PUMP Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 07:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S500
PUMP Question

2001 - S500

Can anyone tell me if the Power Steering Pump and the ABC Pump are one and the same? Meaning if I have to purchase a power steering pump I can also refer to it as an ABC pump (same part number). I had a moaing noise coming from the front driver side whenever I accelerated on the gas and it produced no warning messages, but now the moaning noise is coming and going. When I hear the noise there's no message, but when the noise disappears I get a warning message "Active Body Control - Please Drive Carefully" there are no leaks, cars has not dropped, but I can't raise the car with the Level Control Button when there is NO noise, but when I hear the noise I can raise the car using the button. I think the pump stops working when there is no noise. My non-mercedes extended warranty company "Great Lakes" covers a P/S Pump, but I dont see anything about a ABC Pump. Are they the same pump???

Thanks
Old 11-13-2007, 09:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Originally Posted by ddidonato
2001 - S500

Can anyone tell me if the Power Steering Pump and the ABC Pump are one and the same? Meaning if I have to purchase a power steering pump I can also refer to it as an ABC pump (same part number). I had a moaing noise coming from the front driver side whenever I accelerated on the gas and it produced no warning messages, but now the moaning noise is coming and going. When I hear the noise there's no message, but when the noise disappears I get a warning message "Active Body Control - Please Drive Carefully" there are no leaks, cars has not dropped, but I can't raise the car with the Level Control Button when there is NO noise, but when I hear the noise I can raise the car using the button. I think the pump stops working when there is no noise. My non-mercedes extended warranty company "Great Lakes" covers a P/S Pump, but I dont see anything about a ABC Pump. Are they the same pump???

Thanks
Absolutely not...

Actually there isn't a pump for ABC, there is the Air -matic pump that control your ABC and it is a pneumatic pump not a hydraulic pump like your P/S.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
Definitely a different pump.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 311 Likes on 229 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by my06clk
Absolutely not...

Actually there isn't a pump for ABC, there is the Air -matic pump that control your ABC and it is a pneumatic pump not a hydraulic pump like your P/S.
Airmatic and ABC are different. You have one or the other. Airmatic is pneumatic. ABC is hydraulic. They both use pumps. Neither are the same as the power steering pump.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:53 PM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
2001 Mercedes CL500 2006 E350 4-matic
Originally Posted by ddidonato
2001 - S500

Thanks

Yes, the Power Steering and ABC Pump are one pump. That's why this pump is so expensive.....Ask any CL owner.