S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Rear airmatic problem on 2000 S500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 01:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 MB S500 Designo, 2001 Porsche 996TT
Unhappy Rear airmatic problem on 2000 S500

Boy am I getting tired of this nonsense. The first time I had a suspension problem, I replaced the pump and relay, and the car went right up and had no leaks that I could find. It was fine for a (short) while, but then the rear (only) dropped down. I found some cracks in the airmatic plastic hoses just outside the pump. So, I had those replaced. Within a day or two, the right rear was dropping, and the whole right side was lower, with the left all jacked-up looking. Not only did the car look funny, driving it was a hoot, because it gets no traction in the right rear and wants to skitter sideways over bumps.

So, this time I took it to the stealer for a diagnosis. They tell me that the right rear strut needs replacing at a total cost of $1500. They of course recommend that I let them do the front strut top rebuild at a cost of over $600. Yeah right. At least they confirmed no leaks in the tops.

What do you guys recommend that I do? Should I buy my own strut and get an independent shop or even the dealer to put it in? Should I even trust this diagnosis? For what it's worth I have reason to think the dealer may actually have caused this problem when the car was in for something else recently.

Collin
Dallas, Texas