S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Is it worth fixing the side mirror light?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it worth fixing the side mirror light?

I took my car to the dealer recently and they told me my right side mirror light is not fixable and they have to replace the whole assembly for more than $400. Seems too much of a hassle to replace a working side mirror just for a little light that is not of much use since my turn signals work perfectly and I can personally live with that, but, I am planning on selling the car soon and that message on the dashboard would devalue my car to potential customers and I was wondering if it is worth it to spend the money fixing that little problem so that my car wont devalue more when I sell it?
Old 11-06-2007, 06:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Originally Posted by locster
I took my car to the dealer recently and they told me my right side mirror light is not fixable and they have to replace the whole assembly for more than $400. Seems too much of a hassle to replace a working side mirror just for a little light that is not of much use since my turn signals work perfectly and I can personally live with that, but, I am planning on selling the car soon and that message on the dashboard would devalue my car to potential customers and I was wondering if it is worth it to spend the money fixing that little problem so that my car wont devalue more when I sell it?
Another dealer trying to get off.. That light is about 59 bucks at the DEALER and is completely replaceable...
Old 11-06-2007, 07:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 Sienna SE, 01 S500, 05 LS430 UL
IF you're talking about the sideblinkers, then yes, waaay under $100 for 2 as mentioned above.

https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w220/115757-2000-2002-s500-side-mirror-led-light-upgrade-before-after-picts.html
Old 11-08-2007, 02:40 AM

The dealer said the right mirror turn signal is not working because of a problem with the whole mirror assembly, not just the turn light/bulb itself, and since this problem is not fixable I have to replace to whole mirror assembly at more than $400. My question is if it is worth spending the cash to fix this problem?
Old 11-08-2007, 08:48 AM
Almost a Member!

2000 S500, 2001 Camry,1996 Honda SUV
The dealer said the right mirror turn signal is not working because of a problem with the whole mirror assembly, not just the turn light/bulb itself, and since this problem is not fixable I have to replace to whole mirror assembly at more than $400. My question is if it is worth spending the cash to fix this problem?
If you cannot move the mirror up/down/left/right, there is a possibility. Otherwise it is complete BS. You can just replace the blinker as above people said.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:59 PM

So I guess the dealer is wrong since the mirror can be moved around perfectly, can anyone else confirm that this is the case?
Old 11-11-2007, 12:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
White S63 AMG W/Designo Interior
yea if you can move the mirror perfectly then just replace the blinker, there just trying to get u, just put the updated mirrors in which can be purchased for less than 100 bucks
Old 11-11-2007, 04:38 PM

The dealer has been right on all my other problems, why would he try to screw me over like that? I dont know who's word I should take?
Old 11-11-2007, 05:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The dealer has been right on all my other problems, why would he try to screw me over like that? I dont know who's word I should take?
Then you should stop posting and get your car fixed at the dealer, and let us know how it worked out.

Beside just giving opinion, no one on this forum will fix your car for you, you have to handle that on your own..

Don't forget to chime back in, I'm interested in knowing how it all works out for you.

Whatever costs $400 to fix might be worth it IMO. An entire mirror assy. is much more than that. If you end up with nothing more than a new housing and light assy, that costs about $225 in parts and takes less than two minutes to swap out, then all we can say is that we told you so....

Good luck...

Last edited by my06clk; 11-11-2007 at 11:32 PM.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

listen were OG's we wont say stuff unless it makes sense, if you dont like our advice then dont bother askin AGAIN...........were trying to help YOU!.....but if you wanna throw aWAY 400 go ahead!
Old 11-12-2007, 09:13 AM
Almost a Member!

2000 S500, 2001 Camry,1996 Honda SUV
Old 11-12-2007, 10:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Your dealer may not be trying to "screw you over." Sometimes auto manufacturers list parts only as assemblies, and allow the dealers only to purchase and replace the assemblies and not individual components.

Audi did that on the driveshaft connecting to the rear drive in a Quattro system. The shaft, called a propeller shaft, has the exact same inner CV joints at each end that were used on the axles. They were removable, and each CV joint cost under $200. Propeller shaft faillure was not common, but when it happened it could immobilize the car. Audi would not allow dealers to replace a CV joint on a propeller shaft, and required the owner to bear the entire $1100 cost of the part - usually waiting about a month to get it, while the car could not be driven.

When I replaced the second one on a car (where another dealer had failed to detect a bad motor mount that was causing premature wear), the service manager brought out the remaining good CV joint, handed it to me, and said if the shaft ever failed again take it to an indy and have him just replace the joint.

