Seat Trim Replace DIY- Fuzion, Skylaw?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 08:08 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S500
Noooooooo!!!!!

Just wonderful. I was just surfing these threads last night and happened to come across this one. I read all of the comments about these POS plastic pieces breaking and I thought mine weren't broken because I had never noticed it.
This morning I realized there is a big hole in the plastic of my seat also. The good news is that I ride with my seat so far back that the missing piece is blocked by the door pillar. The bad news is I will still have to replace it and the one on the floor where the seat slides forward and back.
I will probably opt for the wood pieces above for the seats and will have to get the other part form MB.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:35 PM

S500
ok so I know its an old thread just want to put my experience with this...I bought the trim off ebay for like $40 shipped I think, had it forever well today I got off work early and figured I would give it ago, just studied the new piece for a while, figured out my plan of action and this is what I came up with...

NO joke took me no more than 20 minutes to do:

tools I used:

-breaker bar (probably a good sized ratchet would work, not the oompa loompa small ones) for the seat belt anchor bolt, this thing can be on there pretty tight it seems like

-I dont even know what to call this but a star thing pretty sure size t-45

-phillips screw driver, average sized one

-and of course the new trim piece lol

1. I took the cover off the seat belt anchor bolt (found $2.37 in change here so take that off the total cost ) This just popped right off, i had a flat head handy just in case but it came right off.

2. removed bolt using a breaker bar, and a star thing, I think it said t-45 on it(dont know how I had this or why but I did in my tool box this and a tiny one haha fit like a glove, its a pretty large one so you will need this)

3. removed the small phillips screw located in the rear of the trim theres a tiny hole just stick a phillips screw driver in there its gotta be kinda long and an average sized one.

4. remove trim piece (since mine was already pretty beat up I just pulled and it came right off)

5. I took this time and cleaned all the hard to reach areas around the trim.

6. worked the trim back on (basically I just alligned the hole for the anchor bolt, and then just kinda worked the piece all around)

7. put seat belt anchor bolt back on, then tightened the screw located in the rear (the new trim already came with one in it so I just had to screw it in

PREEETTY PREttty easy stuff

Last edited by donjuan45i; 09-10-2008 at 09:42 PM.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by donjuan45i
ok so I know its an old thread just want to put my experience with this...I bought the trim off ebay for like $40 shipped I think, had it forever well today I got off work early and figured I would give it ago, just studied the new piece for a while, figured out my plan of action and this is what I came up with...

NO joke took me no more than 20 minutes to do:

tools I used:

-breaker bar (probably a good sized ratchet would work, not the oompa loompa small ones) for the seat belt anchor bolt, this thing can be on there pretty tight it seems like

-I dont even know what to call this but a star thing pretty sure size t-45

-phillips screw driver, average sized one

-and of course the new trim piece lol

1. I took the cover off the seat belt anchor bolt (found $2.37 in change here so take that off the total cost ) This just popped right off, i had a flat head handy just in case but it came right off.

2. removed bolt using a breaker bar, and a star thing, I think it said t-45 on it(dont know how I had this or why but I did in my tool box this and a tiny one haha fit like a glove, its a pretty large one so you will need this)

3. removed the small phillips screw located in the rear of the trim theres a tiny hole just stick a phillips screw driver in there its gotta be kinda long and an average sized one.

4. remove trim piece (since mine was already pretty beat up I just pulled and it came right off)

5. I took this time and cleaned all the hard to reach areas around the trim.

6. worked the trim back on (basically I just alligned the hole for the anchor bolt, and then just kinda worked the piece all around)

7. put seat belt anchor bolt back on, then tightened the screw located in the rear (the new trim already came with one in it so I just had to screw it in

PREEETTY PREttty easy stuff
Nice Write Up, Thanks
Old 03-04-2009, 08:34 AM

s500
Originally Posted by 2H S5
I had the same problem too.
Couldn't believe how flimsy and cheap they were and I'm only 145 lb.

I forgot how much they were for the replacements but they were pretty outrageous (over $100???). If they broke before, what's the point of replacing the same cheap pos again?

I bought a wood cover from this seller (not me nor do I know this person).
I was surprised the wood matched too and much cheaper than oem
It came with 2 piece, don't be surprised that it looks like it won't fit, but it did!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Merce...em320207294271

Any idea where I can get the wood cover for the cracked plastic seat trim base? The e-bay listing has expired and my searches have 0 results.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:11 AM

Received 197 Likes on 130 Posts
2001 S600 V12 Sold, 2011 Jaguar XFR Sold, 2017 S550 4-Matic, 2018 S63 AMG Sedan
I'm glad someone revived this post. I thought I was the only person with the broken plastic seat problem. I don't see any seat parts on ebay. Can anyone tell me where to get the original plastic pieces. I relly don't want to go to the local dealership.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
If you don't like the dealership, try a breaker yard such as Potomac German Auto, one of the largest MB breakers in the country. http://mbpartsonline.com/
Old 10-03-2009, 05:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
ok, does anybody else get creaking from this plastic? I've got the car basically silent, but this trim creaks when my weight shifts on the seat around town.

