S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

S320 CDI Starting Problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 03:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S320 CDI Starting Problems

Hi all,

When I try to start the car in the morning, it starts for a couple of seconds, comes up with an ESP fault and cuts. After this it wouldn't start at all.

Jump starting off another car worked every time with no ESP fault.

Having browsed the forums, I bought a new battery - but same fault.

Any idea guys,

THanks in advance
Old 02-09-2007, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The battery only runs flat after trying to start it a number of times.

A mechanic checked the charging, which was OK, and the leakage current was only 0.4A,which seems acceptable.

I was wondering if it could be the glow plugs, as connecting a battery across my own maintains the same voltage, but increases the current capability which the glow plugs would probably need.

A shot in the dark I know, but the MB dealership want 120 GBP just to connect it to their diagnostic system (apparently, they have more features than the garage systems).

Thanks,

Roy
Old 02-09-2007, 04:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by j333nky
The battery only runs flat after trying to start it a number of times.

A mechanic checked the charging, which was OK, and the leakage current was only 0.4A,which seems acceptable.

I was wondering if it could be the glow plugs, as connecting a battery across my own maintains the same voltage, but increases the current capability which the glow plugs would probably need.

A shot in the dark I know, but the MB dealership want 120 GBP just to connect it to their diagnostic system (apparently, they have more features than the garage systems).

Thanks,

Roy
Welcome to the forum and to the expensive world of MB repairs. Sometimes its good to just pay for the diagnostics. You end up fixing the right thing ruther than trial and error. Good luck with this and keep us posted. We gather knowledge by experience.