned a very different culture in 1992 when i was working at a top investment bank(NY and SF). there were only 153 partners out of 6,000 employes and they were all were very rich. so what kind of watch did they wear? many of them wore $30 timex ironman watches. what kind of cars did they drive? the VPs who made $500k-$1M+(back in 1992) drove $30k acura legends. your observations reminded me of those two examples. since then, even though there's nothing wrong with spending lots of money for a car, i've tried to keep my car purchases at $25k max(though i've not always been successful in doing that).

from what you've shared, i think spending $25k for a 2003 E500 would be a smart move and could accomplish all of your goals. it's classy, fast, fairly reliable, and not too flashy. take the extra $10k that you'd spend and co-invest w/ your smart investors. it'll help you get closer to your clients and you'll learn how they got wealthy. lastly, you won't miss the $10k and it'll likely appreciate over the next 10 yrs. indeed, it'll certainly be worth more than if you put the extra $10k in to the car.

happy holidays everyone
Old 12-24-2006, 11:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
W220 S65 AMG
Originally Posted by pmb600
Oxygen, what color is yours? It looks Black Opal in the picture.
No idea what the technical term is... I just call it "black".

I have lots of pictures here... https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w220/175034-zaino-my-best-friend.html
Old 12-25-2006, 02:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Oxygen
No idea what the technical term is... I just call it "black".

I have lots of pictures here... https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=175034
Oh ok, cool. Nice pics! In those pics it definately looks black, in your signature pic it looked like it could have been black opal, which is this cool dark blueish color that looks different in different lighting conditions.
Old 12-25-2006, 11:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 S430
Originally Posted by bzliteyear
you seem like a smart guy and very aware of your surroundings. i grew up in LA where it was common for someone to lease a porsche, wear armani suits and impress people outside - even if the person had no money and lived with his parents.

when i got out of b-school, i learned a very different culture in 1992 when i was working at a top investment bank(NY and SF). there were only 153 partners out of 6,000 employes and they were all were very rich. so what kind of watch did they wear? many of them wore $30 timex ironman watches. what kind of cars did they drive? the VPs who made $500k-$1M+(back in 1992) drove $30k acura legends. your observations reminded me of those two examples. since then, even though there's nothing wrong with spending lots of money for a car, i've tried to keep my car purchases at $25k max(though i've not always been successful in doing that).

from what you've shared, i think spending $25k for a 2003 E500 would be a smart move and could accomplish all of your goals. it's classy, fast, fairly reliable, and not too flashy. take the extra $10k that you'd spend and co-invest w/ your smart investors. it'll help you get closer to your clients and you'll learn how they got wealthy. lastly, you won't miss the $10k and it'll likely appreciate over the next 10 yrs. indeed, it'll certainly be worth more than if you put the extra $10k in to the car.

happy holidays everyone
The only problem is that he may be taking a loan out for the whole 37 grand.
You are assuming he has the cash laying around.
Old 12-26-2006, 12:09 AM

Thank you for sharing bzliteyear. I was starting to think that what I had observed was uncommon and only limited to the firm I work for. I also appreciate your suggestion of coinvesting the 10,000 I would have left over with my client. I have now grown to really like the E500 and the prospect of using the remainder cash I would have put into a newer car to strengthen a relationship with a client definitely adds to the motivation for settling on the E500. I have not thought of it in terms of lost opportunity cost before. Thank you for the idea!

As mentioned, I have the money to buy the car, but I will be loaning half to help establish a better credit history.

Thanks everyone for responding. You guys have helped me much more than I had originally anticipated and I highly appreciate it! I will be sure to post an update on my new E500 as soon as I get it

Last edited by thisistheone; 12-26-2006 at 12:12 AM.
Old 12-26-2006, 12:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW E39
[flame suit on]

I don't bash these cars for no reason.

Plain and simple, they are pieces of crap. I have had a millions things go wrong and still have half a million issues unfixed because I am out of money and I really don't care. I am aware the 03+ cars are nice, but simply put, avoid the early 220s.

I hate this car, I wish I drove a BMW or something
Old 12-26-2006, 10:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
07 E63 06 CLK55 Cab 03 P-car C4S
Thanks everyone for responding. You guys have helped me much more than I had originally anticipated and I highly appreciate it! I will be sure to post an update on my new E500 as soon as I get it
yes, deferred gratification can be a good thing...and it's not like you'd be suffering w/ an E500, LOL. also, ck out www.gkautos.com in oakland...i've bot 3 cars from them. they buy good cars and have a decent inventory.
Old 12-26-2006, 11:33 AM
CY
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL/M6
The S500 is great and everything, but the E500 sounds like a perfect match for what you are looking for. The E500 is also a great choice since the body style hasn't changed yet and because it came out 3 years after the W220. Also, I have chrome rims on my SL, I almost wish I had gone with silver with a chrome lip since I dont want to look like Im trying too hard to show off etc. At 26 the SL itself is overkill but I always just say that I got a deal they wouldn't believe, etc.
Old 12-26-2006, 01:32 PM

Bentley Cont GT, Aston Martin V8 Vantage, Mercedes-Benz CLS63 AMG, S63,Ferrari 599, Ferrari 458
I started a thread the other day on a very similiar issue I am facing. I've always been a Mercedes fan, and don't even want to look at a Lexus (never liked them..). I've been debating either a 2001 S500 or a 2003 E500. Which do you guys find to be more reliable? Also, I'd get an extended warranty, wouldn't most issues (airmatic..) be covered under that?

