S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Tank Content/After Start/After Reset Screen HELP!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 10:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2023 EQs 450+ & 2002 S430
Exclamation Tank Content/After Start/After Reset Screen HELP!

I got my S-500 new in 2001. Its a love affair to say the least. I've never had the time to read thru that gigantic manual that comes with the car. I think I know just about everything EXCEPT for: Can anyone please explain to me how to use that screen on the dash that has the option "After Start" and After Reset"? Its prett obvious to me how to use the "Tank Content" screen (which I typically keep mine on). Today, I decided I want to know how to use those other two options. I drove to work with the screen on After Start-and the numbers kept changing, but i had no idea what it all meant. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-25-2007, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 S430 Sport Package
Mileage reset screens

The "After Start" screen resets itself each time you restart the engine, after it's been off for a period of time (just not sure exactly how long). It's usefull to show your distance travelled and MPG.
The "After Reset" screen shows the cumulative miles driven after you MANUALLY reset this feature, as well as the average MPG since reset. If you do not manually reset this screen at fill-up, it will show all the miles travelled since it was last reset manually.
The "miles to empty" screen uses the average MPG (after reset) AND the current MPG (after start) to give a fairly accurate estimate of how far you can drive until you run out of gas. If you leave this screen on, you can see the estimate change up of down depending upon your current MPG.
This is what I do at fill-up. I scroll to the Odometer screen, which shows the total vehicle mileage, as well as the trip mileage. I press the "R" button to reset the Trip. I then scroll to the "After Reset" screen and zero out the mileage and average MPG. I then scroll to the "After Start" screen and reset that because it usually won't reset after a short off period just to refill the tank (like I said above, not sure how long the engine has to be off for this screen to automatically reset)
Hope this helps.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 310 Likes on 228 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Is it that much harder to look it up in the manual?
Old 07-26-2007, 01:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2023 EQs 450+ & 2002 S430
Looking it up in manual

Thanks for the sarcasm! Unfortunately, I don't have the time to go searching thru that silly manual. I actually thought thats what this forum was for....the manual is a bit confusing (to say the least). Regards.