S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Help Steering feels to light on 05 S500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 s500
Help Steering feels to light on 05 S500

I have recently replaced my '01 Audi S8 with a CPO '05 S500 with the AMG sport package. Overall the S500 is a lot more luxurious, but I have a problem with the "light/overpressurized " feeling of the steering.
At highway speeds, the steering feels way to light to the point that I feel the car is not touching the ground. On my S8 I used to be able to travel the New York throughway withought touching the steering. On the S500 i constantly have to adjust the steering and I can not take my hand off of it. Another abnormal behaviour is that the steering pulls to the left, but ONLY between 65-75 mph and at other speeds it is straight. I have brand new Michelin pilot sport a/s tires on the car and the rims were replaced by the dealer last week since the old ones were bent.

Is steering in the S500 supposed to be that light, or do I need a trip back to the another dealer (the first two times I was told that the S500 not an S8 --Duh).

Thanks in advance for all the help.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Originally Posted by cgavalas
I have recently replaced my '01 Audi S8 with a CPO '05 S500 with the AMG sport package. Overall the S500 is a lot more luxurious, but I have a problem with the "light/overpressurized " feeling of the steering.
At highway speeds, the steering feels way to light to the point that I feel the car is not touching the ground. On my S8 I used to be able to travel the New York throughway withought touching the steering. On the S500 i constantly have to adjust the steering and I can not take my hand off of it. Another abnormal behaviour is that the steering pulls to the left, but ONLY between 65-75 mph and at other speeds it is straight. I have brand new Michelin pilot sport a/s tires on the car and the rims were replaced by the dealer last week since the old ones were bent.

Is steering in the S500 supposed to be that light, or do I need a trip back to the another dealer (the first two times I was told that the S500 not an S8 --Duh).
Well here's a third time... The S'' does not feel anything like the S8..

BUT.. if its pulling,, have it put on a alignment rack and verified...
It may be a tire..
Thanks in advance for all the help.[
Old 03-18-2008, 07:21 AM

2005 s500
my06clk, thank you for your answer.
Let me add to the fact that outside of the S8, I have also compared the steering feel with the 2007 C-class, (that the dealer provides as loaners) and the C-class also feels great and has the right feedback. I am expecting that there will be a difference between the classes, yet the difference between them is night and day.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:07 AM
Almost a Member!

01 S500, 02 Volvo C70, 96 Royalstar
I would say that you may need an alignment. I know I've had many cars in my days and nothing drives like the S500. I said the same thing you did about it feeling like your floating on air. Good luck.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
The reason could be the tire, the Michelin Pilot A/S have pretty horrible dry traction (great in wet though), it makes it feels like the car is gliding on the road, not a great feeling for driver. When I in a process of buying my car, I tested drive several car. I remmember one that that has that same feeling, and tire turn out to be the Michelin A/S, with probably too much air in tire too.

Lower the air to 32 psi, if it's still glide on road, you might want to switch to some stickier tire. CHeck your alignment if car is pulling to one side.

The Michelin A/S is great in rain, and seem to last forever though (tread rate 400 !!!)

Originally Posted by cgavalas

Old 03-18-2008, 01:28 PM
Banned

S
S500 is supposed to be smooth