S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

airmatic to springs and shocks possible?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
s-500
scared

As these cars get older, people that are less affluent would like to own the car. Air ride is a grenade pin waiting to be pulled. Whats wrong with a little ingenuity. I mean if it keeps the car out of the junkyard whats wrong with that. Ok so you don"t have a World class ride.

Last edited by red92xblue; 12-28-2008 at 10:07 AM.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Probably nothing "wrong" with some ingenuity - but anyone who would market a retrofit kit for the W220 (and likely for the E500) would want to make a profit. I suspect strongly that most folks who buy the W220 would not trade the "world class ride" for something else. Certainly not someone who bought new.

MB isn't about to make it - they make no money from resales. And they don't owe anything to "people who are less affluent" (as you said) but who want to own a car they can't afford to maintain.

If it would pay, I suspect the retrofit kit would exist. Until then, personally, I think the W220 is better off in the hands of folks who will maintain it the way it was built. ajkennedy, above, provided a link to a pretty good way to do that - in the classic way for older cars and modest budgets, with remanufactured parts that cost 1/3 to 1/4 the price of new.

Last edited by Skylaw; 12-28-2008 at 10:19 AM.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:32 AM

S430, SL500
I dont see the point in this suggestion at all. The airmatic system isnt massively expensive to maintain at all as the link above shows. Its a superb system that i wouldnt ever want to change.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:34 AM

s-500
ok
Old 12-28-2008, 10:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
if you can't afford the airmatic replacement, you might as well buy yourself a buick.

That said
Originally Posted by Gondon
W220 is the best sedan in the world without a doubt.
Lets not get carried away .

The 221, flying spur, phantom, arnage, Lexus Ls460, Audi A8, etc are all probably better cars.

Some might even argue that the 140 is a better sedan.

I like the 220 as much as any of you, but it is NOT the best sedan in the world, and certainly not without a doubt.
Old 12-28-2008, 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BMW F02 (750Li) F10 (550i)
Originally Posted by Oliverk
if you can't afford the airmatic replacement, you might as well buy yourself a buick.

That said

Lets not get carried away .

The 221, flying spur, phantom, arnage, Lexus Ls460, Audi A8, etc are all probably better cars.

Some might even argue that the 140 is a better sedan.

I like the 220 as much as any of you, but it is NOT the best sedan in the world, and certainly not without a doubt.
for sure !!!! I'll take a w221 , LS460 , Audi not really !!!!! the others u mention are out of my league
Old 12-28-2008, 03:13 PM

2004 White S430
Originally Posted by my06clk
Pete.

What do you think a conversion will cost you $79.99?

And I beg to differ with your comments regarding the three year thing. NOt all S class cars have suspension issues. Sure, we all know that they are prone, but there are many many drivers of 200 and 2001 model S classes that have not experienced airmatic issues. But to say that they are only good for three years is just well.. wrong.

I said this before and I will submit the same to you. Name me one model of any brand car that has been around since 2000 or 1999 and is still around today in full demand.

IF you don't like your car sell t and get a different one but don't assume that just because you have heard so many complaints that everybody has them or you will.. At least with mercedes it is primarily 2000 and 2001 models that log the most issues today. That's not bad for an 8 year old car.

I'd much rather chime in here and listen to folks whine about the issues with their car because at least it reminds me that there are a lot of them still around. WHen the junk yards in this country are completely filled with many varieties of all makes of cars since 1999, it sort of refreshing to know that W220's are still very unpopular as potential junk yard dogs..

People decide to change cars every three years or so, that has nothing to do with the car. Stats will show that they just go to another owner, then to another and another..etc.. IF you can find me a list of brands that are as prestigious as this car and have the same longevity, please let me know because I can tell that the list will be quite short.

And concerning air shocks...THe lincoln continental has had airmatics also since early 2000 and they have about a 90% guaranteed disaster rate on their AIR Suspension. Just about every one of those things I see on the road are sitting on the ground.

IMO opinion, I think its insane to even think about ruining your car by trying to use regular shocks. That would be a major structural demotion. YUK. I'd just trash the thing and go get a better car if I had to resort to that.
I completely agree. If you are thinking about changing the suspension, then you purchased the wrong car.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:25 PM

S500 Silver, Range Rover HSE Black
Airbags

I think Arnott is the original maker of the airbags anyway. It's an OEM replacement with a Lifetime guarantee and can be done by ANYONE in just a couple of hours in your own garage.

When I first bought my Range Rover, one of the bags went out. Same story as here....everyone says oh no, the air suspension is out. I called the Stealership and they wanted $4,000 to replace the airbags. That's $4,000.

Okay, I didn't have it at the time, so I purchased Arnott's direct and printed out the idiot proof replacement procedure (I'm an Architect, not a mechanic) and proceeded to replace all four bags for $600 and it took just over 2 hours.

I'm no genius, but that isn't too much time to figure out a system and pay one sixth the cost for a half day at the stealership. Seriously.

