found some rotors..need opinions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 02:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Flying Spur
found some rotors..need opinions

after doing some searching ive come across the two that are most commonly mentioned on this board( if anyone else has any others i'd appreciate it)
they are for my 2001 s600

1. R1 Concepts-
Front-
http://store.r1concepts.com/Items/It...0-%20120.35049

$212.50

Rear-
http://store.r1concepts.com/Items/It...0-%20120.35050

$200.50

Total R1-$413.00

2.Zimmermann-
Front-
http://catalog.worldpac.com/buymb/02...uymbparts.com/

$135

Rear-

http://catalog.worldpac.com/buymb/02...uymbparts.com/

$95

Total Zimmermann-$230

Opinions?

Thanks
Old 02-20-2008, 06:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W220 M113K
i like the R-1s id give them a shot if anything return them and go with some OE zimmermans
Old 02-20-2008, 10:42 AM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
07 GL450, 91 NSX, 12 Prius
stick with either OE or Zimmermann.

almost 2x the cost for slots. It will not help you stop faster.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 M113K
Originally Posted by fkong777
stick with either OE or Zimmermann.

almost 2x the cost for slots. It will not help you stop faster.
if that was the case why does AMG use them and they are OE on the front of our S-Classes

Cross-drilled: Holes are drilled through the rotor to dissipate heat. Cross drilling is very effective for heat dissipation. It will prolong the life to the pads, rotors and improve stopping power. It also shed off water under-wet driving condition.

Slotted: A line cut on the surface of the rotors to dissipate heat and increase bite. Slotted rotors will bring up the operation temperature of the braking components much faster over cross-drilled, yet it dissipates the heat at the same time. The added bite will reduce the stopping distance. Slotted rotor does not scarify the structural integrity of the rotor.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Originally Posted by 02S430
if that was the case why does AMG use them and they are OE on the front of our S-Classes

Cross-drilled: Holes are drilled through the rotor to dissipate heat. Cross drilling is very effective for heat dissipation. It will prolong the life to the pads, rotors and improve stopping power. It also shed off water under-wet driving condition.

Slotted: A line cut on the surface of the rotors to dissipate heat and increase bite. Slotted rotors will bring up the operation temperature of the braking components much faster over cross-drilled, yet it dissipates the heat at the same time. The added bite will reduce the stopping distance. Slotted rotor does not scarify the structural integrity of the rotor.
I agree with Flong but I think you both are saying the same thing.

THe zimmerman rotors are drilled just like the OEM... They are better priced than the OEM by about 25 bucks. per rotor. the rear prices are about half. AND thay are not drilled either OEM or Zimmerman.

Point. Just because AMG uses them Does't mean they stop better.. There is more to AMG brakes than just rotors. They are much larger than ours and they have much larger calipers than ours.. All of this combined is what makes them stop "better" is what helps them stop better.

I agree Drilled AND slotted is the way t go if that was reasonable possible, but FWTW I'd just swap with OEM equvivalent unless I am doing some major brake upgrade...

I wouldn't consider going from a drilled rotor to a drilled and slotted rotor a MAJOR brake upgrade. LArger rotors, and calipers, THEN its a brake upgrade an makes sense to spend the extra on D/S rotors. BUt it's kinda pointless to pay double if you are just getting about the same performance.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

THe zimmerman rotors are drilled just like the OEM... They are better priced than the OEM by about 25 bucks. per rotor. the rear prices are about half. AND thay are not drilled either OEM or Zimmerman.

Point. Just because AMG uses them Does't mean they stop better.. There is more to AMG brakes than just rotors. They are much larger than ours and they have much larger calipers than ours.. All of this combined is what makes them stop "better" is what helps them stop better.

I agree Drilled AND slotted is the way t go if that was reasonable possible, but FWTW I'd just swap with OEM equvivalent unless I am doing some major brake upgrade...

I wouldn't consider going from a drilled rotor to a drilled and slotted rotor a MAJOR brake upgrade. LArger rotors, and calipers, THEN its a brake upgrade an makes sense to spend the extra on D/S rotors. BUt it's kinda pointless to pay double if you are just getting about the same performance.

BTW. THose are some bad *** wheels......
Old 02-20-2008, 04:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 M113K
Originally Posted by my06clk

BTW. THose are some bad *** wheels......
who's are you talking bout?

i was thinking of a big brake upgrade my self but not sure if its worth it i dont go to the track or anything
Old 02-20-2008, 04:17 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 S500 Sport
who's are you talking bout?

i was thinking of a big brake upgrade my self but not sure if its worth it i dont go to the track or anything
Bad *** wheels either mean really good or really bad
Old 02-20-2008, 07:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Flying Spur
thanks everyone...so zimmermann it is???.....anyone actually running any of these rotors?
Old 02-20-2008, 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ssonss1
thanks everyone...so zimmermann it is???.....anyone actually running any of these rotors?

I will be in a few weeks.. I'll let you know what I think but I'm sure i'll be happier than I am now....I have 4 and a new ( better )fuel filter in my kart from autohauz Az... I hope I didnt miss the free shipping....

02S430,

I like your wheels a lot. They go well with your car color. are those Lm5's?
I'm not doing big brakes eithr but I am going to change my calipers to red in a few weeks to go with my New look. Possibly some MandrusMillenium wheels but I kinda want to keep the double spoke 20's and see how they look after I'm done.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 M113K
correct me if im wrong but arent zimmermans OE?

my06clk,
no there Boze wheels, i took the pic off there website as im waiting for them to arrive, but once on they will look actually like that pic,( i have the same darkness tint no sport body and silver in color) i went with 245/35/20 based on several of those web calculators to keep the wheels and speedo accurate http://www.alloywheels.com/tyrecalc.asp
Old 02-21-2008, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 M113K
larger
Attached Thumbnails found some rotors..need opinions-41_bg.jpg  
Old 02-24-2008, 12:15 PM

2005 SL500, Black on Stone
I am running Zimmerman Rotors on an 02 S430. I replaced the original rotors at 36k miles on all 4 wheels with Zimmermans.

