S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

03 S600 Pics...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2002, 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 384 Likes on 247 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
I think MB solved the identity/image problem,the 600 doesn't have to look much different than 500 or 430,the standard equipment and additional performance surely justifies price difference.For people not satisfied with that and willing to pay for even higher image there is now the Maybach.
Old 12-14-2002, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 - S600 Sport
Originally posted by Wow S500
I think in a way you said it. How would you know if you are dating a supermodel? Well of course by looking at her face. If both the supermodel and the office mouse faces were covered would you have known which one was the supermodel??? ( that is if the office mouse had the same physique as the supermodel - all the S’s look alike). The face identifies the supermodel does it not. We all are identified by our faces which is our identity and is a give away. This is exactly what I mean the S600 should have a face which will identify it as a supermodel and set it apart from the rest ( I hate to call the other S’s office mouse). I own a S500 and I love it and don’t get me wrong the S600 is a great car other wise no one would shell out that much of $$$$$ for the pleasure of owning it.
Valid points, no argument here. The problem though is the letter S in front of those numbers. S Class represents a certain body type, as does E, C, etc. Perhaps MB's answer to all this is the Maybach?
Old 12-14-2002, 12:12 PM

Originally posted by internet_mafia
Oh, and since you crowned yourself the Chief Designer of the S class, tell me how you would go about identifying a 430 from a 500, looking at the front alone? [/B]
From looking at the headrests. Unless the S430 has optional nappa leather, the normal lether will have a shine unlike that of the nappa. Or I can look at the wood grain (lighter in the 430).
Old 12-15-2002, 02:08 AM

Porsche Cayenne Turbo, 360 C.S.
hey fccorp, since you're so loaded why don't you donate me your 2002 S600 when you get your 2003 S600, i could certainly use it for the commute to the city
Old 12-15-2002, 03:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2008 BMW M6, 2008 Ducati 1098, 2008 Ducati Monster S2R1000, 1971 Ducati Scrambler
Hmm, lot's of mis-information has been posted in this thread. For those who care, we have owned five S-Class vehicles since the 2000 model year, infact we currently own a 2001 S500 and an 2002 S600, the S500 being mine. We also have a 2003 S600 on order which will be here late January or early February.

Many of you fail to realize the type of crowd that Mercedes-Benz markets the S-Class to. They market it to older people, most of the time 40+ who are business executives, etc. They do not market it to thrill-seeking people fresh out of college.

For those of you who said most people don't know the difference between an S600 and an S430, when I am driving the S600, people will give me a thumbs up, or when I am getting gas someone will ask me if I could pop the hood and show them the engine. This happens EVERYTIME I drive the S600, however when I drive the S500 four days out of the week, this never happens. The S600 is not a flashy car, nor was it intended to be. The S-Class is not designed to be "pushed to the limits" as many of the people in this thread have stated. The S600 was designed to be the ultimate Autobahn cruiser, and that is exactly what it is.

The reason people buy the S600 is simple, because they can. When you accelerate and you hear and feel that V12, it's pure pleasure. There is no rule that says just because you don't push a car to it's limits, you shouldn't own it. Most of my neighbors own Ferrari's, Porsches, etc. and have never exceeded the speed limit before.

Internet_Mafia: You say that the S600 is a waste of money? Hmmm, mabye you need to take the time to think that the crowd the S600 is marketed to isn't exactly concerned with paying more than $120,000 for a vehicle.

You also state that the performance differences between the S500 and S600 are not that different? A 4000+ pound super-sedan that goes 0-60 in 4.6 seconds isn't exactly comparable to the 6.1 second figure of the S500. You also say the S600 is for the guy who has something to prove? No, the S600 is for the guy who grew up without any parents in a shack and worked hard the first fifty years of his life to be able to live the second half of his life in a way that most people can only dream of. May I ask what car you drive, internet_mafia?

