S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

navigation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 10:45 AM
gac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 S500 black/java/2011 Escalade (wifes)
navigation

does anyone know if I can upgrade my navigation on my 02' S500 I live on Long Island had to drive up to Oneonta last week and it only gave me a choice of 2 streets in the entire area! I had to stop at a gas station and ask someone. seems pretty dumb when you have navigation. I dont know if I can just purchase one disc for the state of new york or do I have to buy all of them?
thanks
Old 04-17-2007, 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Originally Posted by gac
does anyone know if I can upgrade my navigation on my 02' S500 I live on Long Island had to drive up to Oneonta last week and it only gave me a choice of 2 streets in the entire area! I had to stop at a gas station and ask someone. seems pretty dumb when you have navigation. I dont know if I can just purchase one disc for the state of new york or do I have to buy all of them?
thanks
Problem with getting a newer Nav disc is that you never know for sure if it's even on the new disc. If it's and old area it's a dice toss. If it's a new area you know for sure that it may not be added.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gac
thanks
Which disk release are you using? Keep your discs upto date and you get the full enjoyment of the nav. The latest disc are like Jan 07 release date. Maybe that will solve that problem.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 321 Likes on 237 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by my06clk
Problem with getting a newer Nav disc is that you never know for sure if it's even on the new disc. If it's and old area it's a dice toss. If it's a new area you know for sure that it may not be added.
Chances are that a newer disc won't have much more detail. There's only so much space on a CD so they concentrate on the urban areas. They use the space for more Chinese restaurants on the West Side and not for roads upstate. The DVD-based system is better but still omits a lot of detail in rural areas.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
If it will help, one contributor reported the part number for the "Mid-Atlantic USA" (CD #8) as BQ 6 46 0222, with the release date of 1/07. I don't know if that part number applies to the entire disc set (the only way the dealer sells them), or only to the particular disc, but it may give you a start to locating the right set.

I also found that in my '00 S500, the nav system was very finicky over "city" information. My home was in Baltimore County, and my street would not show if I entered "Baltimore" as the city. A street sharing the name of my street was shown, but my house number did not show, and the directions were very wrong (the city and county each had a street with the same name - but one was completely separate from the other). There was no choice for "Baltimore County" or "Baltimore unincorporated" in the city list - as there often is where the city and county share a name. However, when I entered the city name of "Gwynn Oak," the historical name for the area of my house, my street and block were indeed listed. How anyone without the knowledge of the area name (it's not a city, or even even a subdivision name - it's the name of the post office, and an amusement park that was there 50 years ago) would have found it, I'll never know.

If that doesn't work for you, you could be out of luck, for the reason whoover gave. Even with the DVD nav in my '05, very few streets were displayed in some small West Virginia towns I visited last year.

Last edited by Skylaw; 04-18-2007 at 06:42 AM.