Rattle from dash is driving me insane

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 11:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW E39
Rattle from dash is driving me insane

It sounds like metallic ringing and it's coming from the instrument cluster area. I can punch my steering wheel lightly and I'll hear it. While my dealer was replacing my cluster, I asked them to check it out, but they said that the rattle isn't coming from the cluster, nor can they pinpoint anything behind the cluster. If I wanted it diagnosed, they would have to charge me massive amounts of labor and take apart the entire dash.

What do I do? I've been putting up with this rattle for the past year or so. I may have to shoot myself. Just kidding. But seriously.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 MB S500, 1999 BMW 540iA, 1998 Cadillac Seville SLS, 2000 Nissan Maxima GLE
Windshield noise/rattle.

I too have a rattle that seems to emanate from the base of the windshield on the driver's side. It almost sounds like a glass marble that's tapping against the glass. It's not too terribly loud, and it comes and goes, but it drives me batty because I can't seem to isolate the cause for the life of me! I haven't taken it to the dealer because of it's intermittent nature. Anyone have any idea as to what it could be? Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails Rattle from dash is driving me insane-image-279-.jpg   Rattle from dash is driving me insane-image-245-large-.jpg