S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Replacing front headlight bulbs?????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 clk 430 Cab
Replacing front headlight bulbs?????

Ok so I know this topic has been covered and I have searched for it but I am still a little confused on how to change the front headlight low beam bulbs. So I open the hood, take the two bolts off on top and it should come right out? ive looked at some of the DIY but it doesnt go too much into detail about it. What about the back cover? If anyone can provide me with more information I would greatly appreciate it. Sorry for the over done subject, its just I am more of a visual learner then a simple description. thanks..
Old 02-08-2008, 07:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMG E55, Stage 1, Strait Pipe from Primary Cats
Originally Posted by eykeykeyk
Ok so I know this topic has been covered and I have searched for it but I am still a little confused on how to change the front headlight low beam bulbs. So I open the hood, take the two bolts off on top and it should come right out? ive looked at some of the DIY but it doesnt go too much into detail about it. What about the back cover? If anyone can provide me with more information I would greatly appreciate it. Sorry for the over done subject, its just I am more of a visual learner then a simple description. thanks..
You do not need to remove the lamps, just remove the plastic cap behind the bulb you want to replace, once you remove the cap, aim some light in there, squeeze the wire clasp and flip up and remove(for hid xenon). Now if you have a S430 ? then you have halogen and the process to remove is similar.
Old 02-09-2008, 06:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Flying Spur
Originally Posted by benznodubz
You do not need to remove the lamps, just remove the plastic cap behind the bulb you want to replace, once you remove the cap, aim some light in there, squeeze the wire clasp and flip up and remove(for hid xenon). Now if you have a S430 ? then you have halogen and the process to remove is similar.
off topic but...i always thought your name was benz on dubs...i think im losing it...anyways back on topic...i bought my 03+ headlamp from www.procarparts.com ...they came with the xenon bulbs but i was just wondering if you knew what bulb came with them...i really want to change out the stock temp for a higher temp like 6 or 8000k.....thanks
Old 02-09-2008, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You will have a D1s or a D2s style bulb for low beam hid. I had a D2S when I bought mine there but I seen someone had a D1S bought from there too. The D2S has a square ignitor that is seperate from the bulb and connects by pushing on to the back of the bulb once is in place and you twist the ignitor box to lock on the bulb. you reverse this process when trying to remove. So, if you can twist the little metal box and pull it off with out the bulb then you will know what you have.. The D2S is what MB, BMW use for there OEM hid. D1s is fine too but not as much aftermarket bulbs as D2S. I would recommend 6000k phillips ultinons if you like color. Anything more then that looks rice and has no light out put. You have 4300K right now which is OEM and most light output.
Attached Thumbnails Replacing front headlight bulbs?????-d1-d2-bulb.gif  
Old 02-09-2008, 07:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Flying Spur
Originally Posted by benznodubz
You will have a D1s or a D2s style bulb for low beam hid. I had a D2S when I bought mine there but I seen someone had a D1S bought from there too. The D2S has a square ignitor that is seperate from the bulb and connects by pushing on to the back of the bulb once is in place and you twist the ignitor box to lock on the bulb. you reverse this process when trying to remove. So, if you can twist the little metal box and pull it off with out the bulb then you will know what you have.. The D2S is what MB, BMW use for there OEM hid. D1s is fine too but not as much aftermarket bulbs as D2S. I would recommend 6000k phillips ultinons if you like color. Anything more then that looks rice and has no light out put. You have 4300K right now which is OEM and most light output.
thanks benz..i just checked the car and the back of the igniter says D1S...so im guessing these are hard to come by?...i really want 6000k i dont like the 4300
Old 02-09-2008, 08:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

These are real nice but pricey

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/07-BM...2em118Q2el1247

Here are a bunch, I cannot vouch for some off brands...try to get phillips,Osram,GE if possible.. Phillips is king though.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...fsop=32&fsoo=2

I bought my bulbs here, These guys are trustworthy.

http://www.suvlights.com/index.php?c...fcbf83747372e0