S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

No sound from CD player.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 09:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 Black S500
No sound from CD player.

I recently had my car serviced and had the struts replaced and that portion went o.k. When I decided to play some tunes from my CD changer the next morning, no sound. The radio and the tape player works fine with audio outputting to the speakers, but not the CD. The player window in CD mode shows track, time elapse, ect, and even swaps cds correctly, but no audio. Any help?
Old 06-08-2007, 10:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
355 F1 Spider & ......V12 w220.176
Originally Posted by E-Z-E
I recently had my car serviced and had the struts replaced and that portion went o.k. When I decided to play some tunes from my CD changer the next morning, no sound. The radio and the tape player works fine with audio outputting to the speakers, but not the CD. The player window in CD mode shows track, time elapse, ect, and even swaps cds correctly, but no audio. Any help?
Possibly the cable was not replaced correctly or the cable is cut.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 Black S500
No Sound from cd player

Is this something I can fix myself ? I took it to the dealer this morning and they performed a complimentary diagnostic on the system. Apparently something is not right because the phone controls are not working either. They say that they can bypass the phone and possibly get the sound to output from the cd, but no guarantee. An 1-1/2" hour fix, they say. Is there a way to reset the comand module? The phone readout reads, "locked". My opinion is that something is stuck in a command mode. Any additional help is appreciated.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
355 F1 Spider & ......V12 w220.176
I'm not sure.... wish I could help.

Though you said that you just got it back from service and it didn't work. Is it poss. that when they replaced the strut they damaged the wiring?

Not sure
Old 06-09-2007, 08:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
White S63 AMG W/Designo Interior
my car had it worst, said no cd changer, no phone, and no sound whatsoever, i unplugged the fuse under the passenger rear seat plugged it back in and it works fine now....
Old 06-09-2007, 11:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Try re-initializing the fiber optic bus. Use the debug mode in COMAND. Depress the MUTE+1+3 keys, select Diagnosis, then System Reset.

It may not work - but give it a try.

The other thing to look for is a disconnected fiber optic lead (they are orange), or perhaps one that is overly kinked (though this usually results in static, not silence). The phonew bulletins at Paul Dick's site can help you trace the proper wiring. http://home.earthlink.net/~phdwebsit..._bulletins.htm

If your rear struts were replaced, it is possible that some work was done near your audio equipment, though disturbing it should not have been necessary.

The last thing to consider is whether a STAR diagnostics computer was used as part of any calibration process after replacing your struts - I don't know enough about the replacement to say for sure. However, if it was, it is possible that some of your components were improperly reset inadvertently.