S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Auto locked

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 S320
Angry Auto locked

I recently purchased a 1999 S320 that had been repocessed. It was missing the key. I had the car delivered to the local Mercedes dealer, unloaded by a large forklift and the new key ordered.
5 weeks later after many lost emails the new key arrived. The car battery was re-charged and the key inserted and re-programmed, a three hour process I was told.
The Engine was then started ok, but apparently the gear leaver wont move?
From the dealers email im not sure weather the gear lever is jammed or locked.
May be the key didn't program properly?
Another friend mentioned that if the battery goes flt the ECU needs to be reset?
Any opinions would be appreciated.

Car has travelled 71,000km

Regards Simon

Last edited by simonjj; 07-20-2007 at 08:54 PM.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:25 PM

1999 S320
Locked Transmission

This reply from Mercedes Dealer. "from they still are unable to unlock the gear selector from position, ..will have to do more checking, sorry, the car will not be ready this afternoon, ....the car starts up, but can not get it into drive etc.

...problem probably lies with the selector control unit."

Next reply.

Additional parts that maybe required may also be available for further discount to us, to assist us in correcting all faults. "

The central locking stopped working so I asked if this could be effecting the anti theft system.

The reply was

" Have followed this through with our Service Dept, they have shown me that the central locking has no relative connection to the gear shift mechanism, we got the remote central locking to work using one key, the other key only worked very inttermitently.

With the central locking unlocked with the key, the shift lever still does not want to move.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1993 300SEL/S320
There is a thread around here do a search under shifter stuck or something like that alot of people had the problem, I'll have a look for you and see what I can find, out of interest which dealer is looking after the car?
Old 08-02-2007, 10:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1993 300SEL/S320
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220...ad-thread.html

There thats a thread from another forum that explains what I think may be happening to your car sadly it's not a cheap fix....but you never know it might be something to do with the keys.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:33 AM

1999 S320
Stuck in Park.

Thank you very much for the link. I will pass the info on to the workshop.
The Car is in Palmy. Will let you know what happens. Regards Simon
Old 08-22-2007, 04:43 PM

r 320cdi
Stuck in park HUH

The fault with the vehicle is nothing to do with your key issues or central locking. The reason why the veh was allowed to be re posessed was because they guy could not get it out of park.

It could be that the brake light switch is u/s, to test it, turn on the ign and press the brake, if you have your hand on the gear lever when you do this and do not feel a click then the switch is faulty.

However if you feel a heavy click then the switch is ok, the electronics in the Selector unit are ok but has a mechanical failure in it. This means the whole unit has to be replaced as it has some armour/ high tensile steel plating in it.

I know a guy who replaces the units within an hour in the UK.

Best Luck