S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Xenon headlight aiming

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2002 | 04:18 PM

2000 S-500, 1998 SLK230
Question Xenon headlight aiming

For whatever reason, the service crew at my local MBZ center seems unable to aim the magic Xenon headlights in my 2000 S-500. They are a superb service team, but they quickly change the subject -- then hem and haw -- when I mention that oncoming drivers are flashing their brights at me at night, and the headlight pattern lights up the houses at the end of our street like daylight. I'd love to get some of this illumination down on the road where it belongs. When I turn them on, there is some up-and-downing of the beam on the garage wall, then blappo (!), the left headlight notches up a tad. They'd rather not deal with it, and say "the aim is OK -- it's controlled by the computer." Right, chief. Ah, well. Any thoughts?
(I have a window of opportunity here -- a cell-phoning motorist whose idea of "stop and go" freeway driving sadly did not include the "stop" part motored into the stern of this car last month. It's still in the shop (without major damage to metal or flesh, luckily). She shoved me into the car ahead, and the bumper, grille, and hood are presently being replaced. I noted an item for "re-aim headlights," so I thought I'd get the forum's advice. Any thoughts?
Old 12-03-2002 | 05:41 PM

CLK 320 Avantgarde
see below

There are two black knobs on top of each headlamp to make adjustments, one is for height and the other is for the headlamp angle). Though I have a clk with xenon, I would presume it is the same for all xenon cars, but I recommend you work on a level ground, but see if you can find them and ask your service advisor what they are for?

Nick