S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

NO AUDIO...tried everything HELPP!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 S430
Angry NO AUDIO...tried everything HELPP!!!

Hello there, I am new to this site and have found so much useful information. We just bought a 2001 mercedes s430 with 25,000 miles garage kept. The problem is, there is NO sound coming out of the speakers. I have run diagnostics on it, says code N1112, unplugged fuse from rear floor board box, took apart the CD changer and amp, put back together, all functions work on the HU and scans and finds channels at a very strong signal strength but nothing coming out of speakers. Run Wake Up diagnostics and everything checks out except Telephone is not checked. Do you have to have a telephone plugged in to the cradle in the center arm rest in order for the circle to be complete and the sound come out of the radio? We have tried everything we see on these forums, or what I have stumbled across, does anyone have any other ideas? When we run wake up diagnostics we here sounds (clicking) coming from speakers but like I said, telephone is not checked. Also, now that we have been removing fuses and putting them back in the control panel above the display screen does not work now. I.E., the airmatic, the back headrest, the door lock, etc, all of those buttons including the hazard lights are not working. HELP; does anyone have any any any more ideas? Is there a fuse behind the radio itself? If so, how do you get to the radio? How would you pull it out, take off the whole dash board? Thanks for any help you could give us, we have been working all day.......please help.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:53 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 S500 4MATIC
Originally Posted by beamk9
Hello there, I am new to this site and have found so much useful information. We just bought a 2001 mercedes s430 with 25,000 miles garage kept. The problem is, there is NO sound coming out of the speakers. I have run diagnostics on it, says code N1112, unplugged fuse from rear floor board box, took apart the CD changer and amp, put back together, all functions work on the HU and scans and finds channels at a very strong signal strength but nothing coming out of speakers. Run Wake Up diagnostics and everything checks out except Telephone is not checked. Do you have to have a telephone plugged in to the cradle in the center arm rest in order for the circle to be complete and the sound come out of the radio? We have tried everything we see on these forums, or what I have stumbled across, does anyone have any other ideas? When we run wake up diagnostics we here sounds (clicking) coming from speakers but like I said, telephone is not checked. Also, now that we have been removing fuses and putting them back in the control panel above the display screen does not work now. I.E., the airmatic, the back headrest, the door lock, etc, all of those buttons including the hazard lights are not working. HELP; does anyone have any any any more ideas? Is there a fuse behind the radio itself? If so, how do you get to the radio? How would you pull it out, take off the whole dash board? Thanks for any help you could give us, we have been working all day.......please help.

I had a temporary issue with sound. everything lit up and I knew I should be hearing something from the speakers, but nothing. Anyhow, I ended fiddling with the telephone stalk on the steering column, the mute button on the nav system and the telephone connection in the arm rest. I ended up getting sound back but I got it back following my exercise with the three items mentioned about. I ended up reseating the telephone properly and the sound came back on. I really think your telephone system is muting the radio. Also, have you tried to see if the SOS buttons overhead and in the arm rest are not stuck and interferring with the sound? Good Luck!
Old 06-17-2008, 09:22 PM

2001 S430
hello, there is no phone connected to the cradle in the armrest where it should be, could that be causing it? Anyway, we unplugged the battery and now I cannot get the display to even come on....YIKES....these cars are complicated. Thanks for the ideas, will try when I can get the screen to come back on.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:45 AM

2001 Mercedes s500 amg sport
Hello beamk9:

I'm terribly sorry to hear about the problems which you are encountering with your vehicle. When I originally purchased my S500, I also was astonished to find that I didn't have any sound coming from my speakers. Like yourself I initially attempted to repair the problem myself(with off site telephone support) , since the vehicle was temporarily being stored at the dealership(not MB dealer).
I ultimately contacted technicians at mbdoctor.com, who were able to diagnose and repair the problem in about 20 minutes. My cd player was bad and there was a little oxidation (corrosion) at one of the fiber optics contacts in the trunk of the car.
As you probably know, your telephony,radio, and cd player are all on a fiber optics loop. If there isn't continuity along that loop,none of those items will function. I highly recommend that you contact a qualified technician to repair the problem. This will most likely save you a lot of time and prevent you from wasting money and compounding the problem by making silly mistakes. The technicians that I used(in the NYC area) charged me a fraction of the MB hourly diagnostic rate.

Good Luck