S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

airmatic problems once again

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 06:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SILVER S500
airmatic problems once again

hey guys, I think I jumped the gun. I replaced the top cap mounts on the stuts. The passenger side is fine but the driver side has a slower leak than before and it still drops to the ground. It just takes 2 hours oppose to 25 minutes. When we changed the cap on the driver side, we noticed that it had been replaced already. What do u think it could be now?
I was also wondering that if I could not fix the problem, than do u think that I could get the compressor which pumps the air into the shock rebuilt to handle the stress, rathar than burning it out?
Need some help guys
Old 10-12-2007, 10:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
White S63 AMG W/Designo Interior
first off your compressor does not need to be replaced yet, if you dont fix your strut then your going to need a strut plus a compressor, i suggest you take it to somebody who knows what they are doing, before you end up spending more cash, and i also recommend buying a extended warranty from like www.AAAutowarranty.com
Old 10-13-2007, 03:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMG E55, Stage 1, Strait Pipe from Primary Cats
Originally Posted by silva s500
hey guys, I think I jumped the gun. I replaced the top cap mounts on the stuts. The passenger side is fine but the driver side has a slower leak than before and it still drops to the ground. It just takes 2 hours oppose to 25 minutes. When we changed the cap on the driver side, we noticed that it had been replaced already. What do u think it could be now?
I was also wondering that if I could not fix the problem, than do u think that I could get the compressor which pumps the air into the shock rebuilt to handle the stress, rathar than burning it out?
Need some help guys
If you replaced each upper front strut tower with the new upper seal kits and still have a leak then you need to find the source... also you should replace the the relay switch (around 35 bucks)
Old 10-13-2007, 09:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
if you still have a leak, it is most likely the lower seal of the strut which cannot be replaced by itself.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:15 AM

2000 S500, Evo VIII MR, R35
Originally Posted by benznodubz
If you replaced each upper front strut tower with the new upper seal kits and still have a leak then you need to find the source... also you should replace the the relay switch (around 35 bucks)
Hi benznodubz,
what is the name of the relay? and how do you know when it's time to replace?

I have been getting some "car too low" warnings recently after driving on freeways. the warning lights comes on after i exit the freeways. coming out the car, i saw the front tires are almost touching the fenders.. I don't hear any leaks and also don't hear the compressor is pumping. however, after turning the steering wheels left and right, the compressor starts pumping again. has anyone experience this kind of problem? thanks in advance.

Last edited by sammy38; 10-19-2007 at 12:21 AM.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMG E55, Stage 1, Strait Pipe from Primary Cats
Originally Posted by sammy38
Hi benznodubz,
what is the name of the relay? and how do you know when it's time to replace?

I have been getting some "car too low" warnings recently after driving on freeways. the warning lights comes on after i exit the freeways. coming out the car, i saw the front tires are almost touching the fenders.. I don't hear any leaks and also don't hear the compressor is pumping. however, after turning the steering wheels left and right, the compressor starts pumping again. has anyone experience this kind of problem? thanks in advance.
It sounds like you have a leak somewhere ?... a bad relay switch can cause the the pump to cycle too often and kill it which is very costly so I recommend changing it out.. (call euro shop not dealer) should be about 45 installed give or take. very easy and well worth it.
Old 10-19-2007, 03:32 AM

2000 S500, Evo VIII MR, R35
Originally Posted by benznodubz
It sounds like you have a leak somewhere ?... a bad relay switch can cause the the pump to cycle too often and kill it which is very costly so I recommend changing it out.. (call euro shop not dealer) should be about 45 installed give or take. very easy and well worth it.
what is the name of the relay switch or do you know the part number? where is euro shop located? thanks much!