S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Just purchased an '06 S500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2007 | 12:32 AM

Prius
Just purchased an '06 S500

It is a CPO with roughly 10k miles.

Desert Silver on Stone. It will take some time for the exterior color to grow on me as an other family member had the same exact car/color a couple of years back and I didn't like it too much (not for the younger crowd I guess). The car just made sense considering what I was in the market for and other specifics.

The stone is definitely an interesting color though!

I take delivery Monday but I won't be able to enjoy the car until next weekend

Vehicle looks brand new inside and out! Has the sports package, etc.

Now for the question, I would like to purchase a new steering wheel for the vehicle. What is the best route for me to take? I would like to get a wooden one if possible. Any estimate on price, roughly? I am worried about doing this as they stopped making the car and I'm sure the supply is getting scarce.

Last edited by Duffy; 02-26-2007 at 01:16 AM.
Old 02-26-2007 | 12:39 AM

Prius
By the way, I would like to purchase a new OEM steering wheel if it matters at all.

I will be sure to provide better pictures when I can!
Old 02-26-2007 | 01:05 AM

2000 S-Class
Congrats on the purchase! Your pictures aren't loading!
Old 02-26-2007 | 01:17 AM

Prius
Originally Posted by dtxmob
Congrats on the purchase! Your pictures aren't loading!
Should work now.

Thanks by the way
Old 02-26-2007 | 01:31 AM

355 F1 Spider & ......V12 w220.176
Congrats............

Is that the heated steering wheel?
Old 02-26-2007 | 02:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
The W220 still looks good!

M
Old 02-26-2007 | 07:21 AM

2004 S500
Originally Posted by Duffy
It is a CPO with roughly 10k miles.

Desert Silver on Stone. It will take some time for the exterior color to grow on me as an other family member had the same exact car/color a couple of years back and I didn't like it too much (not for the younger crowd I guess). The car just made sense considering what I was in the market for and other specifics.

The stone is definitely an interesting color though!

I take delivery Monday but I won't be able to enjoy the car until next weekend

Vehicle looks brand new inside and out! Has the sports package, etc.

Now for the question, I would like to purchase a new steering wheel for the vehicle. What is the best route for me to take? I would like to get a wooden one if possible. Any estimate on price, roughly? I am worried about doing this as they stopped making the car and I'm sure the supply is getting scarce.

Great looking car...you will love it. Don't worry about finding a wooden wheel. They were part of a upgrade package that MB offered on W220's...dealer should be able to hook you up. A matching wood shift knob looks good as well. Enjoy.
Old 02-26-2007 | 06:26 PM

Prius
Originally Posted by sprink49
Great looking car...you will love it. Don't worry about finding a wooden wheel. They were part of a upgrade package that MB offered on W220's...dealer should be able to hook you up. A matching wood shift knob looks good as well. Enjoy.
How much should I expect the best deal for one to cost, roughly?

Thanks!
Old 02-26-2007 | 10:39 PM

2004 S500
I've heard $750~$1000 for the wheel installed, I'm not sure about the knob.
Old 02-26-2007 | 10:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB, BMW
beautiful!! definitely get the wooden wheel & the knob, it'll make a HUGE difference. enjoy!
Old 02-26-2007 | 11:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Originally Posted by ProV1
beautiful!! definitely get the wooden wheel & the knob, it'll make a HUGE difference. enjoy!
I'm after the same thing for mine but we both have the heated steering wheel. I was under the impression that you could not have a wood AND heated steering wheel is this true??
Old 02-27-2007 | 12:05 AM

Prius
Originally Posted by my06clk
I'm after the same thing for mine but we both have the heated steering wheel. I was under the impression that you could not have a wood AND heated steering wheel is this true??

My bad, I thought I responded to your question earlier

I am pretty sure that I don't have the heated steering wheel option.

Ryan
Old 02-27-2007 | 12:06 AM

Prius
Originally Posted by sprink49
I've heard $750~$1000 for the wheel installed, I'm not sure about the knob.
I will be sure to drop by a dealer sometime next week when I have a chance.

Thanks for the heads up!
Old 02-27-2007 | 12:06 AM

Prius
Originally Posted by ProV1
Thanks for the compliments everyone!
Old 02-27-2007 | 12:29 AM
Almost a Member!

2001 Mercedes Benz S55 AMG
Thanks for the compliments everyone!
Wow! That is certainly a rarely seen and beautiful color! On the wood steering wheel and shifter knob here is a link to a Company that wholesale it to the dealerships but they will sell retail if you mention to them that you heard they have the best products on the Mercedes Forum:

http://www.apsisusa.com/Steering%20W...pplication.htm

They have both heated and unheated wood steering wheels too and all sorts of accessories for your new Benz and needless to say, they have the best prices...

Enjoy your new ride!
Attached Thumbnails Just purchased an '06 S500-s55-wood-steering-wheel-shifter-knob.jpg  

Last edited by gregwang; 02-27-2007 at 12:42 AM.
Old 02-27-2007 | 12:40 AM

Prius
Originally Posted by gregwang
Wow! That is certainly a rarely seen and beautiful color! On the wood steering wheel and shifter knob here is a link to a Company that wholesale it to the dealerships but they will sell retail if you mention to them that you heard they have the best products on the Mercedes Forum:

They have both heated and unheated wood steering wheels too and all sorts of accessories for your new Benz and needless to say, they have the best prices...

Enjoy your new ride!
EXACTLY what I've been looking for!! Thanks! I'm going to see where I can get the best price, compare their quote with the other link mentioned above.

Would it be considered "OEM" by the dealer though? I don't want to tamper with warranty or safety characteristics (I will have the dealer install it)
Old 02-27-2007 | 12:46 AM
Almost a Member!

