S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Radio malfunction .. any idea what causes this?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 07:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 S55
Radio malfunction .. any idea what causes this?

I have an 01' S500 and the sound cuts completely out .. at one point it would play about 2 seconds then totally silent 5 .. over and over. I turned the car off and then on (tried radio off & on, no effect) and it immediately started working better. Then later, same thing. Radio began cutting out completely then came back (with small interruptions of total silence) after restarting car.

Screen is unaffected .. it would seem to be a sofware/non mechanical issue since turning the car off and on fixes it, if only temporary.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Old 11-04-2007, 07:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
There are three possibilities I can think of. The first is the most likely: You may need a firmware update for your COMAND. I had a problem that was similar to what you describe in a '00 S500, and a firmware update fixed the problem. Any number of things may have caused your firmware to become corrupted (even if it is current).

The second is a component failure, possibly the amp. I'd first check the connections to the amp - both fiber optic (orange leads) and copper wire. If anything else is failing together with your audio, I'd check the connections for those too. Loose connections at one component can affect others in the loop.

The third and least likely, going by your description, is a voice mail waiting on your cell phone, if you have one installed. However, this is usually characterized by brief, periodic dropouts of sound for 2 to 5 seconds, then sound returns.

Last edited by Skylaw; 11-04-2007 at 07:37 AM.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 S55
Originally Posted by Skylaw
There are three possibilities I can think of. The first is the most likely: You may need a firmware update for your COMAND. I had a problem that was similar to what you describe in a '00 S500, and a firmware update fixed the problem. Any number of things may have caused your firmware to become corrupted (even if it is current).

The second is a component failure, possibly the amp. I'd first check the connections to the amp - both fiber optic (orange leads) and copper wire. If anything else is failing together with your audio, I'd check the connections for those too. Loose connections at one component can affect others in the loop.

The third and least likely, going by your description, is a voice mail waiting on your cell phone, if you have one installed. However, this is usually characterized by brief, periodic dropouts of sound for 2 to 5 seconds, then sound returns.
Thanks Skylaw, I think you may have hit it on the head with the first possibility. No phone installed (darn), and nothing else fails at all .. add this to the fact that a restart brings it all back makes me think it's not a connection .. if that's bad a restart probably wouldn't fix it.

I did have my firmware updated by a non-dealer mechanic about 3 or 4 months ago, so my guess is the problem lies in their somewhere.

Any idea what an update/fix by a stealership would run?

Problem only getting serious yesterday .. as much as I drive I am realizing just how much I need my sounds !!!!

Thanks again Skylaw!!