The Mercedes-Benz AMG and V12 lineups are for the true enthusiast. If you're saying the S600 is a waste of money and other things along that line, well you're obviously not a true enthusiast. Most people who buy the S600 have not a care in the world about how much it costs or what the resale value is, some people just can't accept this.
Old 12-15-2002, 07:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 384 Likes on 247 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Could'nt have said better.
Old 12-15-2002, 07:48 AM

Fiscal Neo Con Express
resale value

hi guys,

this is my two cents worth on this topic.
when it comes to the different models in the S class line i feel that each one is targeted to a different segment of the specific demographic that the overall S class appeals to.
the S430....is the affordable S.
the S500....the practicle S.
the S55...the sporty S.
the S600....the ulitimate S.

each one is slightly different in content than the other as you go up the model line while also becoming more expensive and also somewhat more exclusive.

when it comes to resale value the only way to avoid the biggest hit of depreciation is keep your car at least 5 years. when you purchase an S class your paying a premium for a great automobile that unfortunately will drop in value the moment you take ownership...just like every automobile. but...heck who ever said buying a car was an investment anyways:p !!!

one last question....does anyone know the percentage of depreciation for the S class after 3 years of ownership?
i think after 3 years it should be worth 47% of it's original purchase price.
Old 12-15-2002, 10:21 AM

2003 S500 4-matic, 2003 SL55
hey Accord those words are wise, I agree with everything u said, and with that many posts I have to believe u have picked up alot of information over the time
Old 12-16-2002, 05:39 AM
Almost a Member!

03 CL55 AMG
Thumbs up

Yeah, you pay for what you get.
Old 12-26-2002, 01:11 PM

2003 E500
Originally posted by FC Corp
You know, I did not even bother to look. MB Manhattan is factory owned so their prices are always MSRP, of course not knowing which options the car has, price could be higher than just a standard CL55.
Which is a big reason why I ordered my E from MB Greenwich. I've got an allergy to sticker price on mass-market cars.
Old 12-26-2002, 03:43 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by Accord
Hmm, lot's of mis-information has been posted in this thread. For those who care, we have owned five S-Class vehicles since the 2000 model year, infact we currently own a 2001 S500 and an 2002 S600, the S500 being mine. We also have a 2003 S600 on order which will be here late January or early February.

Many of you fail to realize the type of crowd that Mercedes-Benz markets the S-Class to. They market it to older people, most of the time 40+ who are business executives, etc. They do not market it to thrill-seeking people fresh out of college.

For those of you who said most people don't know the difference between an S600 and an S430, when I am driving the S600, people will give me a thumbs up, or when I am getting gas someone will ask me if I could pop the hood and show them the engine. This happens EVERYTIME I drive the S600, however when I drive the S500 four days out of the week, this never happens. The S600 is not a flashy car, nor was it intended to be. The S-Class is not designed to be "pushed to the limits" as many of the people in this thread have stated. The S600 was designed to be the ultimate Autobahn cruiser, and that is exactly what it is.

The reason people buy the S600 is simple, because they can. When you accelerate and you hear and feel that V12, it's pure pleasure. There is no rule that says just because you don't push a car to it's limits, you shouldn't own it. Most of my neighbors own Ferrari's, Porsches, etc. and have never exceeded the speed limit before.

Internet_Mafia: You say that the S600 is a waste of money? Hmmm, mabye you need to take the time to think that the crowd the S600 is marketed to isn't exactly concerned with paying more than $120,000 for a vehicle.

You also state that the performance differences between the S500 and S600 are not that different? A 4000+ pound super-sedan that goes 0-60 in 4.6 seconds isn't exactly comparable to the 6.1 second figure of the S500. You also say the S600 is for the guy who has something to prove? No, the S600 is for the guy who grew up without any parents in a shack and worked hard the first fifty years of his life to be able to live the second half of his life in a way that most people can only dream of. May I ask what car you drive, internet_mafia?

The Mercedes-Benz AMG and V12 lineups are for the true enthusiast. If you're saying the S600 is a waste of money and other things along that line, well you're obviously not a true enthusiast. Most people who buy the S600 have not a care in the world about how much it costs or what the resale value is, some people just can't accept this.
OMG! THANK YOU! That stuff was soo good i had to include the entire thing when i quoted you. :P