Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 01:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Nav DVD overheating....

Hello All..

For a few weeks now I have been noticing my NAV Unit overheating causing the system to shutdown and reboot. Upon shutdown I get a message on my screen that says Incorrect version of Nav DVD. I know this is wrong becausr I have been using the same DVD almost two years..

Anyhow after I let the system cool, it works fine.. its only during the day when its 98 and above do I get this problem. It usually functions fine at night when its cooler outside.

Just for S&G's I made a new DVD and I will test it during the day tomorrow.
maybe the constant heat has damaged my DVDdisk somehow and it gets hotter than usual?? I'll try with the new media and see if this solves the problem.

I took apart my drive and there is no fan inside. I thought this may be the problem as I have never had a overheat issue prior to this.

Anyone had this problem before?? This is on my 2004 S430.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:02 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your system is not overheating. It just needs a system flush. Take it to the dealer and have them flush the system and do a firmware update if any is needed. What version DVD are you using? If you are using an older version like 04,05 or even 06.1 you need some updates to your system. If you are using the new 2008.1 disc then the updates have been done. Someone can correct me if am wrong. When you start the cars and it's taking some time to load the disc, that another indication that you need these updates.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by kenstudios
Your system is not overheating. It just needs a system flush. Take it to the dealer and have them flush the system and do a firmware update if any is needed. What version DVD are you using? If you are using an older version like 04,05 or even 06.1 you need some updates to your system. If you are using the new 2008.1 disc then the updates have been done. Someone can correct me if am wrong. When you start the cars and it's taking some time to load the disc, that another indication that you need these updates.
No doubting you or anything.... but flush just sounds strange to me.. I have however forced the software to reload.. I'll see if that fixes the problem..
I have been using the 2006.1 DvD.

Things is, I drive at night for hours and hours and the system never acts up. I drive for 45 minutes and mid-day and it shuts down.. It's very hard for me to believe thats not related to the heat. I never have and issue during the night hours and I drive a lot at night. Its to the point where my Nav is almost non functional during the day.. HOw can this be software? The only diff between day and night is the temp drops 15 to 20 degrees of more.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
MY, in the left equipment bay in your trunk there is a vent; it looks kind of like a black toaster waffle. Has it become covered or blocked?

You can see it in the photo at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/atta...bay-2-copy.jpg under the label "VCS Module."
Old 09-04-2008, 09:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Skylaw
MY, in the left equipment bay in your trunk there is a vent; it looks kind of like a black toaster waffle. Has it become covered or blocked?

You can see it in the photo at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/atta...bay-2-copy.jpg under the label "VCS Module."
Sky,

Thanks for the pic. I took the cover off removed everything the vent looks okay. I opened up all of the louvers to make sure there was no obstruction.

Yesterday when I put my Nav DVD back together and reloaded the software It ran the entire day without fail It was a cooler than normal day yesterday also so I wil need to try it for a few days before closing the book on this issue.

Also when I but the drive back in, I had no Audio for some reason, which was weird. So, while I was checking the vent, I looked at all of the fuses, all of my MOST connections, and actually removed the big connector from the BOSE amp as shown in the pic and reinstalled it Afterward my Audio came back.

I also took the time to looked over my PSE pump and connections while I was in the neighborhood just for PM purposes.

As of now, everything is back to normal, I am using a different DVD as I suspected there may have been something wrong with the previous media. It was a copy of my original DVD so the media may have had a short lifespan. It was a memorex DVD+R. My new program is running on a Maxell Gold DVD-r. These seem to work better in my comand so I'll see if that finally cures my issue. So far so good.
Old 09-06-2008, 06:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Update...

Well its been three days and I haven't had a single problem since I did what I said in the previous posts.. System is working like a champ again...

Thanks for all the input everyone..