I replaced the original pads on all 4 wheels with Akebono pads. No more brake dust, and I mean NO DUST at all, which is fantastic if you like clean wheels.

So far (6k miles later), the Zimmermans seem fine. The Akebonos are slighly less "grabby" than the stock pads and require a slight bit more pressure to stop the car then the stock pads.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
W220 S65 AMG
larger
Oh **** you have dubs now?
Old 02-25-2008, 03:51 PM

2000 ML430

Having experienced the questionable quality of Zimmermans on my P-cars.. I'd spend the extra few bucks for OEM unless you are trying to add some other features to your brakes.

Slotting and drilling accomplish two seperate objectives (per Brembo engineer I spoke with last year). Drilled is OK for street, slotted is better for track use. At least that's what he told me. The Brembo site itself did not weigh in either way.

From Brembo:

What are the advantages of drilled and slotted discs?

The main advantages of drilled and slotted discs are the same: increased brake "bite", and a continuous refreshing of the brake pad surface. Drilled discs have the additional advantage of being lighter and running cooler. However, there are certain pad materials that should not be used with a drilled disc.
Old 03-15-2008, 03:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I installed zimmermanns all the way around n my car the other day..

The car brakes nice.. the rotors are fine,, I was glad to get that section of my
car back up to specs... i had a lot of issues with my old rotors but they lasted to 80K so no complaints there..

Hopefully the zimms last that long.. I sure like the way those brand new
rotors look!! I treated her to a new set of Nittos also so I'm ridin' good right now.
Old 03-16-2008, 04:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Flying Spur

The car brakes nice.. the rotors are fine,, I was glad to get that section of my
car back up to specs... i had a lot of issues with my old rotors but they lasted to 80K so no complaints there..

rotors look!! I treated her to a new set of Nittos also so I'm ridin' good right now.
good to hear i still havent ordered mine...brakes are VERY squeeky...im going to make my order either tom morn or monday morn...what pads are you running?...im looking at either the akebono from tirerack for $172 or the axxis ones from r1concepts...
Old 03-16-2008, 10:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

good to hear i still havent ordered mine...brakes are VERY squeeky...im going to make my order either tom morn or monday morn...what pads are you running?...im looking at either the akebono from tirerack for $172 or the axxis ones from r1concepts...
I bought bendix semi metallic pads from Autozone or Advanced i forgot. I paid under a hundred bick foe both sets..I'm happy ith them sthey stop the same or better that OEM minus the dusting.. and I used some high temp permatex for my squeeky rears it works nicely so far.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Flying Spur

ok i was just ordering the rotors online...my prices were wrong..its 135 per rotor for the front and 95 per rotor for the rear...what price did you get them for and from where...if this is the actual price im just going to go with the r1 concept drilled and slotted........help!
Old 04-08-2008, 10:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ok i was just ordering the rotors online...my prices were wrong..its 135 per rotor for the front and 95 per rotor for the rear...what price did you get them for and from where...if this is the actual price im just going to go with the r1 concept drilled and slotted........help!
THose are dealer prics..At least for the S430.. I don't think yours are that different.

Try AutohauzAz my total was 271.00 for all 4 shipped.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Flying Spur
THose are dealer prics..At least for the S430.. I don't think yours are that different.

Try AutohauzAz my total was 271.00 for all 4 shipped.
ok i guess the s600 rotors must be a bit diff...the total comes out to 400 before shipping...i think i might just go with the R1 concept ones
Old 04-08-2008, 11:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ok i guess the s600 rotors must be a bit diff...the total comes out to 400 before shipping...i think i might just go with the R1 concept ones
Autohauz was doing free shipping.. i don't know if they still are..
Old 04-10-2008, 08:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Flying Spur
Autohauz was doing free shipping.. i don't know if they still are..
thanks for the help...i went with the r1 concept premium rotors...drilled and slotted front and rear with axxis pads (no more cleaning the wheels every 2 days) total came out to 570$ shipped...ill post my review once they get on
Old 08-29-2008, 12:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
White S63 AMG W/Designo Interior
the r1 slotted and drilled rotors any good?
Old 08-29-2008, 12:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
SL500
I have ordered a pair of R1 cross drilled rotors for the rear, but I have returned them and put my stocks back on. The major difference between slotted and cross drilled is the fact that slotted cleans the surface constantly as more pressure is added. Also I'm sure everyone is familiar with you get what you pay for.
Scientifically some of this so called "cross drilled" rotors can be unsafe. Most companys start with a "blank disk" and drill the holes threw them to create the cross drilled look. Once metal is cooled and you drill holes through it you create microscopic cracks, which overtime and heavy usage manifest themselves into large cracks in the rotor. Thats why I stick with Brembo, they make their holes in their rotors in the molten process before it has a chance to completely cool. This reduces cracks, and makes the disks stronger.
If you don't believe me I can send u a bill of what it cost when you use those cheaper type of rotors and try to stop your car from 120+ and getting off an exit to a red light. (Somebody was looking out for me). Just something to keep in mind....if you want to know what happens when a rotor completely fractures under high speed, go to youtube. I'm pretty sure they have something interesting.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: found some rotors..need opinions