S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

hi new guy here and ready to buy a..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 S430
hi new guy here and ready to buy a..

01 s500 Im a truck suv guy but Im thinking about buying this one here.

can you guys please advise me on this car? Is it worth it?
From what I know the whole car has been repainted the factory black when the auto coutre kit was installed, it has a renntech lowering kit I think those are brabus wheels? in a 20x9 and 20x10. 05 front and rear lights, s55 exauast and newer mirrors? The asking price is 23K I believe the miles are 69 or 79k.
Any comments yay or nay anything I should look for? thanks for your help in advance.

Last edited by westcoast5; 01-01-2008 at 03:54 PM.
Old 01-01-2008, 08:48 PM

2000 S430
anyone?
Old 01-01-2008, 08:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Whatever there's gas in...
I'd go for it, looks like a good car for the price/mileage...although those aren't the updated mirrors.

Just have a mechanic look at it before you purchase to give you the green light...and good luck, they're great cars!
Old 01-02-2008, 01:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMG E55, Stage 1, Strait Pipe from Primary Cats
I like it.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:48 AM

2000 S430
thanks I guess it appears that the front emblem has been shaved? on the hood? I would like to do a few more things to it, it seems after cruiseing around this cool forum the only real problem is the airride and instrument panel? would this model have the self closeing doors?
Old 01-02-2008, 02:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Welcome btw.

Yes, it should have the doors that close if not closed all the way.

what's wrong with the suspension and instrument cluster?
Old 01-02-2008, 02:44 AM

2000 S430
Originally Posted by S-Clusiv
Welcome btw.

what's wrong with the suspension and instrument cluster?
Thanks!, no theirs nothing wrong with that car but I was searching to see what types of common problems these models have had.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
Originally Posted by westcoast5
Thanks!, no theirs nothing wrong with that car but I was searching to see what types of common problems these models have had.
My experience with MB/AMG cars as far as reliability is concerned is that each car is an individual. My '03 SL55 has been pretty much bullet proof, and it has been tracked and enjoyed, not just babied....although it does get allot of love!

I would get the VIN and check to see the history at a Merc store.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:05 AM

2000 S430
well I took a look at it today its at a San Jose dealership, they told me the reason the check engine light was on because the car was too low? and that when you go below a certian point it does that? I also noticed that the info center also said tail light out and he said that will be fixed and its due to the 05 tails? The car is on consignment and the owner took out the renntech module and used washers to drop the car that low. He also said the rear wheels has spacers to make the rim look proper on the car. Teh rear tires are 255/35/20 and the looked streched on the rim. The rims are brabus but I dont know if its 20x10 or 20x9.5? Other than that the car actually rode very well Im not sure how fast they are supposed to be but it felt like it pulled to 80 no problem. Everything else in the car worked just fine. The also told me if I was intresed in that car they also have another one thats black on black 01s500 with black brabus wheels with 160k miles for 14k out the door.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Both answers sound like b.s. ? If there is an actual bulb burnt then it should say that.. The too low function can be a problem with the airmatic relay or leak in struts/system or pump.. I am lowered with washers and have no errors period and I am very low...Because yours has a module in it I am not sure.. There are plenty of guys on the board who use the renntech with no errors ? you can call renntech ? I would want that too low error diagnosed before a laid out any $... Once that checks out, I would be all over that hotness
Old 01-03-2008, 02:52 AM

2000 S430
well he said the owner took the module out because he wanted to go lower than the module woudl allow? He has it but it is not currently in the car. to me the struts did not leak and actually worked very well. and all the lights worked but for some reason the tail light indicator said it was out? hmm.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Originally Posted by benznodubz
Both answers sound like b.s. ? If there is an actual bulb burnt then it should say that.. The too low function can be a problem with the airmatic relay or leak in struts/system or pump.....
AMEN..

