S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

S430 problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S-500
Exclamation S430 problems

Hey guys if have a few problems with my 2000 S430. The first problem is that my navigation system seems to not know where it is half the time. I could calibrate it and it works fine on a short ride but on a long trip it loses its way (long trips in the same state). Also if I have it calibrated correctly and shut the car down and then try and use the nav in the morning it forgets where its at (usually puts me in another state or a lake half the time).

My other problem is with the airmatic system. Occasionally if I am driving on the highway for a length of time I will get a message stating to stop and the car is too low. I hit the air ride button and seems to not do much. I still get the same message. If I stop and go to the store or home for awhile and come back out then its fine again. Only had one time when I came back out from the store and looked like the front end was resting on the wheels. Drove it home and the next day everything was fine again.

If anyone can guide me in the right direction on what may be wrong or what I should do about the problems please reply.

Thanks
Old 11-16-2007, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Originally Posted by nn187
Hey guys if have a few problems with my 2000 S430. The first problem is that my navigation system seems to not know where it is half the time. I could calibrate it and it works fine on a short ride but on a long trip it loses its way (long trips in the same state). Also if I have it calibrated correctly and shut the car down and then try and use the nav in the morning it forgets where its at (usually puts me in another state or a lake half the time).

My other problem is with the airmatic system. Occasionally if I am driving on the highway for a length of time I will get a message stating to stop and the car is too low. I hit the air ride button and seems to not do much. I still get the same message. If I stop and go to the store or home for awhile and come back out then its fine again. Only had one time when I came back out from the store and looked like the front end was resting on the wheels. Drove it home and the next day everything was fine again.

If anyone can guide me in the right direction on what may be wrong or what I should do about the problems please reply.

Thanks
NN187,

it seems like you have valid complaints although no one can say for sure where you should start with finding he causes. I would suggest that you take your car in for a diagnosis. At least then you can get an "expert" opinion on what needs to be fixed, chime back in with the diagnostic results, and the forum members here can give you good direction on how to get that done if you choose to do it yourself.

Otherwise, it is very hard for someone to pinpoint exactly what are the cause of your problems as they are explained in such a general sense.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
nn187,

I responded to this same question on BenzWorld, but for other readers on this forum, here it is again.

The problems you describe with the nav system could come from several causes; but the one on initialization (where it doesn't know where it is when you start) sounds like an antenna problem. An antenna problem could also cause improper input when it updates, as you drive. The insulation on the nav antenna has been known to break and allow water leaks, causing loss of satellite signal.

Not having your tire size properly set could cause increasing errors too, but would have nothing to do with errors before you have begun to move.

Last, your system could require a firmware update.

If it isn't one of those problems, your nav system may need replacement.

You definitely have Airmatic problems that need to be seen to right away. You have either 1) a leak; 2) a bad Airmatic pump; or 3) a bad Airmatic relay. A leak or a faulty relay can burn out your pump. Do not delay having it serviced. In addition to as possible expensive pump replacement or strut replacement, you could have to repair damage to your wheel wells, tires, and wheels.

A faulty relay runs about $35 to $80 or so; strut top mounts and seal kit about $500; pump replacement about $900; entire replacement of 2 front struts (normally replaced in pairs) about $2600; front end damage plus other repairs, about $6000. Prices may vary, but fixing sooner is better. Please do this without delay.

Bottom line is the same. You need to see your dealer or independent Mercedes tech to have the problems diagnosed and fixed.