S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

2001 S600 Problem started with MAF change

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 12:37 AM

Received 283 Likes on 197 Posts
2001 S600 V12 Sold, 2011 Jaguar XFR Sold, 2017 S550 4-Matic, 2018 S63 AMG Sedan
2001 S600 Problem started with MAF change

Well, not exactly, but it's a lot worse.

First of all; the car has 58K on the odometer. I just bought it three weeks ago, so I don't know it's service history. And the number on the coil packs begins with 275.

I had been getting an intermitten "Check Engine" light for a little over a week. I had a mechanic read the code and he found P0170 & P0173. He cleared it manually once, but it came back. It also went out by itself a couple of times over the last couple of weeks.

We decided it's a MAF sensor problem, so I bought one off ebay and put it in last night. This morning, when I drove the car it acted very strangely. The check engine light was still on. Then, as I'm driving around a bend in the road the car starts to rock from side to side. It was like I was in some lowrider car show. The car went from side to side, and made it feels like the road had bumps and ruts where it didn't. It calmed down, but I also noticed it wasn't quite as smooth as before, but not bad.

I got on the highway: big mistake!! The car sputtered and misfired as it failed to accelerate properly. It also rocked several times again, but stopped rocking after the first 1/4 mile on the freeway. It felt like it was driving smoothly at highway speeds, but without the type of power the car has.

The check engine light went out after a short time driving. I got prematurely happy. I went to pass another car at highway speeds; the car sputtered again and the check engine light came abck on. Now it has three codes. P0170 & P0173, and one that says Cylinder #7 misfire.

Everything is buttoned up correctly on the car, meaning put back together properly. The two things I know I did incorrectly were to have the key in the ignition while working on the car, as I was listening to the radio. Secondly, I didn't clear the codes after installing the new MAF.

Can anyone offer help or guidance on this. The suspension seems to have corrected itself, and the car handles properly once again. My concern in the code for Cylinder #7 and the lack of power, sputtering, and any other problems that may occur because of this. I'm leaning toward taking it to the dealer tomorrow. I might take it to an independent shop in Auburn, WA. If anyone knows a quick fix for this PLEASE let me know. Or if you can suggest a shop South of Seattle, that would be of great help too. Sorry for the long post.

Last edited by carlosinseattle; 09-20-2007 at 12:41 AM.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
See Jayhawk's response at post #3 in the string at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220...highlight=MAF; and follow the links. You'll find that Check Engine Light (CEL) troubleshooting may be quite complicated, and it takes a knowledgeable tech to do it properly.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
White S63 AMG W/Designo Interior
first off i had the same issue, second is it a BRAND NEW OEM MAF, if not the MAF is probably a rebuilt, wont work properly,and third if you bought an s600 good luck when its time to change 24 spark plugs, id bring it to the dealer and at least pay for diagnosis, so you can know what it really is.i replaced my maf once and it was a rebuilt MAF and i ended having to return it and get one installed from the dealer.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:44 PM

Received 283 Likes on 197 Posts
2001 S600 V12 Sold, 2011 Jaguar XFR Sold, 2017 S550 4-Matic, 2018 S63 AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by S500 Man
first off i had the same issue, second is it a BRAND NEW OEM MAF, if not the MAF is probably a rebuilt, wont work properly,and third if you bought an s600 good luck when its time to change 24 spark plugs, id bring it to the dealer and at least pay for diagnosis, so you can know what it really is.i replaced my maf once and it was a rebuilt MAF and i ended having to return it and get one installed from the dealer.
Ditto: Problem solved. BAD EBAY MAF!!!!!