Isn't it amazing to hear so much B.S. coming from dealers?? WOW.. C/E light because its too low... that's a first...

some of those SR's should be fired for being sooo stupid. I am willing to bet money they didn't even bother looking at STAR to see what the real problem was..
Old 01-03-2008, 10:10 PM

2000 S430
well Im still waiting to see what they have done to fix the problem....
Old 01-04-2008, 02:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
CLS 63 S AMG , s500,clk550
make sure they give u a warranty on it as well. if they dont... screw it.. dont buy it..chances are they trying to screw u over.. these cars u want to buy them when there not modded at all or messed with the electrical components. because if anything goes wrong u wont know how to fix it or work with any of the mods.. if ur looking at an S class i think you should buy an S that is stock completely and do the addons, the modifications by yourself...
Old 01-05-2008, 02:38 AM

2000 S430
Originally Posted by fusion2007
make sure they give u a warranty on it as well. if they dont... screw it.. dont buy it..chances are they trying to screw u over.. these cars u want to buy them when there not modded at all or messed with the electrical components. because if anything goes wrong u wont know how to fix it or work with any of the mods.. if ur looking at an S class i think you should buy an S that is stock completely and do the addons, the modifications by yourself...
I agree with you on this one the more I talk to them the more Im thinking about finding a clean unmolested 500 to do the same stuff too. It turns out that the check lights is because the headlight and taillight were installed without takeing the car to the dealer to have the cpu reprogramed for the new lights. The check engine light is from the mass air meter sensor which I am told a new one is on the way. I did not talk to the same crappy sales guy, and they also told me the car is lowered via washers but that will be taken out and a new renntech module will be installed in its place. My question now is does that lowering module fully adjustable? or does it do the same thing as the washers?
Old 01-05-2008, 05:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
westcoast5,

The CEL can be triggered by about 6 sources, including the Mass Air Flow sensor - it takes some sophistication by the technician to properly troubleshoot it. See http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220...-car-fire.html.

If you decide to take this car, be sure the problem is fixed for good, or get written assurances that the seller will stand for any other repairs, parts & labor, to be sure it is fixed properly.

I have never understood this lowering stuff in the first place. Those who have done it with the RennTech kit or by settings with STAR diagnostics seem to have relatively few problems. I just wonder what kind of problems the owner was trying to solve with the tire situation you mentioned. If they are "stretched" it could break the bead material and cause a catastrophic blowout.

The headlight may have required some reprogramming (they can blink on and off under some circumstances with some "upgrade kits" if this isn't done). But the taillight upgrades are plug 'n play.

You're getting such a load of crap from this dealer, I'd bypass this car and get a clean one, as you said.

Last edited by Skylaw; 01-05-2008 at 05:15 PM.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by my06clk
AMEN..

Isn't it amazing to hear so much B.S. coming from dealers?? WOW.. C/E light because its too low... that's a first...

some of those SR's should be fired for being sooo stupid. I am willing to bet money they didn't even bother looking at STAR to see what the real problem was..
A while back, a member on the board had a problem with the airmatic suspension, and I've actually seen a warning message displayed in the center console stating that the car was "too low", but never seen or heard about the check engine light coming on for it
Old 01-05-2008, 11:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by Skylaw
westcoast5,

The CEL can be triggered by about 6 sources, including the Mass Air Flow sensor - it takes some sophistication by the technician to properly troubleshoot it. See http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220...-car-fire.html.

If you decide to take this car, be sure the problem is fixed for good, or get written assurances that the seller will stand for any other repairs, parts & labor, to be sure it is fixed properly.

I have never understood this lowering stuff in the first place. Those who have done it with the RennTech kit or by settings with STAR diagnostics seem to have relatively few problems. I just wonder what kind of problems the owner was trying to solve with the tire situation you mentioned. If they are "stretched" it could break the bead material and cause a catastrophic blowout.

The headlight may have required some reprogramming (they can blink on and off under some circumstances with some "upgrade kits" if this isn't done). But the taillight upgrades are plug 'n play.

