CAR WONT START AFTER STORM!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01 s600
CAR WONT START AFTER STORM!!!

Hey everyone,

So I have a PROBLEM!! I went to move my car in the driveway because the street was getting flooded from the heavy rains we are having in NJ right now. The water was just under my side skirts(01 S600 with AMG aero kit). When I started the car and started pulling in the driveway, all the lights inside started flickering, the display in the instrument cluster said "defective display, visit workshop", the rear shade for the rear window went up by itself, the door locks wouldn't open or close with the remote, the rear brake lights stay on, etc..Major stuff going on. So when I turned the car off and tried to start the car again, it would start for maybe 2 seconds and then shut off. Now the car will only try to turn but wont start. I checked the floor and nothing seems to be wet inside. Can anyone please tell me what to do and do you think if it dries out, it will fix itself? Thanks for any feedback!!
Old 09-06-2008, 09:40 PM
Banned

02 S500 Sport
Just go to sleep and hope it starts tommorow morning !
Old 09-06-2008, 09:50 PM

Location: Alabama gulf coast, formerly Charlottesville, Virginia
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 W220 (S430), 2001 R129 (SL500 Sport)
I've just read a ton of threads on the "other" forum from Florida with the same problem. The general conclusion of those threading is you're screwed. Apparently the water gets into the wiring harnesses that run under the carpet all throughout the interior and shorts them out. All the computing stuff that's under the back seat gets wet, then you get Tokyo by night with your electrics. Drying everything out is a tedious, expensive, and if-you-don't-do-it-just-right-you're-screwed-again.

Apparently, W220s and high water don't mix. One tech who is working in China and has 8 W220s in his shop with water-related problems says the cheapest fix is to buy a BMW 745, since they don't seem to have the problem.

With Ike looking like he's coming up my street, I'll lock my W220 in my snug garage (along with the Lexus LS 430), close the 150 mph wind rated door, and drive my son's Jetta 'till the streets dry.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:53 PM

01 s600
ok,
so i took the cover off the rear passenger side footwell light where the fuses are and there is water in there. What do I do? Is there a drain that is clogged that I have to clear out? Please, any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Flying Spur
Originally Posted by twinz
ok,
so i took the cover off the rear passenger side footwell light where the fuses are and there is water in there. What do I do? Is there a drain that is clogged that I have to clear out? Please, any info would be greatly appreciated.
and i thought misfiring was bad...sorry to hear but from the sounds of it your in for $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$......hope your insurance will cover it..
Old 09-07-2008, 05:04 AM

S430, SL500
Surely your insurance will cover this? I dont know what american insurance is like, but in the UK this sort of thing (along with accidents) is exactly why we have it. The result would be either the car repaired at a Mercedes main dealer, or a payout for the market value of the car should the repairs be too costly.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:02 AM
Almost a Member!

S500
Originally Posted by DrJfrmLA
I've just read a ton of threads on the "other" forum from Florida with the same problem. The general conclusion of those threading is you're screwed. Apparently the water gets into the wiring harnesses that run under the carpet all throughout the interior and shorts them out. All the computing stuff that's under the back seat gets wet, then you get Tokyo by night with your electrics. Drying everything out is a tedious, expensive, and if-you-don't-do-it-just-right-you're-screwed-again.

Apparently, W220s and high water don't mix. One tech who is working in China and has 8 W220s in his shop with water-related problems says the cheapest fix is to buy a BMW 745, since they don't seem to have the problem.

With Ike looking like he's coming up my street, I'll lock my W220 in my snug garage (along with the Lexus LS 430), close the 150 mph wind rated door, and drive my son's Jetta 'till the streets dry.

I had a water intrusion issue with my 02 S500. It had nothing to do with high water and was a design issue of the vehicle. I had been parking it under a tree which dropped quite a bit of leaves. The leaves clogged up an air intake just in front of the windsheild glass on the passenger side of the car. The water had nowhere to go and as it overflowed, it went right down into the interior of the car.

