CD CHANGER - Replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 06:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 SL600, 2001 S500, 1996 SL320
CD CHANGER - Replacement

? on my 01 S500 my CD changer in the trunk has had problems for a long time. I typically get a message in the command saying "NO MAGAZINE", the dealer showed me how to use a coat hanger to get it out and then after replacing the magazine it will work for a while, but I am tired of messing with it. can the unit just be swapped out? Simple exchange or does it require being hooked up to the diagnostic computer.

Would like to save a trip to the dealer if at all possible.
Old 12-03-2007, 01:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
s500
just swapped mine out a few weeks ago. my cd changer had been broken for years and i finally decided to buy a new one. the dealer estimated 650-700 for the changer + installation. I walked out right then. Go on ebay and you can buy a fully functional OEM cd changer for about $250 shipped. Make sure you get the part number and verify with your dealer that the unit will fit on your car. I would recommend getting the same one as your original one, as some of the newer cd changers are smaller and wont bolt on directly to the s class, BUT will still plug and operate properly and perfectly.

Anyways i got mine on ebay and called the dealer to see if it would fit. he said it would but i would need to take it in to get it "programmed" or it wont work. I lied and said I would, but knew you dont need any programming.

Long story short, its all plug and play. theres only two cables you need to plug in and once you get them in, everything will work perfectly. no programming what so ever
Old 12-03-2007, 05:38 PM

2000 S500, Evo VIII MR, R35
how hard was it to swapped out the changer? I tried to do it myself once..but couldn't figuered out how to access the bolts that hold the changer...
do you have any instructions or pics to remove the changer? thanks in advance.

Originally Posted by jdpfresh
just swapped mine out a few weeks ago. my cd changer had been broken for years and i finally decided to buy a new one. the dealer estimated 650-700 for the changer + installation. I walked out right then. Go on ebay and you can buy a fully functional OEM cd changer for about $250 shipped. Make sure you get the part number and verify with your dealer that the unit will fit on your car. I would recommend getting the same one as your original one, as some of the newer cd changers are smaller and wont bolt on directly to the s class, BUT will still plug and operate properly and perfectly.

Anyways i got mine on ebay and called the dealer to see if it would fit. he said it would but i would need to take it in to get it "programmed" or it wont work. I lied and said I would, but knew you dont need any programming.

Long story short, its all plug and play. theres only two cables you need to plug in and once you get them in, everything will work perfectly. no programming what so ever
Old 12-03-2007, 06:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 SL600, 2001 S500, 1996 SL320
I would

I would like to see this too, sometimes things like this can be so simple yet SO DIFFICULT.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Sammy38, StephenK

See the phone bulletins (that's not a mistake) for your cars at http://home.earthlink.net/~phdwebsit...bulletins.htm; most of the bulletins have photos of the audio equipment.

My writeup on installation of a Gateway 500 also has some pics that may be of help - even if you're not installing a GW 500. See post 5 in the string - trunk connections, at https://mbworld.org/forums/audio-electronics/194660-gateway-500-most-o-good-unit-poor-documentation.html. Click on the small pics for a larger one.

Between the phone bulletin (which will be accurate for equipment positioning in your car) and my photos (which indicate where MB hides bolts and screws in the S500) you should be able to take the electronics rack out and remove the CDC.

Last edited by Skylaw; 12-04-2007 at 06:25 AM.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:21 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 SL55, 2000 CL500
The one in my CL500 is dead too.
I got it out and apart no big deal. The magazine was a bit of work.
One of my home grown CD`s ate it inside. But the same issue here.
It works for a bit then goes on the fritz and just is a waste of effort.
Looks to be a cheap JAP player. So I guess I will do the E-bay deal
and see if I can get lucky with one that works. Considering my car is now 8 years old I guess it is not so bad.

As far as getting it out. Its just a bunch of screws to get the trunk plastic out of the way. But once you get to it its just a little bit of cable tie cutting
and out it comes. Very DIY friendly.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:43 PM

s500
sammy and stephen the install is pretty easy but can be a little time consuming depending on how you work. its almost impossible to remove just the cd changer from the harness in the trunk. i removed the inner side paneling on the drivers side in the trunk via bolts on the top and bottom of the trunk. once that it removed, carefully remove each bolt of the entire harness holding all that electronic goodness (can be seen in skylaws pics). once you get that out, all the bolts holding in the cd changer will be clearly visible and can easily be unscrewed. just unscrew them and do the swap. plug everything into the new changer and your done. before putting everything back, i would load it up with some cds and give it a try. if everything works fine, then re-bolt the changer to the harness, and then bolt back the harness onto the car. put back the side paneling and your done.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Originally Posted by jdpfresh

If you are doing a swap, no programming (version coding) would be required. The Fiber Optics Controller (COMAND, H/U, or Audio Gateway) is what requires version coding - not the electronics attached. In a swap, the controller has already been programmed and should recognize the new unit.

If one is making a first-time installation, version coding would be required.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:08 PM

s500
Originally Posted by Skylaw
If you are doing a swap, no programming (version coding) would be required. The Fiber Optics Controller (COMAND, H/U, or Audio Gateway) is what requires version coding - not the electronics attached. In a swap, the controller has already been programmed and should recognize the new unit.

If one is making a first-time installation, version coding would be required.
ummm thats why i stated that you dont need any programming..thanks for the reassurance...
Old 12-05-2007, 12:40 AM

w220 s500
My cd player was also faulty and the stealership advised me to get a new one, the message in my cluster lcd was " no cd changer " or similar - however I switched on the linguatronic and then said " CD ONE " and kaboom it worked and I havent had trouble since