S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Trunk Lid, stuff in trunk gets soaked

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 08:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 S430
Trunk Lid, stuff in trunk gets soaked

I just noticed for the first time today, when raining and there is standing water on the trunk lid, the rain water runs into the trunk compartment when the trunk is fully opened. It runs down towards the rear window and pours into the trunk between then lid and rear window. Is this normal for these cars or do I need to make an adjustment to how far the lid opens. Everything gets soaked in the trunk.

Any help, thanks.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Destination Unk
I just noticed for the first time today, when raining and there is standing water on the trunk lid, the rain water runs into the trunk compartment when the trunk is fully opened. It runs down towards the rear window and pours into the trunk between then lid and rear window. Is this normal for these cars or do I need to make an adjustment to how far the lid opens. Everything gets soaked in the trunk.

Any help, thanks.
Take car of that problem before that water gets into your audio components in the trunk and give you electric problems for life. Check those rubber liners around the trunk lid and ensure they are all intact and not cracked or worn out. Also check all around the car and the doors for those small drain holes for clogging. One thing you dont want to live with is an S class with S electric problems.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 S430
I am not talking about when the trunk lid is closed. When you open it and the water rolls down the lid it seems to miss the drain area around teh opening and goes right into the trunk.
Old 05-18-2007, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
exactly the same for me my friend, Im not glad its happening to you but glad Im not the only one!!

I noticed it a lot over the last few rainy days (only had my pre-owned 1999 s430l a few days), a bit annoying! didnt happen on the bmw 530d e60 i just let go, i remember when a wet boot on that car raised , the water would fall on to the back windscreen , and as it came down the back windscreen, it would hit the rubber seals around the boot hole which would guide the water safely around the edge, the water never flowed over the seals into the boot.

minor design flaw methinks!