You're getting such a load of crap from this dealer, I'd bypass this car and get a clean one, as you said.
I agree........... countless members are using the RennTech ELM as well as many others and haven't heard of such problems. Make sure they fix it before you decide to get the car. And warranty is a definite must.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:43 AM

2000 S430
Well guys I do thank you much for your advice, I did pass on that car actually on the way home today I stoped at another dealer to look at another car and Ive decided to buy after the usual haggling with the dealer.The price seemed to be a very good deal.
I now am the proud owner of a 2000 s430 with 60k miles on it single owner black on black its super clean It came with 20" lowenharts it apperars to be 2 or 3 piece wheels, Im not sure on the name or width of them (anyone know?) with 245/35/20 tires. It has the 03+ lights but They are not HID? I was little disapointed but Im sure there a remedy for that? Im a bit confused the 500 has an option to raise or lower the car but on the 430 there is just one led light to raise only? Well here are some pics what do you fellas think?

Old 01-06-2008, 07:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It's a great looking car. You'll have far fewer problems than with the first one.

My bet is the headlights on your car are HID, but not Bi-Xenon. Swapping out the older lights (which were HID) for newer style HID was pretty simple, but moving to Bi-Xenon was what caused some problems. It can be done, but it's not just plug 'n play.

The HID lights use Xenon low beams and Halogen high beams anyway; and since most of the time you will drive on low beams, it makes no practical difference.

Contributor Benznodubz has given some good rundowns on bulbs and color temperatures at https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ighlight=bulbs, https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ighlight=bulbs, and https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ighlight=bulbs.

The prior owner seems to have even updated the mirror turn signals to the newer style.

The standard S500 and S430 only have a "raise" feature - not separate "raise" and "lower" features (except to cancel raising). The raise feature is for use on rough roads or when using chains. It is also useful to avoid tearing your bumper off on those awful parking spot curbs or stops. If you raise the car, it will automatically lower again above a certain speed. You owner's manual discusses this.

Perhaps what you saw was left over from the RennTech modification. The other two-light button you may be recalling is for firmness of the ride. Your car has it. I always liked to keep my '00 on the medium setting unless in gusty crosswinds, when full firm gave better handling.

If you have a warranty option, you should take it. These cars are great, but when they break they are expensive to repair. Try to get a warranty that covers Airmatic (it may not do it by name, but should mention suspension components, struts, pumps, etc) and if possible, electronics.

Last edited by Skylaw; 01-06-2008 at 09:20 AM.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Congratulations! Time to put your OWN spin on it!
Old 01-07-2008, 01:58 AM

2000 S430
thanks for the tip skylaw! to me it appears that there is no Xenon bulb but a regular bulb? maybe an H7? Im not sure. So if I was to go to xenon or hid? like a 6000k or 8000k? What would I need to do? The renntech module is that the cheapest money wise? What exactly does it do? I am thinking about washers in another thread I have read, as a temp soloution till I get a module. Someone told me that the rims are a Lowenhart LD5 but those are a old style rim? The warranty I was offered is a bumper to bumper 3 yr 36,000 mile warranty for the car cost is 2400 Is this a good deal?
S-clusiv Im def gonna do that only where to begin? :lol:
Old 01-07-2008, 02:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Congrats on your ride

The S430 generally does not have hid lamps.. The low beam is an H7 halogen... I would recommend some Sylvania Silverstar H7's, they are the best looking bulbs that actually have some decent light output still. They are a 4000k kelvin which is a nice bright white light (very hid looking) rather then the yellowish stockers. This will be a cheap easy upgrade that will hold you over t''ll you decide if you want to go real hid upgrade. I think you will be very very happy with them( I run silverstars in my suburban ) Do not buy any other dark blue coated bulbs because they have crap for light output.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:42 AM

2000 S430
I think there is already a silverstar in there I run them on my denali and the light output is identical to that so Im def gonna be looking to go with the real ones do you have any suggestions as to which is the best to install?
is this a good hid kit?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/REAL-...em140194711630

Last edited by westcoast5; 01-07-2008 at 03:02 AM.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

westcoast5,

You're talking to the right guy (Benznodubz) on both the headlight and the lowering issues.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: hi new guy here and ready to buy a..