When I ventured into 220 land, I was pleased to see one thing specifically - the EAS system was identical to that of my Range Rover which eliminates a large component of stress for my 220 ownership.

Of course, with the Rover ("castrating" it as the english chaps call it over there at rangerovers.net) severely impacts the ride for the off roading aspect of the vehicle. I can only imagine how it would impact the "ride" of my 220 that I enjoy now so much.

Also, switching to springs reduces resale value (not that this is a reason to do anything with our 220's).

I have to admit, I bought my 220 from a nice old lady who said the air suspension system was "shot." She deeply discounted the sales price ($5,000) for me, to which I spent about $90 for a new part in the compressor and I was as good as new again. It took me about 30 minutes to change the part. No guilt. I promise. Just appreciation for knowing where to buy the right part and how to tackle something myself instead of turning the car over to someone else.

I am not a wealthy guy, but the wealthy people I know don't overpay for ANYTHING. Until your time is worth more than the stealership charges, it is a purely financial and logical step to try to tackle certain things yourself.

I just searched "air suspension system" on this forum and am amazed at how many times the "answer" was to take it in. I'm blessed to be surrounded by so many wealthy members in this forum. If any of you guys are in the San Francisco bay area, I'd be glad to help you with your air suspension work for a fraction of the stealership price.....or better yet for free just so you can enjoy the satisfaction at avoiding the "man" for at least one thing on your 220.

Sorry - off my soapbox now.

Art in San Jose
Old 12-29-2008, 12:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Guys this is an old thread.. the OP who posted this back in may has been inactive since then and doesn't even own an W220 Nor a car with Air suspension for that matter.. so this was a pointless conversation with a clueless arrogant, well you get the picture.... anyway..

next subject...
Old 01-11-2009, 10:09 PM

2001 cl55
arnott

Originally Posted by ajkennedy
I think Arnott is the original maker of the airbags anyway. It's an OEM replacement with a Lifetime guarantee and can be done by ANYONE in just a couple of hours in your own garage.

When I first bought my Range Rover, one of the bags went out. Same story as here....everyone says oh no, the air suspension is out. I called the Stealership and they wanted $4,000 to replace the airbags. That's $4,000.

Okay, I didn't have it at the time, so I purchased Arnott's direct and printed out the idiot proof replacement procedure (I'm an Architect, not a mechanic) and proceeded to replace all four bags for $600 and it took just over 2 hours.

I'm no genius, but that isn't too much time to figure out a system and pay one sixth the cost for a half day at the stealership. Seriously.

When I ventured into 220 land, I was pleased to see one thing specifically - the EAS system was identical to that of my Range Rover which eliminates a large component of stress for my 220 ownership.

Of course, with the Rover ("castrating" it as the english chaps call it over there at rangerovers.net) severely impacts the ride for the off roading aspect of the vehicle. I can only imagine how it would impact the "ride" of my 220 that I enjoy now so much.

Also, switching to springs reduces resale value (not that this is a reason to do anything with our 220's).

I have to admit, I bought my 220 from a nice old lady who said the air suspension system was "shot." She deeply discounted the sales price ($5,000) for me, to which I spent about $90 for a new part in the compressor and I was as good as new again. It took me about 30 minutes to change the part. No guilt. I promise. Just appreciation for knowing where to buy the right part and how to tackle something myself instead of turning the car over to someone else.

I am not a wealthy guy, but the wealthy people I know don't overpay for ANYTHING. Until your time is worth more than the stealership charges, it is a purely financial and logical step to try to tackle certain things yourself.

I just searched "air suspension system" on this forum and am amazed at how many times the "answer" was to take it in. I'm blessed to be surrounded by so many wealthy members in this forum. If any of you guys are in the San Francisco bay area, I'd be glad to help you with your air suspension work for a fraction of the stealership price.....or better yet for free just so you can enjoy the satisfaction at avoiding the "man" for at least one thing on your 220.

Art in San Jose
I need to repair a leaking strut in my 01 cl55. Where do I find the aftermarket Arnott repair kit?
Thanks, Steve
Old 04-29-2010, 11:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 479 Likes on 425 Posts
Mercedes
Originally Posted by ajkennedy
. If any of you guys are in the San Francisco bay area, I'd be glad to help you with your air suspension work for a fraction of the stealership price.....or better yet for free just so you can enjoy the satisfaction at avoiding the "man" for at least one thing on your 220.

Art in San Jose
Hey Art does that offer still stand? I am int he bay area
Old 04-29-2010, 11:54 PM

2000 Mercedes Benz S500 Designo
This thread is pointless. Please do not join this forum to whine about the car. Especially the airmatic suspension.

Yes, it is a weakpoint, yes it can fail, and yes it is expensive to repair. However, it provides an amazingly smooth ride and a tight suspension when in sport mode.

The car was engineered that way for a reason. If you can't afford the benz, don't buy it.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:37 AM

2001 Mercedes S500
Haha, The OP of this thread made me LOL

EVO, I'll take the car off your hands for 1k, so you'll quit your *****ing. You can take that cash and buy a car that will never have a failing air strut!