S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

HI All - Some S Class questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2007 | 07:16 AM

HI All - Some S Class questions

Hi All

I just registered and thought i would say hello to all you people of impeccable taste.
I just got a 2000 S Class 320. Its absolutly lovely. I had a Shogun before this and it does not compare at all. I love all the toys in the car. How the hell MB managed to fit sooooooo much into one car is beyond me.

I have a few questions:

1 - Since getting the car i have now realised that there is a face lift. What the differances and are there any common problems i should know about.

2- I like the exterior of the facelife. Is it possible to make my car look like this and it is expensive?

3 - I like the facelift rear lights. Can i change these and will they be a direct fit?

I'm sorry for asking so many questions on my first visit but i have been looking around for a while for answers but can't find them.

I will take a picture of her soon and post it up for you guys to see my new baby .
Old 06-30-2007 | 10:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
There is a great deal of information posted already concerning your questions.

For "Problems" with the S-Class in general - do a search of MBWorld and BenzWorld using the terms "S-Class reliability" and "W220 reliability." You will get a lot of information.

For upgrades to your headlights and taillights, see the multiple links posted at https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...=1#post2298265. If they don't answer your questions, try searching terms you see in some of the strings the links take you to.

Please be aware that fitting HID halogen projector lenses that have the '03 appearance will be far simpler than fitting Bi-Xenon lenses; the connections are not the same. HID halogens have Xenon low beams, but halogen high beams, the connections will be similar to what you have. Bi-Xenon uses the brighter Xenon for both. You may need specially-made harness adapters to use them, and the adapters are hard to obtain.

You ask whether the upgrades are expensive; since you have a 2000 S320, I presume it is European specification. However, without the forum members knowing your location, it is very difficult to say. In the U.S. it can be expensive, with the price varying a lot by whether you use original equipment parts or Asian copies (for original equipment, $1500 for the HID headlight assemblies; $350 for the taillights - installation extra for both). Some of the links I referred you to above have prices listed.

I have never seen the specific fit for S320 taillights; however, when I replaced the taillights on my 2000 S500, using original equipment '03 lights, I had to remove a plastic guide pin (a hole present in the body of the '03 model S500 did not exist on my '00); and I had to reposition a metal bolt to a different socket in the taillight assembly. It took only about five minutes for each lens. Once I did that, they fit perfectly. Some of the 3rd party knock-offs (sold specifically as "upgrade" lenses vice "replacement" lenses) already have the pin and bolt repositioned. However, forum members report variances in the quality of the appearance of the 3rd party (aftermarket) lenses.

One source for upgrades is Steve@MBENZNL.com. Steve Krabbenborg operates from the Netherlands, and travels to many locations to perform installations and upgrades. This could also include upgrading the COMAND system in your car to a wide-screen version (though doing it in a '00 can cause you to lose the ability to control COMAND with your steering wheel buttons). You would have to contact Steve to see if he travels to where you are located, and what he has available to install. Steve provides the harness adapters I mentioned if he does the installation, but he does not sell them separately.

Last edited by Skylaw; 06-30-2007 at 10:27 PM.
Old 06-30-2007 | 01:13 PM

Thanks Skylaw for all that info. The car is a UK S320. Sorry i never knew that the S Class is different in other continents
Old 06-30-2007 | 10:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mostly, it's electronics; COMAND is different between the U.S., Europe, and Asia; the engines differ in pollution controls; and I guessed you had a European spec car because the W220 S320 wasn't introduced in the U.S. until the '04 model year (I think).

Last edited by Skylaw; 06-30-2007 at 10:29 PM.
Old 07-15-2007 | 02:46 AM

c d changer

my cd magazine on my 2002 s500 got stuck, radio says no cd changer,,, how can i get my magazine out thanks
Old 07-15-2007 | 07:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by custombenz
my cd magazine on my 2002 s500 got stuck, radio says no cd changer,,, how can i get my magazine out thanks
This problem is written up repeatedly on BenzWorld and MBWorld - I don't have them bookmarked - so do a little searching, using the very terms in your question.