S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Newbie here to say "hi" - not an owner yet

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Dodge Magnum R/T
Newbie here to say "hi" - not an owner yet

My first experience with a Mercedes was my dad's 1981(?) 240D. It was slow as dirt, built like a tank, and a fantastic cruiser. I currently drive a 2005 Dodge Magnum R/T with some fun modifications, but I've been aching to own a MB. Specifically, a W220 S-Class.

I'm not wealthy enough to buy a new one, but a used one - most definitely. I'm amazed at how low the pricing is. I've seen many 2000-2001 models (S500) for sale with 90K miles or less selling for around the 16K range. A few questions:

Buying advice, things to look for?

What model year is the widescreen navigation standard?

Any significant enhancements or changes during the W220's lifespan I should know about?

Are there many options for aftermarket rims? The stock ones are pretty lame. :P

Thanks, I hope to have one soon!

Last edited by nick_danger; 12-20-2007 at 10:40 PM.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'04 S600
Welcome to the forum!
There are a zillion threads on here to answer your questions and the "search" button is your friend.

Biggest piece of advice is to buy a good aftermarket warranty, if available. MB's are notoriously expensive to repair - and you WILL need to make repairs (it's part one of the joys of ownership!!).

Spend some time around here and you'll find your answers. Good luck in your search of finding the MB of your dreams!
Old 12-21-2007, 12:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMG E55, Stage 1, Strait Pipe from Primary Cats
Get an 03 and up.... I have a 2000 S500 and luv it but you get all the lighting,wide navi update etc. on the03 and up...

Skylaw wrote:
You can see the changes from one model year to the next by going to MBUSA, the site map, and looking at the model year overview. Last time I checked, it went back 16 years.

The 2003 Facelift version marked a significant step up in reliability, though some problems persist - Airmatic is probably most notable. The trend to better reliability has continued, with the '07s (a very different design) coming out top in the class in the JD Power initial quality survey this year.

You are correct that the headlights and tail lights changed with the '03 facelift, and it went to the widescreen COMAND display. However, the '03 nav system was still CD based; it went to DVD in '04. The MOST fiber optic bus was first introduced in the W220 for '04. The MHI phone system, which is easiest to upgrade, came out in '05 in the U.S.

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=124317;