Your mirror problem could be similar - I don't know. But I do know that you can follow the advice you have been given repeatedly above. If you search enough, there are even DIY instructions on the forum - perhaps even in the link you were given by 2H S5.

You will find plenty of occasions where forum members advise folks to consult the dealer, or to follow a dealer's advice. Sometimes that's just the best answer. You will also find plenty of MB techs - independents as well as dealer techs - answering here. Some of these folks may give you a better way than your dealer has.

And you'll find folks here who have repeatedly done things successfully that a dealer told them couldn't be done. In those instances, it turns out, we knew more than the dealer - at least, more than the person we spoke to at the dealership. It's not uncommon.

More importantly, perhaps, you'll find owners trying to do things that both the dealer and the forum members agree cannot or should not be done. It's probably best to heed that advice.

Anyway, I agree with prior posters. If you want to rely on your dealer in all circumstances, go ahead. But if that's your choice, why waste our time with questions? Just ask him.

Last edited by Skylaw; 11-12-2007 at 10:39 AM.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:50 PM

I wasn't trying to sound ungrateful, I've received advise from forum members many times and most of the time it has been spot on. $40 isn't much to spend on some new LED lights so I'm going to try doing that and if the lights still dont function then I guess I'll have to spend the $400.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Skylaw
Your dealer may not be trying to "screw you over." Sometimes auto manufacturers list parts only as assemblies, and allow the dealers only to purchase and replace the assemblies and not individual components.

Audi did that on the driveshaft connecting to the rear drive in a Quattro system. The shaft, called a propeller shaft, has the exact same inner CV joints at each end that were used on the axles. They were removable, and each CV joint cost under $200. Propeller shaft faillure was not common, but when it happened it could immobilize the car. Audi would not allow dealers to replace a CV joint on a propeller shaft, and required the owner to bear the entire $1100 cost of the part - usually waiting about a month to get it, while the car could not be driven.

When I replaced the second one on a car (where another dealer had failed to detect a bad motor mount that was causing premature wear), the service manager brought out the remaining good CV joint, handed it to me, and said if the shaft ever failed again take it to an indy and have him just replace the joint.

Your mirror problem could be similar - I don't know. But I do know that you can follow the advice you have been given repeatedly above. If you search enough, there are even DIY instructions on the forum - perhaps even in the link you were given by 2H S5.

You will find plenty of occasions where forum members advise folks to consult the dealer, or to follow a dealer's advice. Sometimes that's just the best answer. You will also find plenty of MB techs - independents as well as dealer techs - answering here. Some of these folks may give you a better way than your dealer has.

And you'll find folks here who have repeatedly done things successfully that a dealer told them couldn't be done. In those instances, it turns out, we knew more than the dealer - at least, more than the person we spoke to at the dealership. It's not uncommon.

More importantly, perhaps, you'll find owners trying to do things that both the dealer and the forum members agree cannot or should not be done. It's probably best to heed that advice.

Anyway, I agree with prior posters. If you want to rely on your dealer in all circumstances, go ahead. But if that's your choice, why waste our time with questions? Just ask him.
You're right. I just called the moron tech again and he told me that it is the bulb that is not functioning but they cannot get the bulb by itself so they have to get the whole assembly. He did, however, tell me that aftermarket LED lights require more voltage and can damage the car.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dude,

YOu have a total moron for a Service Rep. Stop talking to him and go to the parts counter and order a F&*(&ing light already. I just priced one for my car AT THE DEALER and it was $59.00. My housing was cracked so I got them both for $225.

IF you dont want to go the extra step of going to the parts counter, then keep listening to the idiot who obviously does nothing all day but take in broke cars adn feed customers B.S
Old 11-14-2007, 06:45 PM

14-F Sport, 07-CLS63 2003-HUMMER 2004-Suburban 2008-MAX 2005-YZF R1
Originally Posted by my06clk
Dude,

YOu have a total moron for a Service Rep. Stop talking to him and go to the parts counter and order a F&*(&ing light already. I just priced one for my car AT THE DEALER and it was $59.00. My housing was cracked so I got them both for $225.

IF you dont want to go the extra step of going to the parts counter, then keep listening to the idiot who obviously does nothing all day but take in broke cars adn feed customers B.S

LOL
Old 11-14-2007, 06:47 PM

Is he wrong about the aftermarket LED lights? I was thinking that if I'm going to replace the lights I might as well upgrade.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ive had my updated mirror led's for 8 months and still no problem
Old 11-14-2007, 09:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Is he wrong about the aftermarket LED lights? I was thinking that if I'm going to replace the lights I might as well upgrade.
I am officially done with this conversation... Tag to whomever wants it.....

Good luck.