S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Naughty Lumbar support

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 06:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB S320 CDI
Naughty Lumbar support

I'm hoping that somone might be able to shed some light on my tiresome lumber support fault on the front seats.

The car is a S320cdi 2000 and the lumbar support stopped functioning some while ago on both seats.

I had to remove the battery today and when replaced to my delight for a few minutes the air started pumping into the seats again, I know this is not an unheard of phenomenon however after a few minutes I was back to square one. No air.

Does anyone have any ideas on where I should be making some investigations?

Thx in adavance.

B320
Old 08-21-2008, 08:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 316 Likes on 233 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by Benzene320
I'm hoping that somone might be able to shed some light on my tiresome lumber support fault on the front seats.

The car is a S320cdi 2000 and the lumbar support stopped functioning some while ago on both seats.

I had to remove the battery today and when replaced to my delight for a few minutes the air started pumping into the seats again, I know this is not an unheard of phenomenon however after a few minutes I was back to square one. No air.

Does anyone have any ideas on where I should be making some investigations?

Thx in adavance.

B320
That's usually a sign that the pump is bad or there's a leak. The system shuts down to protect the pump if it is a leak. Pulling the fuse (or battery) will reset the overload protection, but it will cut out again shortly unless the leak is fixed. At least half the time it turns out to be the pump itself though.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:11 AM

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
2010 W204, 2014 W212, 2015 W222, 07 SAAB 9-3, 2016 AMG GTS
I have the same problem, Its the PSE pump that locate inside your trunk ! The PSE pump support the air for your seat, door(soft close) and the trunk(open & close,if you have this option). You can buy a new one from dealer for about $700, you can put it on yourself, but after install the new one, you need Mercedes Star computer to start it up, otherwise ,Not working !! Or you can buy a used one from ebay for about $250, then you don't need the Star system from dealer. Just start up the car and wait for a min, it should work. Let me know if you need a PSE pump, I have one for sale for $220 shipped ( I order it from ebay and later I found out some tube is leaks air, because I try to pull fuse and disconnect battery, not things happen. but you said yours will work for a while after disconnect the battery, so you don't have a leak or burn fuse!) Let me know!!
Old 08-23-2008, 01:05 PM

MB S320 CDI
Guys
Many thanks for your input.....It's a leak I think - If I listen carefully I can hear the barely audible hiss from under the drivers seat.
Further investigations to be made....
Watch this space.

B320
Old 08-24-2008, 04:51 PM

MB S320 CDI
Smile

Happy days or so it would seem. The small expansion reservoir under the seat had a small crack around the rubber seal.

Painted and filled liberally with fiberglass resin and I'm back in business (or off to the stealers for a replacement!)

Only time will tell - but you gotta try eh?

Thanks again

B320.