S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

bad spindle ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 01:19 PM
gac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 S500 black/java/2011 Escalade (wifes)
bad spindle ?

anyone hear of this problem? From what I understand it's a piece that connects the tire to the body of the car and when it goes bad it causes the car to h
make a severe squeaking sound. I thought it was the control arm since I had that changed last year on the right hand side now I hear of this spindle. Does this sound right?
thanks
Old 06-14-2008, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 305 Likes on 224 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by gac
anyone hear of this problem? From what I understand it's a piece that connects the tire to the body of the car and when it goes bad it causes the car to h
make a severe squeaking sound. I thought it was the control arm since I had that changed last year on the right hand side now I hear of this spindle. Does this sound right?
thanks
The spindle holds the wheel hub. It is positioned by the control arms (front suspension) which attach to it with joints. It is also positioned by a tie rod from the steering rack, which is another joint. If any of the joint attachment points get worn, you can have problems. I don't know how often that happens (as opposed to the tie rod end or control arm or wheel bearing needing replacement), but it's certainly possible. Did you drive around with a bad control arm for a long time? Enough play could have damaged the spindle over time, I would think.
Old 06-14-2008, 08:25 PM
gac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 S500 black/java/2011 Escalade (wifes)
I just all of the sudden started hearing the squeak brought it to my mechanic and he sprayed it to temp. Stop the noise he said there is a kit that he ordered for $150.00 plus about 5 hours of labor. I've learned never to wait too long to fix any problem with these cars.