S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Thinking about buying an S Class.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 311 Likes on 229 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
The dealer can add Sirius, but it's not cheap. I'm not happy with the reception in my wife's C, so I skipped it in my S (too many dropouts and too much distortion for classical music).

When you say "prewired for the phone," how much of the system is installed? Do you have the voice-control system? (There will be a stalk on the right side of the steering column.) Do you have the phone cradle? These would indicate the previous owner already paid for the system and just kept his phone. If so, you would only need to get the Bluetooth puck to use a Razr. (Make sure you visit the aws site to understand limitations on certain versions.)

If you don't have VCS and cradle, it's about a $1,500 job to get you to that point. The dealer installs the VCS and PSE units along with an antenna switch and a antenna amplifier. The amplifier is not used with Bluetooth, but would enable you to use a third-party hybrid cradle like Skylaw recommends.

Another possiblility is that if you need the PSE/VCS install, the dealer can install the late-model MHI cradle that will enable you to use the hybrid cradle from aws. (Hybrid cradle is the term for the setup that uses Bluetooth connectivity if you want, or the car's antenna and charger if you dock.) This would be the most expensive but best solution. The hybrid razr cradle has gotten good reviews from its early users, and is supported by the official MB business partner.

By the way, I highly recommend the VCS unit. The recent ones work very well.

Last edited by whoover; 02-20-2007 at 12:13 PM.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lamborghini Countach, BMW M3, ML 500 x2, S500 Lorinser
Originally Posted by whoover
The dealer can add Sirius, but it's not cheap. I'm not happy with the reception in my wife's C, so I skipped it in my S (too many dropouts and too much distortion for classical music).

When you say "prewired for the phone," how much of the system is installed? Do you have the voice-control system? (There will be a stalk on the right side of the steering column.) Do you have the phone cradle? These would indicate the previous owner already paid for the system and just kept his phone. If so, you would only need to get the Bluetooth puck to use a Razr. (Make sure you visit the aws site to understand limitations on certain versions.)

If you don't have VCS and cradle, it's about a $1,500 job to get you to that point. The dealer installs the VCS and PSE units along with an antenna switch and a antenna amplifier. The amplifier is not used with Bluetooth, but would enable you to use a third-party hybrid cradle like Skylaw recommends.

Another possiblility is that if you need the PSE/VCS install, the dealer can install the late-model MHI cradle that will enable you to use the hybrid cradle from aws. (Hybrid cradle is the term for the setup that uses Bluetooth connectivity if you want, or the car's antenna and charger if you dock.) This would be the most expensive but best solution. The hybrid razr cradle has gotten good reviews from its early users, and is supported by the official MB business partner.

By the way, I highly recommend the VCS unit. The recent ones work very well.

I have voice control (very cool!). And the previous owner had the phone installed but it was removed.... Not sure what you mean by a "craddle". The arm rest has a special "area" for a phone, but there is nothing in it...
Old 02-20-2007, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Skylaw
One problem with Bluetooth in the Benz is that the car uses metallic tint in its window glass for infrared protection.
I am thinking about getting the windows tinted a little darker, is there anything I need to know about re: the above before I do it?
Old 02-20-2007, 01:02 PM

'03 S600
Welcome to the W220 realm!

What Skylaw said:

Look at http://www.wireless4mb.com/

I wans't aware of the reception issues, but this seems to be the quickest and cheapest route. Perhaps a better Motorola phone would solve some of the reception issues.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by RomansDad
I have voice control (very cool!). And the previous owner had the phone installed but it was removed.... Not sure what you mean by a "craddle". The arm rest has a special "area" for a phone, but there is nothing in it...
If the special area has a socket with electrical pins at its base, it's the V60s cradle. In 2004, the only phone that could dock was the Motorol V60s. In 2005 they went to the MHI (Multo-handset interface) that would accept cradles for different phones, but you don't have that. For you, they have the "Bluetooth puck," which is a Bluetooth interface with the same size, shape and connector as the old V60s. If you get one of those you can use a Razr (but you might need to upgrade its software or even replace it, as discussed by Skylaw). Just use the link and start by clicking 2004 S class to see the Bluetooth puck and discussion of the restrictions.