The shop I took it to was very thorough at what they were doing and took the carpets, seats, etc out and dried everything properly from what I could tell. They also worked with State Farm to make sure everything woul dbe covered.

The total bill was $1794.50. Including a new battery, the rear SAM unit, rear fuse box and relays, brake light switch, resetting of codes for air suspension, fuel gauge and sunroof.

All of it was covered by State Farm except my deductible.
They also made sure that a bunch of other electronic stuff was written in the report in the event that something else should go out, SF would be more likely to cover it on down the road.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey everyone,

So I have a PROBLEM!! I went to move my car in the driveway because the street was getting flooded from the heavy rains we are having in NJ right now. The water was just under my side skirts(01 S600 with AMG aero kit). When I started the car and started pulling in the driveway, all the lights inside started flickering, the display in the instrument cluster said "defective display, visit workshop", the rear shade for the rear window went up by itself, the door locks wouldn't open or close with the remote, the rear brake lights stay on, etc..Major stuff going on. So when I turned the car off and tried to start the car again, it would start for maybe 2 seconds and then shut off. Now the car will only try to turn but wont start. I checked the floor and nothing seems to be wet inside. Can anyone please tell me what to do and do you think if it dries out, it will fix itself? Thanks for any feedback!!
Relax. Water gets on that fuse box under the back seat which is referred to as the rear SAM (Signal activity module) and shorts out everything all over the place. Corrosion causes the problem and your car tries to send power to all those components connected or powered by thatt SAM. Get a new rear SAM and your problems will go away. I had a pic of my old 2000 corroded SAM but I cant find it. It runs about $700 without new fuses and relays. I would disconnect the battery to avoid further damage as the power is still trying to run through.
Old 09-07-2008, 01:25 PM

01 s600
Thanks for the replies everyone. I disconnected the battery today and let it dry up a bit I hope. I am going to see if it starts tomorrow and if not, then I will bring it to the dealer and hopefully it will be covered under my insurance. Any other input would be greatly apprecitated.
Old 09-07-2008, 03:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 311 Likes on 229 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Thanks for the replies everyone. I disconnected the battery today and let it dry up a bit I hope. I am going to see if it starts tomorrow and if not, then I will bring it to the dealer and hopefully it will be covered under my insurance. Any other input would be greatly apprecitated.
Don't try to start it. Have it towed. Chances are that what's fried is fried, but if a SAM (one of the most expensive probably fried components) tries to sputter to life it could take out more components. You should have disconnected the battery and left it disconnected. Might as well do that now. Trying to see if it will start is asking to up the ante.
Old 10-25-2008, 06:37 PM

cl55 amg
Originally Posted by kenstudios
Relax. Water gets on that fuse box under the back seat which is referred to as the rear SAM (Signal activity module) and shorts out everything all over the place. Corrosion causes the problem and your car tries to send power to all those components connected or powered by thatt SAM. Get a new rear SAM and your problems will go away. I had a pic of my old 2000 corroded SAM but I cant find it. It runs about $700 without new fuses and relays. I would disconnect the battery to avoid further damage as the power is still trying to run through.
2002 CL55 AMG. Brake lights out, horn not working, fob won't lock the car, tag light on & won't turn off - "display defective" on dash & gas gauge not working, windows won't close properly - I was devastated as I just bought the car and it looks & runs so beautifully!

Thanks to all the ideas on this thread-I removed the backseats and there was water all over the place on the floorboard under the SAM on the passenger side (1/2 inch deep). Dried it all out, disconnected the battery and reconnected - now everything is back working like usual - now I just have to figure out how the blasted water got there to begin with!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-25-2008, 08:36 PM
Banned

02 S500 Sport
Originally Posted by kevanevans
2002 CL55 AMG. Brake lights out, horn not working, fob won't lock the car, tag light on & won't turn off - "display defective" on dash & gas gauge not working, windows won't close properly - I was devastated as I just bought the car and it looks & runs so beautifully!