Best,

Walter

PS..don't mean to hi-jack the thread, sorry! But it's relevant IMHO.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:24 AM

S430
Originally Posted by Townshend
I started a thread the other day on a very similiar issue I am facing. I've always been a Mercedes fan, and don't even want to look at a Lexus (never liked them..). I've been debating either a 2001 S500 or a 2003 E500. Which do you guys find to be more reliable? Also, I'd get an extended warranty, wouldn't most issues (airmatic..) be covered under that?

Best,

Walter

PS..don't mean to hi-jack the thread, sorry! But it's relevant IMHO.
Depends, a W220 has Navigation and comes pretty well equipped as a standard. A 2003 E500 could or could not have navigation, and usually does not have what comes standard in a W220. Yes, 100k warranty is key.

I still have the CL, but I have to drive out to Phoenix/Scottsdale (5 hours each way) so much for business now that I purchased an 02 S430 with 100k warranty. Before tint and rims, it was the most elderly looking car. I actually bought my rims from a member here on MBworld, very very smooth transaction. I vouch for the S-class being one of the best long-distance cars..

Last edited by tgood; 01-06-2007 at 12:29 AM.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:08 AM
Almost a Member!

2006 S500, 2005 Honda Accord Hybrid, 2004 Chevy Suburbin, 1986 Toyota pickup, 1984 Toyota Supra
I've got a 2006 s500. It's the best, especialy with space. The E is a little more sluggish.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by tgood
Depends, a W220 has Navigation and comes pretty well equipped as a standard. A 2003 E500 could or could not have navigation, and usually does not have what comes standard in a W220. Yes, 100k warranty is key.

I still have the CL, but I have to drive out to Phoenix/Scottsdale (5 hours each way) so much for business now that I purchased an 02 S430 with 100k warranty. Before tint and rims, it was the most elderly looking car. I actually bought my rims from a member here on MBworld, very very smooth transaction. I vouch for the S-class being one of the best long-distance cars..
Nav can be added very easily at the dealer or from other sources on the E-Class. 2003 models didn't have the COMAND screen from the factory 2004+ had the screen, but Nav was optional. That is even easier to upgrade.
Old 01-07-2007, 05:48 PM
Almost a Member!

Or be like this person(KenStdios): ref 1)

Originally Posted by kenstudios
Ask yourself this question. If one of your wealthy clients decides to ride with you to an open house, would you rather drive him fast on a chevy or smooth in the S500? or even so a prelide? Go with the benz. It been said, your credibility will not be judged by what you drive but heck, show up in a clean S500 and you earn a sense of respect not found on a chevy. Also get something newer than 02. Just my thought.
ref 1).And just lie about what you own, how is the Infiniti running Ken>?

Or buy a Prius with a bike rack and just pretend you care.

Or just be your own man and not care about "car" impressions; buy what you like and not to impress,as you get older you may see that many ppl are not really impressed by what you drive but more for what you are.In fact many ppl get intimidated by big *** in your face cars.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:40 PM
Almost a Member!

2006 S500, 2005 Honda Accord Hybrid, 2004 Chevy Suburbin, 1986 Toyota pickup, 1984 Toyota Supra
Originally Posted by Baked Benz
ref 1).And just lie about what you own, how is the Infiniti running Ken>?

Or buy a Prius with a bike rack and just pretend you care.

Or just be your own man and not care about "car" impressions; buy what you like and not to impress,as you get older you may see that many ppl are not really impressed by what you drive but more for what you are.In fact many ppl get intimidated by big *** in your face cars.
Well if you have a good personality it helps you out when you talk to people, but if you are, lets say buying a house which agent would you choose. one with the s500 or the one with the beat down chevy?
Old 01-08-2007, 09:08 PM

'03 S600
Originally Posted by SLR N8
Well if you have a good personality it helps you out when you talk to people, but if you are, lets say buying a house which agent would you choose. one with the s500 or the one with the beat down chevy?
Beat down Chevy. He's hungry and willing to bust his *** to make the deal work.

A salesman should never look too well off.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:44 PM

Bentley Cont GT, Aston Martin V8 Vantage, Mercedes-Benz CLS63 AMG, S63,Ferrari 599, Ferrari 458
People will think I'm either a pompus ***** or a spoiled a**hole in an S-class. I could care less. I just love the Mercedes brand and the history behind it. Second only to Ferrari. To me, there is a certain allure the S-class has that other cars simply do not (Audi, BMW, Honda, Infinitis..etc..)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: S500 for a young adult?