S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

$1300 at each brake pad change-out?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 12:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$1300 at each brake pad change-out?

Bought my S 3 months ago, love it... No problems so far and everything is great. But the brakes squeek a little here and there.

I figured I would have them looked at, and dropped the car off.

The dealer calls me the next day while I am out of town telling me that the brake pads and rotors are not MB and that is why they squeek. He tells me they "dig into each other" by design and this increases brake efficiency, so they recomended changing pads and rotors during any pad change. The cost to do this... $1300.

1st - Is it true the pads and rotor are designed to dig into each other with MB's?

2nd - Should I just buck up and drop my pants and pay $1300 for stock rotors and pads?

3rd - Is aftermarket a viable solution that does not squeek? If so what kind?

Any/all response appreciated.

GTIG
Old 04-26-2007, 01:02 PM

04 S55 AMG
Originally Posted by gtig
Bought my S 3 months ago, love it... No problems so far and everything is great. But the brakes squeek a little here and there.

The dealer calls me the next day while I am out of town telling me that the brake pads and rotors are not MB and that is why they squeek. He tells me they "dig into each other" by design and this increases brake efficiency, so they recomended changing pads and rotors during any pad change. The cost to do this... $1300.

1st - Is it true the pads and rotor are designed to dig into each other with MB's?

2nd - Should I just buck up and drop my pants and pay $1300 for stock rotors and pads?

GTIG
Not 100% true, they use I believe a Ceramic or Metallic pad, so technically shouldnt be a problem. I would just get the parts and replace it myself or someone who is mechanically inclined, its not a hard job at all actuall, fairly simple in my book (but I love working on cars).

Dixit
Old 04-26-2007, 03:11 PM
kor
Almost a Member!

MB S320CDI 2001, VW Golf Variant 2001, BMW E36 328I cabrio 1998
Look at some D.I.Y. instructions and you can determine if it is a job for you to do on an afternoon.
Best look at the discs yourself before getting them replaced. If it has no signs of excessive wear or grooves than they should stay on the car. Maybe even the pads are still OK. I know some people got squeaking brake sounds because they forget to use a kind of paste that should get on the back of the pads (my brand is molykote, I do not know what you use in the USA)

I can not recall exactly, but there was a thread in this forum a few months ago that was foreseen with detailed photo's on the entire job.

Success with your Benz and think what you can do with $1300,-
Old 04-26-2007, 04:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LX470
Originally Posted by kor
Look at some D.I.Y. instructions and you can determine if it is a job for you to do on an afternoon.
Best look at the discs yourself before getting them replaced. If it has no signs of excessive wear or grooves than they should stay on the car. Maybe even the pads are still OK. I know some people got squeaking brake sounds because they forget to use a kind of paste that should get on the back of the pads (my brand is molykote, I do not know what you use in the USA)

I can not recall exactly, but there was a thread in this forum a few months ago that was foreseen with detailed photo's on the entire job.

1300 is a lot of ****** and blow!

Seriously though, 1300 is STEEP even for a sleazy stealership. I believe I paid a hair under 1,000 for all new rotors and pads on my old S 500.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW E39
Originally Posted by kor

https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w220/169374-brake-job-instructions.html
Old 04-26-2007, 09:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Originally Posted by gtig

GTIG
That's funny.. I just removed those squeeky a@# factory brakes off my car. Where does he get off telling you they are not MB brakes therefore they squeak. That my friend is what you call a Fallacy.....

Anywayz,, I just did all four wheels for 100 bucks. Easy job if you know how.

Most auto parts sores carry pads for these cars. they range from 49 to 129 bucks depending on where you get them.
Old 04-28-2007, 12:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 Sienna SE, 01 S500, 05 LS430 UL
Over $1000 for brakes/rotors??? I thought that was amg territory at least?

I think you should pull your pant back up.
I had a mercedes shop do my front brakes for about $300. If you want, I can check the receipts again.

About how many miles are on your car?