S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Fixing scratch...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2002, 03:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fixing scratch...

Hi...

Earlier today someone backed into my car leaving a 1 in scratch in my rear bumper...Although I would take it to the body shop to have the work done, I was wondering if I could do anything with Benz touch up paint? It's in the paint, but not too deep.

Could someone give me some advice and what type of work I'm looking at?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 10-07-2002, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
If the scratch isn't throughthe pain you are better off leaving it alone rather than trying to touch it up. If it's through the paint it can be touched up like any other scratch.

For a one inch scratch I would avoid refinishing the bumper. The flexible bumper covers are a little tricky to spot refinish -the repair is often visible.

Plus, when you trade in the car they will ask if there is any paint work. I understand that they can measure paint thickness to see if it varies from the factory..........
Old 10-07-2002, 12:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for your reply...

Yup...it's in the paint. I've had this bumper refinished once before and you can definetly indentify the area that was repainted. This was the dealer's own body shop...but I didn't really fight it since it's a lease anyway.

I'll probably just drop by the dealer today and pick up some touch up paint. Will I have to get some clear coat also?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 10-07-2002, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
I wouldn't bother with the clearcoat. IMHO the only way to really get a good repair on flexible surfaces is to replace them.

Hope it turns out well.