S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Anyone got a picture of a TPMS sensor?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 S55 AMG
Anyone got a picture of a TPMS sensor?

Man I really need to get one of these, I had some custom wheels made for my S55 and the dude forgot to drill the damn TPMS hole (having two holes in the wheels, one for TPMS, and one for the valve stem). I wanted to get an idea of what the TPMS looks like and the angle of how the valve comes out of the sensor. Anyone got a picture they can send me would be highly appreciated. Otherwise Im going to have to crack open one of my tires just for this mess.

Dixit

Last edited by speedlimit; 03-28-2012 at 05:50 AM.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Originally Posted by Dixit
Man I really need to get one of these, I had some custom wheels made for my S55 and the dude forgot to drill the damn TPMS hole (having two holes in the wheels, one for TPMS, and one for the valve stem). I wanted to get an idea of what the TPMS looks like and the angle of how the valve comes out of the sensor. Anyone got a picture they can send me at would be highly appreciated. Otherwise Im going to have to crack open one of my tires just for this mess.

Dixit
If the angle is all you are needing The OEM TPMS sensors come with a swivel that allows up to about a 22(ish) degree angle so for MOST wheels. Just make the hole centered on the slope where the stem goes and it should be perfect.

I'ts also a good idea to put the TPMS hole exactly across from the valve stem hole for balancing reasons.

It's always better if it would fit in the valve stem hole to eliminate making the extra hole but some won't.

Also Tire Rack sells a TPMS sensor that has a 43mm stem so it fits most wheels where the valve stem goes so you don't have to make the extra hole.

You should try that first. Worse case, at least you'll have a set of sensors which you need anywayz...

hope that helps..

Last edited by speedlimit; 03-28-2012 at 05:50 AM.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:21 PM

04 S55 AMG
Problem is I cant use the hole that DPE created for the valve stem because thats almost dead center of the wheel basket and behind a spoke. It has a shorty valve stem on it so it clears my calipers, plus the angle is straight out basically 90degrees. So the stock sensor or even the tirerack wouldnt work. Only option is to strap the sensor into the wheel and screw making the hole entirely, but ive heard some horror stories on the straps falling apart or coming loose and then you got a butchered sensor inside the tire. So id rather not do that, probably would just drill another hole 180degrees from the valve stem. And have it pointed into the back of the wheel. The stock stem should fit through, I really dont need to fill air through it so not really concerned if its long enough, just need it to clear through and seal.

Dixit
Old 08-01-2007, 01:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Originally Posted by Dixit
Problem is I cant use the hole that DPE created for the valve stem because thats almost dead center of the wheel basket and behind a spoke. It has a shorty valve stem on it so it clears my calipers, plus the angle is straight out basically 90degrees. So the stock sensor or even the tirerack wouldnt work. Only option is to strap the sensor into the wheel and screw making the hole entirely, but ive heard some horror stories on the straps falling apart or coming loose and then you got a butchered sensor inside the tire. So id rather not do that, probably would just drill another hole 180degrees from the valve stem. And have it pointed into the back of the wheel. The stock stem should fit through, I really dont need to fill air through it so not really concerned if its long enough, just need it to clear through and seal.

Dixit
Yeah strapping sensors is not the best idea. I've tried that.. didn't last too long before I realized that was a mistake.

Anyway, you will have to drill a hole on the rear side of the wheel to fit your sensor and stem. This is what I had to do with my LM6 replicas for the same reason.
Basically most wheels have two layers or steps at the rear section. The first step or layer comes off the center barrel or flat part of the rim, and the second step is where the tire seal against the wheel on the inside. So, you drill a hole precisely across from your other hole on the first step of the wheel. This will allow you to mount your sensor and allow it to be positioned against the center barrel of the rim with the stem sticking down into the rear section of the wheel similar to how the stem sticks out of the front. No rubbing , no interference with anything, and well inside the tire seal. Just like a regular valve stem except on the opposite side of the wheel.

You can try to do the same thing 180 degrees from the valve stem on the same side, but the TPMS sensor is always going to act as a counter balance and you will use more weight to get a good balance. That's why its better to use the same position just on the opposite side of the wheel.

How do your new rims look? post a pic when you're done.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:27 PM

04 S55 AMG
Yea looks like Im going to drill the hole right on that step on the back side of the wheel 180degrees from the valve stem.

That area where it dips in the center of the rim, its only about 2" wide so wanna make sure the sensor will fit there. Also since that step/lip on the outside is going to be at a good angle, wonder how the outside screw of the TPMS will mount to make sure its tight and sealed.

Here are some pics of the wheels out of the box.

Dixit
Attached Thumbnails Anyone got a picture of a TPMS sensor?-cimg4931.jpg   Anyone got a picture of a TPMS sensor?-cimg4934.jpg   Anyone got a picture of a TPMS sensor?-cimg4930.jpg