Be warned though, that without the ability to dock and use the antenna, you might find reception and call quality unsatisfactory. The only ways around that are to either replace the cradle and PSE with the later MHI version (probably about $2,000 with the hybrid razr cradle) or pick up an old V60s on eBay and use it as a fixed carphone. That would be the cheapest route. With a bit of help from your cell carrier, you could switch the razr's number to the V60s and configure it to forward calls to the new number you got for your razr when the V60s is off. That way you'd have voice quality for $10/month (what my cell provider charges to add a phone to my plan). The hardware cost (V60s) would be minimal if you went the eBay route.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by whoover
If the special area has a socket with electrical pins at its base, it's the V60s cradle. In 2004, the only phone that could dock was the Motorol V60s. In 2005 they went to the MHI (Multo-handset interface) that would accept cradles for different phones, but you don't have that. For you, they have the "Bluetooth puck," which is a Bluetooth interface with the same size, shape and connector as the old V60s. If you get one of those you can use a Razr (but you might need to upgrade its software or even replace it, as discussed by Skylaw). Just use the link and start by clicking 2004 S class to see the Bluetooth puck and discussion of the restrictions.

Be warned though, that without the ability to dock and use the antenna, you might find reception and call quality unsatisfactory. The only ways around that are to either replace the cradle and PSE with the later MHI version (probably about $2,000 with the hybrid razr cradle) or pick up an old V60s on eBay and use it as a fixed carphone. That would be the cheapest route. With a bit of help from your cell carrier, you could switch the razr's number to the V60s and configure it to forward calls to the new number you got for your razr when the V60s is off. That way you'd have voice quality for $10/month (what my cell provider charges to add a phone to my plan). The hardware cost (V60s) would be minimal if you went the eBay route.
OK.... Heres a couple of questions (and I really appreciate the help!)

1. I dont see any electrical connections in there at all...

How much is the cradle (I see the "Puck" is $350+) if the rest of the stuff is there (like my sales brochure says it is).

2. I used my razr V3C from the car yesterday with no problem whatsoever... Does hooking it up to the car cause the signal to diminish? CAN I hook up a V3c?

3. I happen to have an old Motorola V60 phone. But its a Sprint Phone and I have Verizon for my razr... Could I get service for it and use it?

Last edited by RomansDad; 02-20-2007 at 02:05 PM.
Old 02-20-2007, 02:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
1. No, you don't have the cradle installed. You need to check with the dealer to see what you do have and what you need.
2. If you're happy with the Razr in the car, fine. It won't get worse if you use the Bluetooth puck.
3. You'd need a V60s for Verizon. The "s" stands for "speakerphone," which yours doesn't have. But the important difference is that it's compatible with the new cellular 911 standard. Any phone (like your V60) that's not can no longer be activated.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:07 PM

2004 Mercedes S500
Hey i have a 2004 S500 for sale 103k miles, good conditions for 15k plus an extra set of OEM rims 20". email me at howard.ivory@us.army.mil
Old 07-27-2012, 12:26 AM

Car
Originally Posted by AsianML
Looks nice! You sure like white.
HE'S RACIST! Just kidding
Old 07-27-2012, 04:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 S500, 03 C240, 03 E320, 03 tahoe
is your lambo at meza luna frequently?

Originally Posted by RomansDad
Thought I would revive this....

I am now the proud owner of a 2004 S500... Starmark CPO... Full Warrenty til mid 2009...

Getting a full Lorinser kit added as soon as the parts come in...

What else should I get for it???

Its prewired for a phone, but doesnt have one,.... Is there an easy way to integrate a RAZR? What about the Satelite radio or teleaid?

Any recalls I need to know about?

Thanks for everybodies help- Really appreciated it...
just wondering, your cars sound familiar, we have the emerald ave home. be back in the surf in 38 days! see ya!