S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Strut Air Leak Repair "Q"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 SL65
Strut Air Leak Repair "Q"

My dealer is asking for $700 for the repair kit including labor to fix the air leak on the struts. Just seeing if this price is about right.

Thanks!
Old 02-19-2008, 12:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LIONHEAD
My dealer is asking for $700 for the repair kit including labor to fix the air leak on the struts. Just seeing if this price is about right.

Thanks!
Seems slightly high, $500.00 to $600.00 would be more in line. Repair Kit is right around $145.00 - 2.5 hrs to perform work. There is a special tool required that any dealer or MB Indie will have as these things fail like clock work.

By the way, nice Jag.

Last edited by rccmerc; 02-19-2008 at 12:26 PM.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:06 PM

'06 SL65
Originally Posted by rccmerc
Seems slightly high, $500.00 to $600.00 would be more in line. Repair Kit is right around $145.00 - 2.5 hrs to perform work. There is a special tool required that any dealer or MB Indie will have as these things fail like clock work.

By the way, nice Jag.
Thanks for the info rccmerc. I'm going to see if they can lower the price somewhat. The extended warranty (not Mercedes) is covering the airmatic pump but not the air leak on the struts. Just curious when do they usually go out? My car ('02 S500) has 62K miles. Thanks!
Old 02-19-2008, 01:22 PM

Thanks for the info rccmerc. I'm going to see if they can lower the price somewhat. The extended warranty (not Mercedes) is covering the airmatic pump but not the air leak on the struts. Just curious when do they usually go out? My car ('02 S500) has 62K miles. Thanks!
I to have a 2002 S500, mine failed at 45,000 miles, car has 50,000 on it now. Once you see the hairline cracks in the top of the strut, it is over. These POS can fail pretty much at any time, and rest assured they will fail. The good news is the repair kit does seem to remedy the problem effectively.
Attached Thumbnails Strut Air Leak Repair "Q"-airmatic.jpg  
Old 02-19-2008, 01:56 PM

'06 SL65
Wow...I see the problem. Thanks for the pic. I decided to call 3 other dealers in my area and they are quoting $700-$780 (both front struts repair). Probably this is the going rate in my area. I'm wondering if the repair kit will eventually fail again too. Also curious if this problem is just on W220 or across the board on all MB models with air suspensions.

Thanks again rccmerc.

Last edited by LIONHEAD; 02-19-2008 at 01:58 PM.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:45 PM

Wow...I see the problem. Thanks for the pic. I decided to call 3 other dealers in my area and they are quoting $700-$780 (both front struts repair). Probably this is the going rate in my area. I'm wondering if the repair kit will eventually fail again too. Also curious if this problem is just on W220 or across the board on all MB models with air suspensions.

Thanks again rccmerc.
Don't Forget the Service Advisors are paid commission, and most MB Techs can do this repair in they're sleep, so plenty of profit to go around. So It might be worth it to give them the - aww come on, its the kit and 2 1/2 hours labor, awww come on

As for the repair kit, it does indeed seem be a long term fix. But, there is plenty of other things to fail

All Airmatic type suspensions seem to be troublesome - read high maintenance. Also the W220 is one heavy ****.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:12 PM
Banned

02 S500 Sport

Thanks!
Payed $550 + Tax.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:05 PM

'06 SL65
Thanks guys. I ended up paying $600 + tax. Going to pick up the car tomorrow morning.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:22 PM

'06 SL65
After a month the air compressor noise came back this week. Dropped it off at the dealer yesterday and they said the new air pump is malfunctioning. Must have been a bad air pump from the get go. At least no money out of my pocket this time.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:24 PM
Banned

S
Hmm never had problems with my pump
Old 05-27-2008, 05:30 PM
ksc

S500
my Airmatic is working perfectly at this time, but i just noticed hairline cracks so i'll also ask for the repair kit.

i'm going to the dealer so i wanted to ask if anyone has suggestions as to what else needs to be or can be done, as far as Airmatic related components.

can a visual inspection of the pump and relay forecast any problems?

thanks for any advice.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:11 PM

S430 Sold :(
Originally Posted by ksc
my Airmatic is working perfectly at this time, but i just noticed hairline cracks so i'll also ask for the repair kit.

i'm going to the dealer so i wanted to ask if anyone has suggestions as to what else needs to be or can be done, as far as Airmatic related components.

can a visual inspection of the pump and relay forecast any problems?

thanks for any advice.

the relay is just a relay when it goes it just does.. its $45 bucks I would replace it anyways as save yourself the $700 fix if blows and your pump keep going until it blows out. the pump is hard to tell if it is going out they just tend to go out from one day to the next.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:02 AM
ksc

S500
thanks jfendis.

i also want to ask you guys what you think of this so here's the story:

i drop the car off and i tell the SA i need the repair kit. he calls me later and says 'the tech says you don't need it'. he then tells me it's because my car or the struts weren't of the problem batch or something like that and something about a "Q". i couldn't understand what he was saying, really.

i told him i would get back to him. i call up the service manager and explained what was going on, my understanding of Airmatic and why i need the repair kit. he said i was absolutely correct (which means you guys in the W220 forum are absolutely correct, naturally!). he understood my preventative approach, but did not necessarily endorse it.

i saw this as, fix a small problem before it becomes huge while the service dept. saw this as, 'yeah, you got cracks but leave it alone because everything is working'. granted, the cracks are small but they're noticeable. i'm assuming the initial reponse from the tech was because of this and the fact that Airmatic was still working.

in my mind, i feel better knowing this problem has been remedied but i find their approach a little off-putting... that being, let it fail, then fix it. am i missing something?

completely OT: i was in a W221 in the showroom and sitting in the back (front too) is like sitting on a rock-hard park bench! a nice leather-covered one, but no cushioning or thigh or butt support! totally flat! same with the E and GL! nothing like W220 seats.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
ksc,

I guess your dealer would rather permit your strut seals to fail so that it causes wheel well damage (if it happens while driving) or burns out your pump again. More $$ for him.

You did the wisest thing. My tech advised me to replace the seals on my '00 a few years ago, pointing out the cracks - because the cost was far less. The tech was honest.

I posted that experience on the forum several years ago, and still recommend inspection of the upper strut seals for cracks, and replacement when they show. I inspect my '05, which I plan to keep for a while - and will replace the seals as soon as I see cracks - which, undoubtedly, will happen.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:49 PM

CLS55, E55 AMG
anyone know about why the front end of my car would drop after a few hours sitting parked. I have a 03 E55, and when I leave it rasied park the front end will slowly drop, like an air leak. Anynoe know what part failure would cause this? the front drops down evenly both left and right.