Thanks to all the ideas on this thread-I removed the backseats and there was water all over the place on the floorboard under the SAM on the passenger side (1/2 inch deep). Dried it all out, disconnected the battery and reconnected - now everything is back working like usual - now I just have to figure out how the blasted water got there to begin with!!!!!!!!!
https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w220/265605-2nd-s-flooded-week-s-owners-keep-your-drains-clean.html
Old 10-25-2008, 11:29 PM
Former Vendor

Any AMG Thats Around..
i was just going to put a link to my thread on there....

If you need it fixed let me know.... (other then the dealer)...

I offer flatbed service.....

im just finishing another one... #4....
Old 10-26-2008, 01:07 PM

2000 S430
The other day a friend went through a car wash , the car started acting all funny, lights flickering , trans holding gears , bucking. He tried to cycle the power on the car by turning it on and off. It wouldn't turn back on. He called me , I told him to check the drain , he said the entire drain was full of water. He used a long stick to clear the drain and watch about 2 gallons of water fall to the ground. He checked the rear fusebox and saw no water and said the carpet felt dry. Disconnected the battery car wont start. Had to get it towed. I don't know if its related but sure sounds like it. What is the cost of this repair?
Old 10-26-2008, 07:48 PM
Former Vendor

Any AMG Thats Around..
Originally Posted by illmeth0d
The other day a friend went through a car wash , the car started acting all funny, lights flickering , trans holding gears , bucking. He tried to cycle the power on the car by turning it on and off. It wouldn't turn back on. He called me , I told him to check the drain , he said the entire drain was full of water. He used a long stick to clear the drain and watch about 2 gallons of water fall to the ground. He checked the rear fusebox and saw no water and said the carpet felt dry. Disconnected the battery car wont start. Had to get it towed. I don't know if its related but sure sounds like it. What is the cost of this repair?
tail lights flickering is one of the symptoms... carpet usually does not feel wet.. there is a few inches of sponge between the top of the carpet and floor...

i hate to quote without seeing the car.... but depending on options the car has and what has gotten wet... we have had bills from $1100 to $4500.... most being in the $1500-$1800 area....
Old 10-27-2008, 02:58 PM

2000 S430
Originally Posted by TuneTime
tail lights flickering is one of the symptoms... carpet usually does not feel wet.. there is a few inches of sponge between the top of the carpet and floor...

i hate to quote without seeing the car.... but depending on options the car has and what has gotten wet... we have had bills from $1100 to $4500.... most being in the $1500-$1800 area....
His mechanic says , the only thing fried is the tranmission computer? 022 545 5132 . Will this part prevent the car from starting?
Old 10-27-2008, 03:14 PM
Former Vendor

Any AMG Thats Around..
His mechanic says , the only thing fried is the tranmission computer? 022 545 5132 . Will this part prevent the car from starting?
Its prob filled with tranny fluid and not water... Sounds like 2 seperate issues...

If the rear sam is wet it will mess with the fuel pump... so there is your no start condition.. Check for fuel pressure...

The tranny CPU getting filled with trans fluid is also a common problem.. leaks out of the trans... Forces its way up the harness and dumps into the control module... But again.. i have never seen one of the trans units get wet from water....
Old 10-27-2008, 03:16 PM
Former Vendor

Any AMG Thats Around..
it is possable.... not common... it would start and just shift like hot garbage....
Old 03-01-2010, 11:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
CLASS ACTION SETTLEMENT ON REED VALVE FLOODING PROBLEM

chibenz has posted the following that affects U.S. owners of W215s and W220s that have been or may have been affected by flooding of the A/C wells in front of the windshield. Such flooding sometimes resulted in damage to the SAM units under the seats, causing problems with switches and operating components. The settlement applies to current owners, and in some circumstances, to past owners, nationally. See http://www.reedvalvesettlement.com/ The deadline to file a claim for damages, if you qualify, will be Sept 16, 2010.

Thanks, chibenz!

Last edited by Skylaw; 03-02-2010 at 12:08 AM.