For those who have removed it, is there a better way to secure it, or some way to put foam on it to quiet this stuff down.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:50 PM

2000 Mercedes Benz S500 Designo
I glued mine back together with plastic weld epoxy because who the hell knows where I could find the piece with the designo light brown leather haha, other sides starting to do it as well as the piece that covers the seat belt bolt. This german plastic.... not holding up so well to texas sun
Old 10-05-2009, 06:16 PM

2000 S500
Originally Posted by sessayan
My seat has the same issue. I thought I was just too fat for the car and figured I should lose weight. Totally pisses me off now that I hear everyone else has the issue. Any other solutions out there other than to replace plastic parts that I will have to replace again?
When I replaced this plastic piece I put some soft flexible foam under it (in-between the two pieces that slide in/out). It was from some pipe insulation. It had some adhesive strip all ready on it. Just cut a piece to give top piece some support. Did this over 2 years ago, still holding up. I weigh 185lbs and have done the kneel while vacuuming think and no cracks.

I also like the cover up piece that looks like wood.

Good Luck All!
Old 10-06-2009, 09:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by cameraman123
I glued mine back together with plastic weld epoxy because who the hell knows where I could find the piece with the designo light brown leather haha, other sides starting to do it as well as the piece that covers the seat belt bolt. This german plastic.... not holding up so well to texas sun
I broke mine by kneeling on the seat. My '00 already had it broken when I bought it; replaced the piece, then kneeled on the outside seat bolster while installing some electronics, and there it went! MB is sure proud of that plastic part, for what they charged for a new one. And they're just brittle, sun or not.

Last edited by Skylaw; 10-06-2009 at 04:00 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:35 AM

mercedes
same thing happened to me twice! once during the warranty and the dealer replaced it. I even done know when the crack happened. I guess it occurred when people washed the car. MB should do a recall on this! or we can have class action.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I know how you feel. They won't do a recall, it's not safety related. A service campaign or extended warranty, perhaps.

A class action will get you 45 cents on your $45 part, and take 5 years to do it. It could possibly make the attorney handling it a fair sum - but that's about it.
Old 10-07-2009, 04:57 PM

W220 S500
Bought one and had my mechanic do it.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:05 PM

S500
mines held up pretty good so far. but lately I havent driven it and I think mine creaks a little too.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 478 Likes on 424 Posts
Mercedes
does anyone still sell the stickon wood overlay??
Old 01-21-2010, 08:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 Sienna SE, 01 S500, 05 LS430 UL
faucettrun-I've been away from mbworld for awhile.

Don't bother buying b/c aparrantly, it cracked again
Old 01-22-2010, 10:34 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mercedes S55 AMG
I have this same problem too, 2001 S55 AMG. The right panel of the trim is cracked, and that little storage compartment right below the seat is hard to open because it seems to have gone back a bit, thus the opening is right under the bottom of the seat top.

I'm thinking of trying to fix it myself, is there any danger in badly adjusting the seat belt? That's the only thing I worry about..
Old 01-24-2010, 04:13 PM

Mercedes S55 AMG
I'm trying to do this myself too: I got the tools at home depot.

So far, I got a ratchet with a T-45 sized bit. It worked perfectly, and the bolt actually was not hard at all to take out, barely took any force.

That's as far as I've gotten, as I don't have the new plastic pieces yet, so I did not take it apart further.

Question: The first aid box has a screw that seems to connect to the part that cracks, #10 in the diagram, where the pulse/dynamic seat thing is located. How do you access that screw? The first aid box seems to block any entrance to it, so do I need to take out the first aid box?
Old 01-24-2010, 04:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
CLS 63 S AMG , s500,clk550
you dnt need to take out the dynamic seat button panal. if i remember correctly.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:53 PM

Mercedes S55 AMG
I ordered up the parts, and after I get them and replace them, I'll write up a bit on how it was to change it out.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:11 PM

Mercedes S55 AMG
Hey, I wrote a little DIY, hopefully it can help people out!

https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...placement.html
Old 02-02-2010, 10:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by rondocap
Hey, I wrote a little DIY, hopefully it can help people out!

https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...placement.html
And a nice DIY it is, too! Thanks, rondocap.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:46 PM

I have replaced mine twice...I want the wood repair kit off ebay...too bad I cant find it. Thanks for the DIY I might have my hubby replace mine once it is out the shop getting struts replaced...ouch
Old 02-03-2010, 08:07 AM

S500
I have just purchased this ebay wood trim from a guy in New York.

He seems to be able to match any colour, although I was sent Walnut when I specified Chestnut. This is now on it's way.

The item is not showing anymore for some reason, but he orders it from a company who make them to order.

If interested, drop me a private message and I shall give you his ebay Id.

Admin - Is this ok to do?

Thanks

Kevin
Old 08-27-2011, 12:53 AM

MBZ 2001 S430
Seat trim for 2001 S430

My # 10 part on drivers side cracked. #10 part is the piece where the lumbar support dial is located. Looking at it head on, there is a screw hole near top right of the part. This screws into a flange (?) that is attached to the frame of the seat. The metal flange broke -- thus no real support for the #10 trim piece. Last time flange broke I had to have one specially tooled for me (had to take the flange from passenger's side so we could match it). Anybody know where I can get JUST the flange? It screws into the frame with two tiny star shape screws (which I have). Hope I am describing it correctly. Basically it supports the #10 trim piece. Body shop said I would have to buy the seat frame to get this tiny part as it is not a separate item. Help? (BTW, I have permantently shut the first aid boxes -- took them out completly -- and made the operation of the cover permanently inoperable. Those first aid boxes are a nuisance). Thanks. Peter F

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Seat Trim Replace DIY- Fuzion, Skylaw?