S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

My AC stopped working when car was low on fuel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 03:23 PM

Received 279 Likes on 193 Posts
2001 S600 V12 Sold, 2011 Jaguar XFR Sold, 2017 S550 4-Matic, 2018 S63 AMG Sedan
My AC stopped working when car was low on fuel

I haVe a 2001 S600 w/58K on the odometer. I was driving home this weekend when my AC just stopped working. The EC light stays on, and I can't get it to let the AC run. I took it to a shop today and had the pressure checked. He said there was plenty R-134 in the system.

I know the car goes into EC mode when it runs low on fuel. That's what happened to me; I wanted to get gas at a station I have an account with, so I let it run a little more than halfway down the reserve section. I read int he manual that the Climate Control goes into EC mode to conserve fuel, btu I thought it would reset iftself automatically. What else could I have done to cause this?

How do I get the AC to reset? Is there a trick that I couldn't find in the manual? I have an appointment at the Dealership, but I really don't want to have to pay for the dealer to service this, unless I have to.

Has this ever happened to anyone else.

Last edited by carlosinseattle; 09-12-2007 at 04:05 PM.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Originally Posted by carlosinseattle
I haVe a 2001 S600 w/58K on the odometer. I was driving home this weekend when my AC just stopped working. The EC light stays on, and I can't get it to let the AC run. I took it to a shop today and had the pressure checked. He said there was plenty R-134 in the system.

I know the car goes into EC mode when it runs low on fuel. That's what happened to me; I wanted to get gas at a station I have an account with, so I let it run a little more than halfway down the reserve section. I read int he manual that the Climate Control goes into EC mode to conserve fuel, btu I thought it would reset iftself automatically. What else could I have done to cause this?

How do I get the AC to reset? Is there a trick that I couldn't find in the manual? I have an appointment at the Dealership, but I really don't want to have to pay for the dealer to service this, unless I have to.

Has this ever happened to anyone else.
You have a V12. I can't imagine what purpose any supplemental conservation program would serve on that car..
I have never heard of these cars turning off the AC when it is low on fuel.. If that was the case mine would never work unless it's specific to the 600 which gives me yet another reason not to get one.

I think (hope ) you have something else wrong.. the dealer would know. Unless it's a benz shop with Star Diag., then you can get 100 wrong answers
about the functionality of the AC program on these cars..

My AC off light came on for no reason earlier this year and it took the dealer to hook up and reset it for me. I haven't had any issues since.

Imagine me living in Tx and running low on fuel in the middle of the day, and my AC goes off.. I'd NOT be driving this car for long that's for sure...
Old 09-12-2007, 08:21 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2019 S450
Once the AC fault code is set it must be cleared with the Star to get the compressor to run again and extinguish the EC led...
Probly a pound low on 134.. The system should be checked for leakes and the system evacuated and recharged to the correct charge after the fault code is cleared..