EXACTLY what I've been looking for!! Thanks! I'm going to see where I can get the best price, compare their quote with the other link mentioned above.

Would it be considered "OEM" by the dealer though? I don't want to tamper with warranty or safety characteristics (I will have the dealer install it)
Yes my Friend! These are all OEM Steering Wheels and I believe you will have to send them yours after it is replaced to get a core refund. (The actually take the OEM leather steering wheel to build a brand new wood and leather steering wheel.) And I would highly recommend you have the MBZ Dealer or an Independent MBZ Mechanic install this steering wheel for you because of the air bag.(Even my Body shop did not want to touch this one because of the air bag...)

Good luck!
Old 02-27-2007 | 12:54 AM

Prius
Yes my Friend! These are all OEM Steering Wheels and I believe you will have to send them yours after it is replaced to get a core refund. (The actually take the OEM leather steering wheel to build a brand new wood and leather steering wheel.) And I would highly recommend you have the MBZ Dealer or an Independent MBZ Mechanic install this steering wheel for you because of the air bag.(Even my Body shop did not want to touch this one because of the air bag...)

Good luck!
Great

Quick question for you after looking at the picture of your beautiful steering wheel--

When you put the vehicle in "sport" mode (the button by the shifter) does the vehicle drive/ride considerably rougher compared to the comfort mode? It is this way in our 2006 ML...the ride was just on the rough side when I test drove the S500. Later on I saw that the vehicle said it was in "Sport mode", so I hit the button and put it in comfort mode...never got to drive it again after pressing the button though. I am hoping that the vehicle was riding rough due to being in sport mode, I would think that it would reset back to "comfort" everytime you restart the vehicle though (it said "sport" mode even though I had restarted the vehicle when playing with some of the toys inside)...

Last edited by Duffy; 02-27-2007 at 12:57 AM.
Old 02-27-2007 | 02:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Great

Quick question for you after looking at the picture of your beautiful steering wheel--

When you put the vehicle in "sport" mode (the button by the shifter) does the vehicle drive/ride considerably rougher compared to the comfort mode? It is this way in our 2006 ML...the ride was just on the rough side when I test drove the S500. Later on I saw that the vehicle said it was in "Sport mode", so I hit the button and put it in comfort mode...never got to drive it again after pressing the button though. I am hoping that the vehicle was riding rough due to being in sport mode, I would think that it would reset back to "comfort" everytime you restart the vehicle though (it said "sport" mode even though I had restarted the vehicle when playing with some of the toys inside)...
Sport mode has nothing to do with the engine actually.. All it really does is allow for the car to start in 2nd gear when it is in comfort "C" mode so that take offs are a bit smoother. I keep mine in sport as a preference because I like to feel it take off. plus its easier to identify when she is being a bit sluggush. Comfort has sort of a sluggish feel by default.IMO

Whatever setting you choose, it stays that way till you switch it back. It doesn't automatically revert to one setting or another
Old 02-27-2007 | 02:41 AM

Prius
Originally Posted by my06clk
Sport mode has nothing to do with the engine actually.. All it really does is allow for the car to start in 2nd gear when it is in comfort "C" mode so that take offs are a bit smoother. I keep mine in sport as a preference because I like to feel it take off. plus its easier to identify when she is being a bit sluggush. Comfort has sort of a sluggish feel by default.IMO

Whatever setting you choose, it stays that way till you switch it back. It doesn't automatically revert to one setting or another
I'm referring to the suspension settings when in sport/comfort mode, not the actual engine mapping characteristics.

Hows the suspension in sport mode?
Old 02-27-2007 | 09:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
Sport mode only affects the transmission program, starting in second and later shift points. It has nothing to do with the suspension.
Old 02-27-2007 | 04:36 PM

'11 S550 4Matic, '12 SL63 AMG, '13 ML350, '16 AMG GT-S Ed. 1,'03 Ford F-250

Enjoy your new ride!
I ordered my steering wheel from apsis. Leather/burlwood for $495.00, plus the core charge of $300.00. Very good customer service! They shipped the wheel the same day as the order. Very friendly and easy to deal with!
Old 02-27-2007 | 04:42 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by brianw430
I ordered my steering wheel from apsis. Leather/burlwood for $495.00, plus the core charge of $300.00. Very good customer service! They shipped the wheel the same day as the order. Very friendly and easy to deal with!

Congrats! Remember to post some pictures after you install them.

Cheers!
Old 02-27-2007 | 04:44 PM

2003 S430 Sport Package
As stated by whoover, the button by the shifter controls the way the transmission shifts. It used to be labeld S/W for summer and winter, where the second gear start effectively makes driving on slippery surfaces easier.
To control the suspension, use the three positon button located in the row of buttons just below the center vents. You should find one with a graphic of a shock absorber. It will allow you to toggle between three suspesion settings. Press it once and one red light will come on. Twice = two lights. Press again and no lights. Two lights is the firmest setting, one light is firm and no lights is softest.
Old 02-27-2007 | 07:24 PM

Prius
Originally Posted by wyatt earp
As stated by whoover, the button by the shifter controls the way the transmission shifts. It used to be labeld S/W for summer and winter, where the second gear start effectively makes driving on slippery surfaces easier.
To control the suspension, use the three positon button located in the row of buttons just below the center vents. You should find one with a graphic of a shock absorber. It will allow you to toggle between three suspesion settings. Press it once and one red light will come on. Twice = two lights. Press again and no lights. Two lights is the firmest setting, one light is firm and no lights is softest.
The shocks were on the softest setting...and the vehicle still drove VERY ROUGH!

Is this possibly due to the sports package? It would be hard to believe as it is still an S class Mercedes...

Any idea as to why the vehicle could be riding so rough? Bad shocks maybe? Hope it is something warranty can take care of...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just purchased an '06 S500